Fake: Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and It Shoots 4K

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Re: Leaked: Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and It Shoots 4K

scotsman said:
At first glance this looks like a really nice camera, and I'm very interested as I'm looking to replace my S110, but I'm just a bit suspicious about the design. Is this a new design departure for Canon? The style and decals are very different from all previous Canons - the model number on the front of Powewrshots is always in italics, and the "bin" symbol on the back is different. The controls also seem ultrta-minimalist - surely on a camera that boasts 4K video, there would be a dedicated "record" button? I also just burnt my dinner typing this, so that's really got me upset!
Pretty much everything is a departure. But this would be one elaborate ruse if it is one. Three control rings/dials (front, top, and back), hot shoe, pop-up flash (where's the manual release?), etc.

My guess, this is the next evolution with most things controls on the touch screen. Minimalist. But, the buttons on the G7XII are a bit too close together for my liking (I am often accidentally switch to MF, for example), so this could be a very nice evolution, depending on how Canon does it, but they usually do the ergonomics very well.

Upvote 0

I've found the pug's picture online.

Canon-G7X-Mark-III-camera3.jpg

vs.
photo-1509559320938-387dfd4e966b

source: https://unsplash.com/photos/jiqbWnkkgzI

Maybe a hint that the whole leak is a fake? Weird new design, completely different User Interface, 4K, USB-C, another use of Sony's sensors... It stinks to me.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

there's a CGI quality to these images that makes me stop and wonder if this entire thing isn't mocked up (as someone showed the LCD screen image is certainly mocked up).

the top dial doesn't have EC on it, which means that canon is actually removing the EC dial from the G7X Mark III - which would be a surprise.
also they really have gone with the red accent detail, which is entirely missing from this camera.

The UI isn't a canon UI.

the video record time says 60 minutes and 45 seconds, which is 30 mins + too long.

there's no flash release button, even though it has a flash.

It's getting a hotshoe even though the G7X series never had one before and that adds case thickness.

it doesn't say powershot anywhere, and powershots ALWAYS say powershot somewhere.

edit:

there's no microphone holes for left / right microphones.

there's no lever for silent versus clicky lens dial

add some more:

there's no infrared sensor in the front of the camera.

and FINALLY.

there is no record button. PASM dial.

Upvote 0

scotsman said:
At first glance this looks like a really nice camera, and I'm very interested as I'm looking to replace my S110, but I'm just a bit suspicious about the design. Is this a new design departure for Canon? The style and decals are very different from all previous Canons - the model number on the front of Powewrshots is always in italics, and the "bin" symbol on the back is different. The controls also seem ultrta-minimalist - surely on a camera that boasts 4K video, there would be a dedicated "record" button? I also just burnt my dinner typing this, so that's really got me upset!

Tapping the record touch screen button would suffice. It may allow you to go into video mode and the shutter becomes the record button. I would like that to be the case, but I have no hopes on this being real.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

rrcphoto said:
there's a CGI quality to these images that makes me stop and wonder if this entire thing isn't mocked up (as someone showed the LCD screen image is certainly mocked up).

the top dial doesn't have EC on it, which means that canon is actually removing the EC dial from the G7X Mark III - which would be a surprise.
also they really have gone with the red accent detail, which is entirely missing from this camera.

The UI isn't a canon UI.

the video record time says 60 minutes and 45 seconds, which is 30 mins + too long.

there's no flash release button, even though it has a flash.

It's getting a hotshoe even though the G7X series never had one before and that adds case thickness.

it doesn't say powershot anywhere, and powershots ALWAYS say powershot somewhere.

I am not expert, but I am also growing skeptical. I am looking at my G7X II. It doesn't say powershot on it, so I do not think that is a factor, but here are a few observations:
  • no observable wifi button
  • A nice addition to the II vs the I was the switch that changed the front ring to and from a smooth motion, that is lost in the attached pics, which seems unlikely to me
  • I can accept the new fonts and user interface. Looks more modern and trendy, and maybe Canon is making that push, but look at the "OK" instead of "set" seems really off. Every Canon camera I have has "Set" in the center of the back dial, not "OK"
  • "Breccia" is a rock, I have no clue about that
  • Looking at the middle picture, the side just is not thick enough. Could be an angle, but looks wrong

I can get around the hot shoe and mic jack, as this is a popular vlogging camera and those fit that market well.

So, could be that this is legit, but it is a massive departure for Canon, a company not known for massive departures. Also, some things really do look off, even if they decided to make a big change.

I am now a skeptic.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

docsmith said:
It doesn't say powershot on it

should say it on the top. center.

as far as the other stuff .. yeah .. i added a bunch later.. no PASM, no set menu button, no record, no microphone holes, no infrared sensor, etc

just too much stuff in there that is different and canon never changes a camera drastically on a Mark n update.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

rrcphoto said:
docsmith said:
It doesn't say powershot on it

should say it on the top. center.

as far as the other stuff .. yeah .. i added a bunch later.. no PASM, no set menu button, no record, no microphone holes, no infrared sensor, etc

just too much stuff in there that is different and canon never changes a camera drastically on a Mark n update.
"USB-C"...previously Canon always used the USB symbol.

This is almost an exercise in perspective...seeing what you want to see, but as soon as you cast in doubt, there are issues all over the place.

And you are right, "Powershot" is written across the top of the G7X II.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

angrykarl said:
I've found the pug's picture online.

Canon-G7X-Mark-III-camera3.jpg

vs.
photo-1509559320938-387dfd4e966b

source: https://unsplash.com/photos/jiqbWnkkgzI

Maybe a hint that the whole leak is a fake? Weird new design, completely different User Interface, 4K, USB-C, another use of Sony's sensors... It stinks to me.
fake and what a weird dog picture for a big company.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

scotsman said:

Hah! I thought exactly the same thing: this looks like a super version of my S110! However, it looks awfully rendered and too minimalist for Canon, especially in the physical control department. Also, USB-C seems highly unlikely for Canon.

We'll see, I guess :D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Tugela said:
It is pretty unlikely that Canon would use random free photos for their marketing mockups

Always good to see that your knowledge and understanding remain at their typical level.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-italy-posts-image-with-stolen-elements-no-credit-and-taken-on-a-fuji/

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

LDS said:
rrcphoto said:

Maybe the recent EU-Japan agreement finally got rid of that stupid limitation due to import taxes... ;D

But I'm not that sure...

Or perhaps it is an estimate of how much time is left before the card is full......

Upvote 0