Finally! Shutter count made easy for almost all EOS cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mencho(22)

Well, yesterday i found this usefull information. I tried it and works so I shared it with you guys...

What I found today? just suspicious about virus?? Nowbody will ever be grateful for this great info?

For those 7D users like me there is no way to know shutter count if you don't install ubuntu and I don't know what other crap in your PC.

I am really sorry about you guys... I thought it was a good place to share information with other Canon users but it seems I was wrong.

Upvote 0
Mencho(22) said:
Well, yesterday i found this usefull information. I tried it and works so I shared it with you guys...

What I found today? just suspicious about virus?? Nowbody will ever be grateful for this great info?

For those 7D users like me there is no way to know shutter count if you don't install ubuntu and I don't know what other crap in your PC.

I am really sorry about you guys... I thought it was a good place to share information with other Canon users but it seems I was wrong.

Mencho, don't be sorry.
+1 for you for information
Anyway you can't blame people for being suspicious and careful.

Upvote 0
Mencho(22) said:
marekjoz said:
Mencho, don't be sorry.
+1 for you for information
Anyway you can't blame people for being suspicious and careful.

I am an Eset user since 2005, all the software I use is previously scanned by ESET... Can anyone think I will post an info without checking it?

I am not a new user here.

How would people know your computer knowledge and awereness? Would you trust here to everybody to expose your computer to potential risk? Sorry, but it's like publishing here your credit card data but only with access to this information for people with 5 applauds or more. Would you?
The community here is great but let's not overreact...

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
KeithR said:
marekjoz said:
How would people know your computer knowledge and awareness?

Irrelevant, really - the only person responsible for keeping his computer "clean" is its user.

Exactly! +1

I really appreciate the tip for the shuttercount on the 7D. really! But I am also very careful with my computer that is why I am critical and it is not personal.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
wickidwombat said:
dr croubie said:
Anyone (with windows and a good scanner) want to try that out to make sure it's not a virus/spy/malware?

(I'm dubious of anything ActiveX, but then, I don't have a windows pc anyway)

If it's genuine then that's nice though.

i'll try it tonight on my sacrificial windows netbook. if it gets infected I just blow it away and reformat
I call it my Winipig :D

Well written trojans are not detectable. they hide themselves when you go looking. some have gon undiscovered for two years. I don't expect a problem, but, that web site seems just to have been putup on short notice and just looks risky to me.

If you are able to log and analyize any changes it makes as you install it, that would tell you if anything strange were going on. Root kits are particularly difficult to locate and remove.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
wickidwombat said:
has the unified magic lantern come out for the 5d2 yet? i tried the previous versions and they were so bad i just gave up on the whole thing, I only wanted the still functions. it was just too much of a hassle and too unstable I found :(

I have a build from Feb 7th and well... absolutely stunning. It's like having a new camera although some fixes yet neccessery. Great support for HDR, timelapse, bulb exposures etc.

good to know! when they release it fully I'll donate but I was so disappointed with the last one I tried I couldn't see myself using it. Having seent he screenshots of the new one though it does look promising and much cleaner.

how is the stability and reliability? any issues?

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Mencho(22) said:

Hmmm, Don't take the virus suspicion personally, no one wants to get their system hosed. I'm grateful and I appreciate you sharing this little tool! I downloaded the file, scanned it then ran it, and it worked great. So I posted my (positive) results and then gave you an applaud. Since then I received a smite, I hope it wasn't for being cautious with a downloaded file from an unknown source.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
marekjoz said:
wickidwombat said:
has the unified magic lantern come out for the 5d2 yet? i tried the previous versions and they were so bad i just gave up on the whole thing, I only wanted the still functions. it was just too much of a hassle and too unstable I found :(

I have a build from Feb 7th and well... absolutely stunning. It's like having a new camera although some fixes yet neccessery. Great support for HDR, timelapse, bulb exposures etc.

good to know! when they release it fully I'll donate but I was so disappointed with the last one I tried I couldn't see myself using it. Having seent he screenshots of the new one though it does look promising and much cleaner.

It's much more stable now and much less crashes occur, though it sometimes happens. Reliability is also on good level - if something is implemented and you successed to configure it properly, then it will work properly.

There are some really funny features working now for photo mode like:
1. Triggering shot with:
a) sound (you can clap for instance) to shoot - configure sound level
b) motion detect - configure contrast change
c) waving with hand behind the camera (they use lcd ambient light sensor which is just below lcd) - configure change of light
2. Intervalometer (shoot every ... from 1 second to 488minutes) with bulb ramping (adjusting levels of exposures to prevent overexposure ie when it becomes to light in the morning after having started shooting in night)
3. Trap focus - shooting when object comes to focus
4. Constantly appearing box with close-up of an area in liveview mode making it easier to focus
5. Ability to focus using joystick instead of ring on a lens (it's not so accurate as focusing manually but there could occur circumstances it would be useful for shooting) This is nice feature for video anyway.
6. Comparing images in ghost mode - useful for landsapes panning
7. Information on screen showing actual focal, zoom range, DOF (ner, far, hyperfocal)
8. Of course HDR and focus bracketing (for macro)

Of course there are also features for video and audio but assume you're more interested in these for stills.

I'm really impressed with these features, although they can't of course fight against sensor and digic limitations. It shows rather what potential is there not fully utilized by Canon's firmware.

BTW: In my opinion battery lasts shorter when using Magic Lantern.

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
wickidwombat said:
marekjoz said:
wickidwombat said:

It's much more stable now and much less crashes occur, though it sometimes happens. Reliability is also on good level - if something is implemented and you successed to configure it properly, then it will work properly.

There are some really funny features working now for photo mode like:
1. Triggering shot with:
a) sound (you can clap for instance) to shoot - configure sound level
b) motion detect - configure contrast change
c) waving with hand behind the camera (they use lcd ambient light sensor which is just below lcd) - configure change of light
2. Intervalometer (shoot every ... from 1 second to 488minutes) with bulb ramping (adjusting levels of exposures to prevent overexposure ie when it becomes to light in the morning after having started shooting in night)
3. Trap focus - shooting when object comes to focus
4. Constantly appearing box with close-up of an area in liveview mode making it easier to focus
5. Ability to focus using joystick instead of ring on a lens (it's not so accurate as focusing manually but there could occur circumstances it would be useful for shooting) This is nice feature for video anyway.
6. Comparing images in ghost mode - useful for landsapes panning
7. Information on screen showing actual focal, zoom range, DOF (ner, far, hyperfocal)
8. Of course HDR and focus bracketing (for macro)

Of course there are also features for video and audio but assume you're more interested in these for stills.

I'm really impressed with these features, although they can't of course fight against sensor and digic limitations. It shows rather what potential is there not fully utilized by Canon's firmware.

BTW: In my opinion battery lasts shorter when using Magic Lantern.

Cool thanks for the info! amazing how much potential there is there that doesnt get used out of the box isn't it

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Mencho(22) said:

Why are you taking it personally? =/

Yes, its good to share information, but by that fact you should also be aware that there are plenty of people who will take advantage of that trust. Its not wrong for us to be careful and get verification first - Wouldn't you?

You might be an ESET user since 2005, and you scan it, but you can't expect us to know that - and if you did post that information, we'd still take it with a massive grain of salt. Hell, I'd take it with a massive grain of salt even it if was Neuro/Wombat/Mt Spokane/briansquibb/bvukich/CR Guy.... (no offense guys - you're just the ones I respect the most and can think of off the top of my head...)

You may not be a "new user", but with only 17 posts you're not really active enough to be seen.... but like I've said, even if it was one of those blokes.

You can never be too careful on the internet.

Upvote 0

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Hey guys, I sent an email to Sergey, the owner of eoscount.com, asking about DIGIC II support for my camera. He replied back explaining why there would be no support (its not up to him), along with this:

"I noticed that an eoscount link appeared on Canon Rumors (I'm a frequent visitor to CR). I'm very disheartened in the level of suspicion and negativity about my site there. I've created EOSCount as my personal project, outside of my *very* busy work, completely on volunteer basis, and don't get any dividends from users. There are no ads, no extensive Google tracking (as is the case for CanonRumors.com!), nothing for me, except a $95 expense for a code-signing certificate and my monthly hosting bill. Many people are confused about ActiveX technology, but it's just a way to run native code in the browser, just like downloading and installing a standalone program. Except IE runs only signed ActiveX controls and runs them in a severely crippled sandbox when the Protected Mode is enabled (which is by default). You can read about the Protected Mode here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bb250462(v=vs.85).aspx. Native code is needed, because communication over a USB port cannot be done in HTML. USB communication is the only system resouce my control is using (technically, it's the Canon SDK that is using it). Low priviledged sandbox in IE is the safest way to run this code. "

I think both his position and the one of some people in this forum are alright. If I put myself in Sergey's shoes, I'd be a bit disappointed in people believing I'm trying to scam them. But if I were a Windows end user, I'd be a bit suspicious about what website I get into. Still, I think he made a great tool for those who can take advantage of it. I hope that copying this letter here will give people some reassurance about eoscount.com

Fortunately, I'm a mac user with Virtualbox, so I don't really care what websites I get into ;D

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

Nick Gombinsky said:
Hey guys, I sent an email to Sergey, the owner of eoscount.com, asking about DIGIC II support for my camera. He replied back explaining why there would be no support (its not up to him), along with this:

"I noticed that an eoscount link appeared on Canon Rumors (I'm a frequent visitor to CR). I'm very disheartened in the level of suspicion and negativity about my site there. I've created EOSCount as my personal project, outside of my *very* busy work, completely on volunteer basis, and don't get any dividends from users. There are no ads, no extensive Google tracking (as is the case for CanonRumors.com!), nothing for me, except a $95 expense for a code-signing certificate and my monthly hosting bill. Many people are confused about ActiveX technology, but it's just a way to run native code in the browser, just like downloading and installing a standalone program. Except IE runs only signed ActiveX controls and runs them in a severely crippled sandbox when the Protected Mode is enabled (which is by default). You can read about the Protected Mode here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bb250462(v=vs.85).aspx. Native code is needed, because communication over a USB port cannot be done in HTML. USB communication is the only system resouce my control is using (technically, it's the Canon SDK that is using it). Low priviledged sandbox in IE is the safest way to run this code. "

I think both his position and the one of some people in this forum are alright. If I put myself in Sergey's shoes, I'd be a bit disappointed in people believing I'm trying to scam them. But if I were a Windows end user, I'd be a bit suspicious about what website I get into. Still, I think he made a great tool for those who can take advantage of it. I hope that copying this letter here will give people some reassurance about eoscount.com

Fortunately, I'm a mac user with Virtualbox, so I don't really care what websites I get into ;D

To be honest even an email like that doesn't mean much. If it was a Trojan would the owner say "YES IT IS!" ??? ::) :p

Sergey, if you're reading this, no offense to you either, but would you (Anyone) just click on a link that claims to do something, with doing some prior checkup?

Its down to each user to run their own machine - and theres nothing wrong (as far as I go) for people to be more careful. Its not a personal attack on the sharer/maker, its just people being very careful. I blame the trojan writers/bots for all this (and so should you)

It takes time for something like this to gain momentum, but IMHO you should be thankful for the comments - They're checking up with Symantec, Norton, etc. Getting you VERIFIED, which will in the long run lead to more people visiting the site. If you are indeed legit, you have nothing to worry about and shouldn't feel bad. It just means it'll take more time, but more people will be visiting. This is far far *FAR* better than people just speculating and saying "don't go there", which will just kill traffic overall.

Again, no offense. It is the internet after all, you never know. Even people with high post counts/high visibility could have just been setting up for a trojan in the future - no one knows. Not saying you are, or anyone here is, but it is a possibility, and the extra care never hurt anyone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.