Feedback on these headshots

Jim Saunders said:
I'd dial the highlights back a bit, but that's personal preference. They look pretty solid to me.

Jim

Ditto. Seems like I pull the highlights back on most of my shots with faces to gain back skin tone in shots like those. Some people have more reflection on their skin surface than others. Other than reducing exposure there's not much else to do but reduce highlights. At least not in Lightroom. (But I'm not exactly an expert on post production.)

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
Jim Saunders said:
I'd dial the highlights back a bit, but that's personal preference. They look pretty solid to me.

Jim

Ditto. Seems like I pull the highlights back on most of my shots with faces to gain back skin tone in shots like those. Some people have more reflection on their skin surface than others. Other than reducing exposure there's not much else to do but reduce highlights. At least not in Lightroom. (But I'm not exactly an expert on post production.)

That's true. I need to learn to do this in Photoshop. All I did was just global adjustment in LR 5.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
3413 is your keeper. I'd crop a little tighter--esp the head. Exposure looks very good on face and background. Next two, poses not flattering, background a bit unpleasant as light falls off. Last one ok, but little stray lock of hair is a no-no.

Smiles look slightly tense...Did you have little time with subject?

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
3413 is your keeper. I'd crop a little tighter--esp the head. Exposure looks very good on face and background. Next two, poses not flattering, background a bit unpleasant as light falls off. Last one ok, but little stray lock of hair is a no-no.

Thanks so much for the feedback I really am learning from all of it.

a headshot-3605 by johnnacionphotography, on Flickr

a headshot-3604 by johnnacionphotography, on Flickr

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friend, John.Nacion.
The Headshots: style of Lights/ location of lights are depend on the artistic of the Photographers and the Usage of the Headshots.
Here are the sample of the position of Light that, I have learn from the PRO 10 years ago, in the Studio Class of my Local Technical College.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• Backlighting_1.jpg
    Backlighting_1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 296
  • Backlighting_2edit.jpg
    Backlighting_2edit.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Basic_3_point_Lightingedit.jpg
    Basic_3_point_Lightingedit.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 260
  • B-Paramount_Lightingedit.jpg
    B-Paramount_Lightingedit.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 231
  • Broad_Lighting.jpg
    Broad_Lighting.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 260
  • B-Short_Lighting.jpg
    B-Short_Lighting.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 253
  • O-1.jpg
    O-1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 290
  • P19.jpg
    P19.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
John.Nacion said:
Canon1 said:
Why cut off the top of his head in all of these? Otherwise, looks pretty good to me.

LOL, I know people will definitely take a note of this Peter Hurley style. As a newbie I am still on the process of developing my own headshot style.
I am a newbie too so please take that into consideration.
#3 is my preference. #4 is my least.
- I feel better expression on his face on #3 and the diagonal line of the eyes helps it. #4 is too flat and static.
- when I cut someone head, i make sure my intention is clear. I see no doubt in your intention on #3. It looks like by accident on #4.
Not sure what lens was used, but he seems to be rounded face to me. I would use telephoto. On the other hand, his nose is relatively short and telephoto would make it shorter. Hard to tell!
If not too much to ask, explain your thought process when choosing a specific pose. I could learn from it too.

Upvote 0
Besisika said:
John.Nacion said:
Canon1 said:
Why cut off the top of his head in all of these? Otherwise, looks pretty good to me.

LOL, I know people will definitely take a note of this Peter Hurley style. As a newbie I am still on the process of developing my own headshot style.
- I feel better expression on his face on #3 and the diagonal line of the eyes helps it. #4 is too flat and static.
- when I cut someone head, i make sure my intention is clear. I see no doubt in your intention on #3. It looks like by accident on #4.
Not sure what lens was used, but he seems to be rounded face to me. I would use telephoto. On the other hand, his nose is relatively short and telephoto would make it shorter. Hard to tell!
If not too much to ask, explain your thought process when choosing a specific pose. I could learn from it too.

Thank you for the honest critiques. I did use the 24-70mm 2.8 II on the longest end, which probably is the reason(or my son's face is just really round, he'd prefer to hear the first reason though. LOL) I am still on the process of getting the 70-200 2.8 II. As with the poses, my intention is to compliment his jawline(which is probably wrong considering that my model is an 11 year-old kid). I really am glad that I posted the photos, i am learning a lot.

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
If you can get your second subject again, try this second pose with the smile like the first one. I'd be happy with either of the ones you got, just curious to see how it would look.

Jim

Thanks Jim, It's Labor Day today and the wifey was more than glad to have her photos taken. I'll be be glad to post them when I'm done with the PP.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Hi John, your shots have a lot going for them. The eyes are in focus and the lighting is pleasant. Your choice of aperture also leads to a nice gentle blurring on the subjects shoulders. My only suggestion is in relation to cutting off the tops of the head. If you are going to do, I'd cut off a fraction more to make everyone realise it is intentional. With photos such as 3604, cutting off a small bit makes you wonder if it was framing problem rather than an artistic choice. With most portraits, you can crop the tops quite aggressively without problems and sometimes this adds a little more impact to the photos.

Upvote 0
John.Nacion said:
Besisika said:
John.Nacion said:
Canon1 said:

Thank you for the honest critiques. I did use the 24-70mm 2.8 II on the longest end, which probably is the reason(or my son's face is just really round, he'd prefer to hear the first reason though. LOL) I am still on the process of getting the 70-200 2.8 II. As with the poses, my intention is to compliment his jawline(which is probably wrong considering that my model is an 11 year-old kid). I really am glad that I posted the photos, i am learning a lot.

Why does Peter Hurley advocate cutting the tops off?
Anyway, you've got great models with very nice hair- but the reflection looks distracting. Maybe use a key light instead of the clamshell?
Also, the angles with your son's face could be more dramatic and sharp, and you can shoot from an elevated position, thereby reduce the rounding effect and making the chin (and jawline) more prominent. In that case, use a key placed lower.
Please keep sharing your results. I am also learning a lot from them.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
John.Nacion said:
YuengLinger said:

Thanks so much for the feedback I really am learning from all of it.

a headshot-3605 by johnnacionphotography, on Flickr

a headshot-3604 by johnnacionphotography, on Flickr

Hi Jon,

The first picture here I don't really like for 2 reasons, the expression on the girls face is to created and second your point of view is to high according me, so you are really looking down on the girl.
The second photo (3604) however is very nice. Nice photo, nice expression on the face of the girl, something mystique, love it. Congratulations, keep going on

Upvote 0
surapon said:
Here are the sample of the position of Light that, I have learn from the PRO 10 years ago, in the Studio Class of my Local Technical College.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Thanks, Surapon, for the illustrations in your great answer. This is a perfect example a picture being worth thousands of words...

Upvote 0