Feature update announcements coming to the Canon EOS R and Canon Cinema EOS C200 ahead of NAB

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
UPDATE: We’re adding to the information about Canon’s NAB announcements coming next week.

The long-rumoured SUMIRE prime PL mount lens series will be announced. They’ll match the EF versions as far as focal lengths, but the optical formulas will be different.
Two BCTV lenses are coming, both will be 4K. Specs aren’t known at this time, but one will likely be telephoto and the other with IS for ENG purposes (B4 mount).
Four 4K camcorders, XA40/45 and XA50/55. All of them as priced below the XF405/400 and will be able to shoot 4k30p. The XA50/55 have a 1″ sensor and DualPixelAF with a 15x zoom lens, while the XA40/45 have a smaller sensor with a 20x zoom lens.
They may also unveil the development of a new cinema camera and 4K reference display. The display could be 30″ and DolbyVision certified.

Canon is going to be announcing new gear ahead of NAB on April 3 (depending on where you are on the planet) and it’s going to be a busy show for the company.
Below is a new summary...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Aug 26, 2015
Apart from the rolling shutter, the EOS R's image might top the C100 series and probably not that far off the C200.
This is not very Canon-like to be honest (so I am quite sceptical), but it would enable them to keep selling this camera for video purposes as well (and those pricey EF ND adapters could be in high demand), and of course Atomos probably made some kind of a deal with them, too because now their recorder is certainly more attractive.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
You mean like all RAW capable cameras on the market? Excluding the pocket cinema which is even smaller with its 4/3 sensor... this is amazing news!!! I might get the sigma 18-35 now along the atomos ninja 5. Wow!!

This is a reason that would get me to buy the EOS R. IBIS would be another, but that will arrive in the R Mark II!

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
External RAW on EOS R?
Did canon management change?
No, no change. Their wives told them finally what to do.
The camera is weak. With this, who knows, maybe a Christmas gift? Let's see how the eye focus improvement looks like.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Apart from the rolling shutter, the EOS R's image might top the C100 series and probably not that far off the C200.
This is not very Canon-like to be honest (so I am quite sceptical), but it would enable them to keep selling this camera for video purposes as well (and those pricey EF ND adapters could be in high demand), and of course Atomos probably made some kind of a deal with them, too because now their recorder is certainly more attractive.

I imagine that Atomos made the same deal with Canon that they made with Nikon for the Z6 and Z7 that is supposed to record external pro res raw to the new Ninja recorder, not complete raw. Either way, I'll buy one same day if they do it. Now only if the darn thing would capture DCI 4k instead of UHD...

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Identical to Super 35 with horrendous rolling shutter ;)

Now if Canon announced a firmware update to make the EOS-R do FF 4K 60p, that would really be surprising. But they're not going to do that.
Have you seen some footage of what the 1DC is being capable of with that horrendous rolling shutter? (While the 4k sensor area is much bigger, it is still only 8-bit 4:2:2 MJPEG, a far cry from ProRes RAW, no AF, no peaking, etc...)

Main line is: it is still better than anything we've had before from Canon at this price range (if it turns out to be true)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm not a video guy but would someone explain why external RAW is a big feature?
You get much wider range of adjustments on the files, much closer to what you can achieve with any photo editing software in stills, so better color and better dynamic range (less compression, although in this case, the internal codec is already pretty strong in that regard)
If you look up 5D Mark III raw video, you can see how much better it can be, although that camera had soft video even after hacking (but you still see the color and the dynamic range being different), while in this case the 4k will be very sharp and free of artifacts. This is generally what you see in recent Netflix or other shows, where they also record in raw with professional video cameras and grade it later on.

Upvote 0