Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.4.0, this is a major firmware update (Update: Firmware removed)

Amateurs... I would think they would want to narrow the gap on their competitors as quickly as possible. However, this should not surprise anyone. They've slow-rolled this entire mirrorless program. To be clear, I'm a Canon shooter that's hoping they pull their heads from their asses quickly. I own too much Canon stuff to even consider switching to Sony, but I watch the Sony auto-focus reviews enviously...

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Canon fanboys have been taking a page out of the Fuji fanboys' playbook claiming that a firmware update will dramatically improve their lackluster camera.

1.4.0 obviously had some bugs if they pulled it along with the firmware notes. Better luck with 1.4.1 !!
now this is trolling. he starts by making fun of peopel then doesnt have all the facts but proclaims them as facts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Amateurs... I would think they would want to narrow the gap on their competitors as quickly as possible. However, this should not surprise anyone. They've slow-rolled this entire mirrorless program. To be clear, I'm a Canon shooter that's hoping they pull their heads from their asses quickly. I own too much Canon stuff to even consider switching to Sony, but I watch the Sony auto-focus reviews enviously...
I look at problems this way; am I going to fix them? Yes? Okay, done deal. Am I NOT going to fix them for whatever reason, then stop giving it attention and spend not another calorie on the issue. Why spend your energy on something you know you’re not going to do anything to fix? Incredible waste of energy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
what are you talking about? they have released 3 major firmware updates to the EOS R in less than 1 year that it's available.

By all accounts, it's nearly caught up to Sony's AF performance.

how is that slow rolled? did you expect 5 camera bodies and 40 lenses in 10 months as well?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
what are you talking about? they have released 3 major firmware updates to the EOS R in less than 1 year that it's available.

how is that slow rolled? did you expect 5 camera bodies and 40 lenses in 10 months as well?

If they haven't duplicated the whole EF catalog one hour after launch, it's slow walking!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

I'm interested in your definition of "major." 1.1 provided a few bug fixes, but didn't really enhance the AF performance; I'd agree that 1.2 was a major improvement, and 1.3 does nothing but provide lens support. EOS R AF may be nearly caught up to Sony, once 1.4 is actually out. While Canon does many things will, they are still slowly playing catch-up when it comes to auto focus. Your snarky response doesn't change fact.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in your definition of "major." 1.1 provided a few bug fixes, but didn't really enhance the AF performance; I'd agree that 1.2 was a major improvement, and 1.3 does nothing but provide lens support. EOS R AF may be nearly caught up to Sony, once 1.4 is actually out. While Canon does many things will, they are still slowly playing catch-up when it comes to auto focus. Your snarky response doesn't change fact.
they rolled out one release for silient shutter in continuous.
another release for eyeAF in servo mode
and this one coming in less than 2 weeks.
and again, in less than a year after the thing started shipping.
good grief.
They have "nearly" according to reports caught up to 4 major versions of Sony Alphas and 6 years worth of Sony development in less than a year from the initial release and still people aren't happy.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

mmeerdam

5D4+5d3=10D7
Feb 14, 2016
good grief.
They have "nearly" according to reports caught up to 4 major versions of Sony Alphas and 6 years worth of Sony development in less than a year from the initial release and still people aren't happy.

You're actually right on the money here! Never looked at it that way.
But when I look back:
The Eos r is actually the best Canon EOS I bought, next to the 5DII.
And I have / have had: Eos 3, 300d,20d,5d2,5d3,5d4, Sony a7rii, Nikon Z7

The EosR, is by far my favourite next to the 5d2.
And although I would love more megapixels, a joystick and a little more responsiveness, maybe a little more DR,
it is still great in use, I love making photos with it professionally and for fun, and it just gets better with these updates and th rf glass is something else.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

good grief.
Well ... "Nearly" apart from IBIS, high res lo latency viewfinder and a full range of lenses ... But I agree progress has been good and by the end of next year I think we will all feel a lot happier with the options available to us

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well ... "Nearly" apart from IBIS, high res lo latency viewfinder and a full range of lenses ... But I agree progress has been good and by the end of next year I think we will all feel a lot happier with the options available to us
Maybe some of us, but I don't now about all of us. Then again, some of us seem to be more upset about the way things are now than others.

Upvote 0