FF mirrorless: What will be first lenses out?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Adelino said:
If Canon release FF mirrorless that is not EF compatible (I hope it is compatible), what will be the first lenses out and what will be the time frame for releasing lenses? What are your gueses and hopes?

I've started a poll on this very topic, FYI: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=35292.0

Starting lenses at launch:

24-something f/3.5-6.3 zoom (I know we want a 24-70 f/quick, but a 24-50 f/3.5-6.3 would be tiny)
35 f/2.8 or possibly f/2

Shortly thereafter (within 1 year):

16-35 f/4 or f/variable
Compact macro
Speedy standard prime
Perhaps a pancake

...and then Canon will take its hands off of the governor and see how the platform is accepted, perhaps work on a higher-spec FF mirrorless body, etc. I don't see Canon willingly going the Sony route and committing to a mountain of new glass when (a) they have the EF portfolio + adaptor to call upon and (b) the size savings drop off dramatically once you go faster than f/2, longer than 85mm, etc.

It seems far wiser to launch the system, carefully monitor sales/usage of gear that folks bolt on to this new FF mirrorless setup, collect input and tweak the plan. My guess is that Canon will feel pressure to support this (likely pricey) new platform with more native glass than they ought to, and that they will need discipline as a business to hold off from doing that.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
3kramd5 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The first question is will it be a pro body or a consumer body. Don't expect prime lenses, they don't sell in big numbers, a 24-105mm zoom is typically a standard kit focal length for FF bodies, I don't see that changing.

“Consumer” body, for the same reason as zoom lenses.
Both the 6D and the 5D MK IV come with 24-105mm kit lenses, the 6D MK II has kits with the consumer or the "L" lens, the 5D MK IV offers only the "L" version.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
3kramd5 said:
The first question is will it be a pro body or a consumer body. Don't expect prime lenses, they don't sell in big numbers, a 24-105mm zoom is typically a standard kit focal length for FF bodies, I don't see that changing.

“Consumer” body, for the same reason as zoom lenses.
Both the 6D and the 5D MK IV come with 24-105mm kit lenses, the 6D MK II has kits with the consumer or the "L" lens, the 5D MK IV offers only the "L" version.

But still, for same same reason you cited to expect no primes initially, I expect a “consumer” body: they sell in big numbers.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

That'll be pretty big, right?

https://camerasize.com/compact/#777.681,ha,t
(would share a screencap but I'm not on the primary comp)

Agree 24-105s are great, but the principal selling point of this at a first glance (for their first go at enthusiast business) will probably be small size compared to their own FF SLR + lens combos. I think a shorter zoom range and/or possible variable max aperture would make it attractively smaller:

http://j.mp/2IQbTDc

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
BeenThere said:
If the mirrorless bodies have IBIS then the new mount lenses could eliminate IS, making them even smaller and lighter. However this would require some marketing dance to walk back previous statements that lens stabilization is superior to body stabilization.

Nope. Canon have always stated the superiority of lens IS in telephoto lenses (where Canon made their mark) and have always considered the system as a whole.
Now that Oly and others have introduced hybrid optical/IBIS then making lenses with IS will still have benefits.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
BeenThere said:
If the mirrorless bodies have IBIS then the new mount lenses could eliminate IS, making them even smaller and lighter. However this would require some marketing dance to walk back previous statements that lens stabilization is superior to body stabilization.
The issue is heat dissipation, its a big headache for Sony users who do video. When you must be able to move a sensor, its difficult to get a solid path that dissipates the heat efficiently, so the sensor heats up. Sony barely manages to come up with cameras that don't shutdown in warm weather, when a sensor is hot, even if it has not reached the shutdown point, noise is terrible. No one that I've seen measures the noise under the high temp sensor conditions that Sony users see. (again, this is for video).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Adelino said:
If Canon release FF mirrorless that is not EF compatible (I hope it is compatible), what will be the first lenses out and what will be the time frame for releasing lenses? What are your gueses and hopes?
My hope would be 24-80/4 integrated into the body (no mount for interchangeable lenses needed).

Then I may even buy one or two.

Upvote 0