Finally! Shutter count made easy for almost all EOS cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D.Sim

People will show gratitude when they get to try it.
They will try it when its checks out.
By a third party too =/

Why are you taking it so personally? Would you seriously just go and click links that promised free stuff from anywhere?

The gratitude will come. But it won't come striaght away. Instant gratification is far less than what you could get if people try it out once verified.

But to be honest, all this whining, and accusing at others for asking legitimate questions about a new, unknown site is just driving me away from even trying it in the first place... but thats just me

p/s no one ever made personal attacks on you or on Sergey. Don't make it personal to the others here.

Upvote 0
Mencho(22) said:
Well, after all I think this is simple... just shown some gratitude!!!

You are suspicious, that's ok... but after all of that there was no gratitude at all.

Sergey did a great job for free !

I'm gratefull!
thanks Sergey!
Sorry I didn't say it before. I was kind of hoping it would work on the 1Dmk3 but not expecting it too as those things have proved impossible to get shutter counts out of except for sending it to canon
It works great for the 5D2s though :D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mencho(22) said:
Well, after all I think this is simple... just shown some gratitude!!!

You are suspicious, that's ok... but after all of that there was no gratitude at all.

Sergey did a great job for free !

It appears that way, but I operate a business and have seen it all as far as methods to gain access to my computer. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and certainly appreciate the link. Scammers always pretend to be hurt and plead innocence. Thats why they are successful, they cause people to lower their natural defences.

When new software appears that has had a limited number of users, it is prudent to be careful, the financial cost to some, like me would be extremely high to just try something new.

I've seen numbers that indicate something like 35% of the websites carry some sort of infection or another.

Upvote 0
A

aldvan

Mommy told me: when somebody offers something to you, accept it with some grain of salt, but FIRST say thanks...
It is only a matter of good manners and does not cost that much...

By the way, I'm never realized why Canon doen't allow to access to 1D series shutter count, may be the cameras that mostly need that, considered the mainly professionaland intensive use . I own a 5D MkII which I bought new and a 1Ds MkIII which I bought seond hand. I know everything about the first one, but I'd like to know something about the second one, although it works perfectly. Stupidly, I forgot to ask Canon service to tell me about shutter count when I sent the camera for a service :-(

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
aldvan said:
I own a 5D MkII which I bought new and a 1Ds MkIII which I bought seond hand. I know everything about the first one, but I'd like to know something about the second one, although it works perfectly. Stupidly, I forgot to ask Canon service to tell me about shutter count when I sent the camera for a service :-(

Wouldn't Canon keep a service record? I would imagine they could tell you over the phone if so.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
slinky said:
Just ran this and it seemed to work. The number of actuations seemed lower than I was expecting though. Thanks for this tip.
same here. I thought my 7D would have a lot more actuations.

btw.: really ridicoulous of Canon to NOT include "current number of actuations" as a menu item on each and every of their cameras.

@Mencho(22): Thanks for posting the link. And thanks to Sergeij too, for coding this clever little piece of software.

Upvote 0
S

SomeGuyInNewJersey

Wanting to use this but not wanting to risk a security issue I created a new virtual, downloaded it and used it from there... then nuked the virtual from orbit... only was to be sure... and all that... :)

The results should be encouragement for Canon to hurry up and send me a 5d3...

My poor little T2i has taken 109,036 shots... in just 15 months... And I have slowed down considerably in the last 6 months too :)

When I finally get my full frame I dont think I will give it that sort of hammering.

Any ideas on how to tell how many shots my lenses have taken? I think a huge amount of these shots were taken in the first few months on the kit lens, 50 f1.8 and the 50-250mm... But I'd like to know how many I have taken with my 10-22mm, 17-40L and 70-300L

Upvote 0
SomeGuyInNewJersey said:
Any ideas on how to tell how many shots my lenses have taken? I think a huge amount of these shots were taken in the first few months on the kit lens, 50 f1.8 and the 50-250mm... But I'd like to know how many I have taken with my 10-22mm, 17-40L and 70-300L

The only way I know would be to have all the shots taken in a pgm like Lightroom and then look at the metadata counts for a given lens.

Upvote 0
Tried this out just now, had to run 32-bit IE9 on my Win 7 64-bit PC, got some spurious results :eek:

Firstly, it could not pick up the Camera S/N but hey the FAQs said that this may happen, so we'll park that for now ::)

Secondly, it quoted my Canon 7D shutter count @ 3011 actuation's, way below what I estimate, which is 3656 :-\

So I double-checked my PC backup of all the RAW + JPeG images that I've taken with my 7D since I got it new last September... and yes I do have almost 3700 images on file!! ??? My 7D is used 50/50 for pics/video which is why the overall number of shutter actuations may seem a bit low to some people.

Now it picked up all of the other miscellaneous info like firmware version, date, time, owner (copyright stuff), but I know for sure that my shutter count is at least 25% above what this Active X Utility app is telling me :-[

Upvote 0
S

SomeGuyInNewJersey

Del said:
So I double-checked my PC backup of all the RAW + JPeG images that I've taken with my 7D since I got it new last September... and yes I do have almost 3700 images on file!! ??? My 7D is used 50/50 for pics/video which is why the overall number of shutter actuations may seem a bit low to some people.

If you have RAW's and JPG's and you have used RAW+JPG mode you will have more files than shutter actuations...

and thats just if you are counting cr2 and jpg files... if you just did a file couint int he folders then all the sidecars for the cr2s and other edit files and thumbnail repositories will have been counted too...

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
slinky said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but it also seemed to reset my camera's clock to 00:00:00 of 2000. Make sure that you double check your time after you use this to make sure that it's set correctly.

intersting. For my 7D the app offered a sync of camera clock and PC/web clock ... which I applied (the camera was 1 hr off ... still on summer time) and it worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.