Famous icons in your city

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
I live in a small, unincorporated community in rural Texas, whose only claim to "fame" is The Salt Lick Barbecue. I don't have a photo of that (it's pretty hard to get a shot that isn't infested with diners / tourists), but here's a shot of the only other "landmark" in town ...

(Oh, by the way, the owner has restored the gas pump since I took this shot in 2008.)

Attachments

• Downtown Driftwood, Texas.jpg
    Downtown Driftwood, Texas.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
This is not actually my city, but it is my father in law´s birth place. This is the UNESCO World Heritage town Røros. It is a copper mining community, established in 1684. Very harsh environment, very hard work and lots of stories. This is the clock tower, which was used to call anything from start and end of the various shifts, breaks, fires etc. In the back ground the iconic church, which has just been restored. Well worth a visit.

1DX, Zeiss 35/1.4
1/100s, f5.6, ISO1250

Attachments

• _D7T2622.jpg
    _D7T2622.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 391
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Eldar said:
This is not actually my city, but it is my father in law´s birth place. This is the UNESCO World Heritage town Røros. It is a copper mining community, established in 1684. Very harsh environment, very hard work and lots of stories. This is the clock tower, which was used to call anything from start and end of the various shifts, breaks, fires etc. In the back ground the iconic church, which has just been restored. Well worth a visit.

1DX, Zeiss 35/1.4
1/100s, f5.6, ISO1250

Love the foreground contrast with the fog-enshrouded church.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Eldar said:

1DX, Zeiss 35/1.4
1/100s, f5.6, ISO1250

Love the foreground contrast with the fog-enshrouded church.
Thanks John, much appreciated!

Upvote 0
JonAustin said:
I live in a small, unincorporated community in rural Texas, whose only claim to "fame" is The Salt Lick Barbecue. I don't have a photo of that (it's pretty hard to get a shot that isn't infested with diners / tourists), but here's a shot of the only other "landmark" in town ...

(Oh, by the way, the owner has restored the gas pump since I took this shot in 2008.)

This is a very nice shot.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Homeplace of KrispyKreme Doughnuts= Winston-Salem/ Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.
When I have guests from another country, I must bring them to eat great doughnuts " melt in our mouth" there-Fresh Making Doughnuts= Super Yummy.
Enjoy
Surapon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krispy_Kreme

Attachments

• D17.jpg
    D17.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 325
  • D16.jpg
    D16.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 307
  • D15.jpg
    D15.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 337
  • D14.jpg
    D14.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 319
  • D13.jpg
    D13.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
g2 said:
Hey guys, how you going!

I'm re-upping my two pictures, the previous post got garbled. Surprisingly high density of people from my town on CR, I never thought until looking at this thread!

So greetings from the city that doesn't manage to finish building an airport, but sinks it's whole budget into the attempt. The Berlin megalomania is a common disease that affects local politicians since decades. If you're the capital, you have to be important - being broke only qualifies as a minor distraction from building the next Pyramids :-\

axel-luessow_foto030-de_59X8UNAX_700W_web_loop.gif

Upvote 0

Jules

Sunset Lover
Dec 1, 2011
Paris
Marsu42 said:
g2 said:
Hey guys, how you going!

I'm re-upping my two pictures, the previous post got garbled. Surprisingly high density of people from my town on CR, I never thought until looking at this thread!

So greetings from the city that doesn't manage to finish building an airport, but sinks it's whole budget into the attempt. The Berlin megalomania is a common disease that affects local politicians since decades. If you're the capital, you have to be important - being broke only qualifies as a minor distraction from building the next Pyramids :-\

Very nice shots ! Love that city, and not only because of my local exes :) ... i've been taking quite a few tail-lights trails pics in front of the gate ... Congrats as you've even managed to get a 3rd icon in both pics : the TV tower !

Upvote 0

Jules

Sunset Lover
Dec 1, 2011
Paris
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
Since someone already posted the most famous city icon, this will have to do. You get a Two Fer with this one. A 2CV _and_ l'avenue des Champs-Élysées. ;)
Ah, yes indeed, the Arc ... Nice one ... It just reminded me that i have one of my most awaited sunset from there : only 2 opportunities of 2-3 days per year (May / August) with the sun setting just under the Arc de Triomphe ... you have to get lucky with the weather, and more than 2 hours wait to get a decent spot in the middle of the Concorde square among hundreds of photographers !

Attachments

• Paris_Champs-Elysees_Sunset_20100802_EOS40D_4058_small.jpg
    Paris_Champs-Elysees_Sunset_20100802_EOS40D_4058_small.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,210
Upvote 0