Finally! Shutter count made easy for almost all EOS cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
dr croubie said:
Anyone (with windows and a good scanner) want to try that out to make sure it's not a virus/spy/malware?

(I'm dubious of anything ActiveX, but then, I don't have a windows pc anyway)

If it's genuine then that's nice though.

It certainly looks suspicious, there is almost no info about it on the web.

I downloaded the eoscount.msi file, and norton Antivirus did not hickup. Then, I just sent it off to Symantec asking them to scan it. If they say its OK, I'll try it.

eosinfo counts my 5D MK II shutter actuations perfectly, so I'll first see if those numbers match before using it on my 7D.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Mt Spokane Photography said:
dr croubie said:
Anyone (with windows and a good scanner) want to try that out to make sure it's not a virus/spy/malware?

It certainly looks suspicious, there is almost no info about it on the web.

I downloaded the eoscount.msi file, and norton Antivirus did not hickup. Then, I just sent it off to Symantec asking them to scan it. If they say its OK, I'll try it.

eosinfo counts my 5D MK II shutter actuations perfectly, so I'll first see if those numbers match before using it on my 7D.

We await Symantec's results...

Although, how did you know it counts your 5d actuations?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
D.Sim said:
[

I have used it for a few years, and used it on my 5D MK II when it was new, and checked occasionally. It works fine. This is well known. however, eosinfo only works on a few bodies, not 1 series, 7D, or the newer rebels, because Canon removed the function from their SDK.

The EOSCOUNT claims to use the Canon SDK that eosinfo cannot use.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Mt Spokane Photography said:
D.Sim said:
[

I have used it for a few years, and used it on my 5D MK II when it was new, and checked occasionally. It works fine. This is well known. however, eosinfo only works on a few bodies, not 1 series, 7D, or the newer rebels, because Canon removed the function from their SDK.

The EOSCOUNT claims to use the Canon SDK that eosinfo cannot use.

Ah, you used EOS Info, not the EOS Count website.

Makes sense now, sorry. got confused between the two...

Although, question... if fewer than 5 people have used it... how did OP come to know about it?

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:

i'll try it tonight on my sacrificial windows netbook. if it gets infected I just blow it away and reformat
I call it my Winipig :D

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
i'll try it tonight on my sacrificial windows netbook. if it gets infected I just blow it away and reformat

I don't need this utility because I've got Magic Lantern and besides that never attach my camera by USB but just put in the flash card into my laptop.

However, to anyone scared of malware: Install a VM like VirtualBox with Windows, then attach the USB port the camera is on to this VM. Now you can use every tethering software you like just as with your primary operating system.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
wickidwombat said:
dr croubie said:

The last 3 computers I've bought (desktop, then laptop, then desktop again), I made sure to get a VT-compatible CPU (desktops were AMD, the laptop I slogged through intel's joke of a naming system and figured out which cpu had what feature), specifically for making sacrificial windows-machines from inside linux.

Except then I realised I don't have a windows install-cd newer than win2000 ('98 for a 'legal' copy i actually bought), and i'd rather be outside taking photos than messing about playing with virtual machines like this guy... :)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dr croubie said:
wickidwombat said:
dr croubie said:

The last 3 computers I've bought (desktop, then laptop, then desktop again), I made sure to get a VT-compatible CPU (desktops were AMD, the laptop I slogged through intel's joke of a naming system and figured out which cpu had what feature), specifically for making sacrificial windows-machines from inside linux.

Except then I realised I don't have a windows install-cd newer than win2000 ('98 for a 'legal' copy i actually bought), and i'd rather be outside taking photos than messing about playing with virtual machines like this guy... :)

A bit like my home network then ..... just ordered a pp specific machine - cant wait :)

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
Except then I realised I don't have a windows install-cd newer than win2000 ('98 for a 'legal' copy i actually bought), and i'd rather be outside taking photos than messing about playing with virtual machines
For me, having a Windows vm around actually saves time for being outside and taking pictures - I try the things I'm not sure I'll keep on it and then reset, and thus always keeping my primary os in a working state and not trashed to death. But ymmv as they say.

wickidwombat said:
has the unified magic lantern come out for the 5d2 yet? i tried the previous versions and they were so bad i just gave up on the whole thing
You didn't say when you last tried it, but the unified version seems to be going forward nicely - although you can only get the beta version if you "sponsor" some money. See the Wiki and dev threads:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

https://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/9e1863e34810c862/768c336aca6d7571?pli=1

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
has the unified magic lantern come out for the 5d2 yet? i tried the previous versions and they were so bad i just gave up on the whole thing, I only wanted the still functions. it was just too much of a hassle and too unstable I found :(

I have a build from Feb 7th and well... absolutely stunning. It's like having a new camera although some fixes yet neccessery. Great support for HDR, timelapse, bulb exposures etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.