Fall Foliage Trip - Your advice please.

Hi Everyone,

We'd like to take a little trip (1wk max) from the Eastern Shore (Ocean City,MD) to Gatlinburg, TN.
Are there any must see places along the way or nearby? I use AAA's trip planner but it's a pain in the..
The skyline drive is on the list, but I was wondering if you have any advice on other natural wonders, water falls, lakes, etc.. close by.
Sorry, forgot to mention, leaving next week.
Thank you in advance.

Attila.

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
Haha, true! I was glad I had one tidbit of advice! The nikon d800 with its 460 megapickles and magical over-the-possible-limit of DR from Dxo, is all I would bring. And the kit lens is nice enough, because the more megapickles makes it superior to canon L glass, which is just over priced. If you dont have a D800 or maybe the d3100 you should just stay home, your trip will be meaningless otherwise. the Ipone has a great screen protector. My 1DX has glitches. I've only ever used my 5dIII for video, and I need to take a pic, how do I do it!?

Haha ok enough cliche' I hope more people help you out!

Upvote 0
picturesbyme said:
Thank you Ryan, I'll check it out.
We wanted to see the Natural Bridge in KY so we figured we go south this time, but next year it's North..

For Vermont the NEK (Northeast Kingdom) and Stowe area can have some really strong colors, need to hit them first week of October.

Higher parts of the Smoky Mtns or Blue Ridge can turns fairly early too, vastly earlier than most of the rest of the South.

(all that depending on dec 21 st of course :)) )

good call

Upvote 0
Thank you I'll check out VT next year...
..and I like the Mill idea (and the photo too), we wanted to shoot some portraits on the way. It could be a nice background...

True the timing is really tricky... I saw photos shot from the skyline drive a couple days ago and the colors were already peaking while KY still has a lot of green...

Upvote 0
NEK of VT (somewhat colorful ;D):
p1201877788-5.jpg

Upvote 0
Ryan708 said:
I hope you had fun on your trip! The shots you posted look good so far!
I have some very similar jelly shots as your first two, from the boston aquarium.
I REALLY like your third shot of the jelly!

sorry, i missed this.. :-[

Thank you Ryan.
Per you recommendation we went to see the Grand Caverns.
It was awesome. It is pretty big and we only saw part of it. It was a small group. In fact only 4 of us :)
They allowed us to use flash and tripod. The only requirement was not to stay behind... Which isn't possible if you want to set up a tripod for a shoot... :(
Anyhow my GF did some ninja tricks and disappeared in the shadows to take some photos but I'd like to go back one day and spend a little longer time there as they do tours for photogs as well...

Upvote 0