CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Canon has released firmware version 1.05 for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II.</p>
<p>The following fixed are in the new firmware.</p>
<ul>
<li>Improves AF accuracy when used in combination with the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens or EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.</li>
<li>Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, the “Peripheral illumination correction” is applied inconsistently.</li>
<li>Fixes a phenomenon in which, while performing an EF lens firmware update, the progress bar displayed on the LCD monitor may freeze at 100% even though the update has been completed.</li>
<li>Fixes a processing error in relation to the leap second for the “Geotag information appended to image” and “Log data” GPS functions.</li>
<li>Fixes a phenomenon, where at the time of shooting in very rare cases “Err 70” occurs, or the shutter does not release.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/dc/eos7d2-v105-win.html" target="_blank">Download firmware v1.05 Win</a> | <a href="http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/dc/eos7d2-v105-mac.html" target="_blank">Download firmware v1.05 Mac</a> (Canon Japan)</strong></p>
<p><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii?WT.mc_id=C126149#DriversAndSoftware" target="_blank">Download firmware v1.05</a> (Canon USA is still showing 1.04)</p>

I'm curious about the AF accuracy with just those two lenses. Were they specifically causing problems for people? I've been considering upgrading one of my 7d bodies to a 7d2 next time I have money, and would certainly hope to use my 17-55 with it. I hadn't heard about AF issues with those two lenses in particular, though. Also interesting to me that they're pretty similar FL ranges and both f/2.8 lenses..

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2013
whothafunk said:
oh man! i've been having focus issues on 7D2 with the 17-55 lens from 17-35mm, it just won't focus past 1-3 meters. but the lens works flawlessly on my previous 70D and my GF's 550D and 650D. Tried to AFMA, but to no result.

updating as we speak. i really hope this fixes the issue.
does not eliminate my problem :( will have to send it to Canon service

Upvote 0
whothafunk said:
whothafunk said:
oh man! i've been having focus issues on 7D2 with the 17-55 lens from 17-35mm, it just won't focus past 1-3 meters. but the lens works flawlessly on my previous 70D and my GF's 550D and 650D. Tried to AFMA, but to no result.

updating as we speak. i really hope this fixes the issue.
does not eliminate my problem :( will have to send it to Canon service

I have the same issue with my 17-55 (I tried 3 different bodies and 2 17-55, same focus trouble).
Have you redone the AFMA after the firmware update ?
Did you tried using a different focus point ?
My 7D Mk II is currently in Canon service for the 4th time to solve this problem. Hope that things are going well with this firmware update... I will tell you when I get it back.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Viggo said:
The "ef lens firmware update"-thing, is that just when being serviced by Canon? You can't update lenses wiithout sending it in, right?

Viggo, its a update for the 7D MK II firmware, you will not need to update your lenses.

The camera firmware contains information about each Canon lens, including some AF settings.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
The "ef lens firmware update"-thing, is that just when being serviced by Canon? You can't update lenses wiithout sending it in, right?

Presumably you can update the lens firmware the same way you do the camera firmware, via the CF or SD card or by using the EOS utility. Sometimes there is a mechanical adjustment that is also needed along with the lens firmware update which is why they require you to send it in.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
danski0224 said:
Even if it was actually lens firmware, aren't the latest Canon bodies capable of updating most lens firmware without having to send the lens to Canon?

Some cameras with certain lenses. Its pretty limited. I don't know if there is a list.

This was one of the things Olympus got right.... 12 years ago, you could connect their camera by USB cable to your computer and upgrade both the camera and the lens mounted on the camera. I wish Canon could do the same....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
danski0224 said:
Even if it was actually lens firmware, aren't the latest Canon bodies capable of updating most lens firmware without having to send the lens to Canon?

Some cameras with certain lenses. Its pretty limited. I don't know if there is a list.

This was one of the things Olympus got right.... 12 years ago, you could connect their camera by USB cable to your computer and upgrade both the camera and the lens mounted on the camera. I wish Canon could do the same....

That would be a great feature, though maybe the card way is safer? simply remove the card and put a new one to reset.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
meywd said:
Don Haines said:
danski0224 said:

That would be a great feature, though maybe the card way is safer? simply remove the card and put a new one to reset.
Yes, but you could update the lenses.... and without buying a special docking station....

Upvote 0