Firmware: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV v1.0.4

FWIW I believe I also experienced the AF issue. I always set up my bodies for back button focus via AF-ON. In the middle of one shoot (on a mountain top as it turned out!) I pressed AF-ON, and the camera didn't appear to respond. I tried again repeatedly, assuming I just hadn't pressed the button firmly enough, but still nothing. In all other respects the camera was responding normally, but it refused to focus. I switched AF point, changed what I was focusing on, verified AF was not disabled on the lens, still nothing. Finally I turned the camera off and back on, and all was well again. It only happened that one time in the two months I've had the 5DIV.

I normally wait a week or two after an update comes out before applying it, but on this occasion I updated last night. All went smoothly, but of course it's hard to know if what I experienced really was the issue Canon is talking about, and if the update has fixed it! I'll just keep using the camera and see if the issue recurs.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
GammyKnee said:
FWIW I believe I also experienced the AF issue. I always set up my bodies for back button focus via AF-ON. In the middle of one shoot (on a mountain top as it turned out!) I pressed AF-ON, and the camera didn't appear to respond. I tried again repeatedly, assuming I just hadn't pressed the button firmly enough, but still nothing. In all other respects the camera was responding normally, but it refused to focus. I switched AF point, changed what I was focusing on, verified AF was not disabled on the lens, still nothing. Finally I turned the camera off and back on, and all was well again. It only happened that one time in the two months I've had the 5DIV.

Yeah, kinda the same with me too. I think I experienced this issue a few times, but didn't think much of it. It didn't happen all the time, so I thought it was just a fluke. I'm very glad they aren't just phoning it in with this camera and are still working to improve things on it behind the scene. I haven't updated to 1.04 yet, but I imagine I'll get around to it within the next week or so. Still hoping the big update is soon... although, getting such a small one so close to the rumored announcement date is a little... puzzling.

Upvote 0
shunsai said:
..getting such a small one so close to the rumored announcement date is a little... puzzling.

Maybe they're close to announcement, but not close to release. The feature update will need a lot of extra testing, briefing/training of support people, doc revision etc, not to mention a possible associated hardware tweak. Rather than hold up simple bug fixes by trying to do everything in one update, they punt out the fixes first, clearing the decks to deal with the feature update when they're fully prepared.

Upvote 0
shunsai said:
Still hoping the big update is soon... although, getting such a small one so close to the rumored announcement date is a little... puzzling.
First it is not exactly certain that a big update will happen at all. Then (assuming it will happen), the actual release might be a fair bit after announcement ("we are working on xyz, don't buy a competitors camera yet, but wait for us to also have that feature 'soon'"). Then if the update requires work by canon service (as rumored), there will likely even be bugfix updates for the unserviced cameras for some time after the big update (especially if it costs money to have the big update performed). And having bugfixes separated from a feature update is preferable for more conservative users that need the bugfixes but do not want to risk further problems by performing the feature update immediately after release.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
sold5 said:
For those that updated - does it wipe all of your custom settings? Or does it leave these intact? Eg RAW + Jpeg, Auto ISO minimum value, number of focus points selected etc. Thanks!

I was worried about that, too. I updated yesterday and none of my settings changed. It was really easy to update, too via the memory card method.

Upvote 0