Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I have a question. I have rf 24-105, canon 85mm 1.4 usm L , 100mm macro 2.8 usm l tamron 45mm sp 1.8 , looking to sell everything and buy rf 85mm n keep rf 24-105. I shoot potraits and people say rf lenses are sharper than ef lenses. Kindly help. Thanks
What’s the question?

My advice is to buy first and if after some time you don’t find yourself wishing for the old ones, sell them.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Hmmmmm, what electronic communications are required between the lens mount and sensor in order to read sensor at a higher refresh rate?
A Genuine question though.

Unless it is a requirement for the lens to refocus for every sensor readout operation. This is An insane requirement if true.
The problem is more a latency problem than anything else. Higher com speeds reduce that latency.

AF is a stream of interactions between the camera and the lens. If the commands can be passed faster, then the lens can AF faster. I am just guessing as to how the actual protocol works, but it could be like this:
Camera: adjust focus +154 units
lens: done
Camera: adjust focus +17 units
Camera: adjust focus -2 units
(picture taken, now we start tracking)
Camera: adjust focus -1 units
camera: adjust focus +2 units

and this is just AF....

something similar will be happening for IS at the same time.

the faster you can communicate, the faster the response and the smoother the tracking for AF and IS.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The problem is more a latency problem than anything else. Higher com speeds reduce that latency.

AF is a stream of interactions between the camera and the lens. If the commands can be passed faster, then the lens can AF faster. I am just guessing as to how the actual protocol works, but it could be like this:

and this is just AF....

the faster you can communicate, the faster the response and the smoother the tracking for AF and IS.
Yeaaaahhh.... But the sensor readout speed is not affected by mount electronics.
Come think of it, it is all about eVF refresh rate. Still not convinced. Sorry ... :(((

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Yeaaaahhh.... But the sensor readout speed is not affected by mount electronics.
Come think of it, it is all about eVF refresh rate. Still not convinced. Sorry ... :(((
I guess I really didn’t answer the question.... let me try again....

No. sensor readout speed is not affected by mount electronics, but the latency of commands to the lens should be affected by sensor readout speed. That said, whatever the fastest video mode is, is PROBABLY the speed that the sensor is being read for data for the EVF or AF functions.

Keep in mind, this is a guess and I have no inside information

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
I wonder why this restriction exists. I can't see how having an RF lens should improve viewfinder refresh rates. I have a bunch of otherwise fully functional EF lenses.
EF: 8 pins to transfer data from the lens to the camera
RF: 12 pins.
Ergo, the VF 'waits' less time to respond.
This is how I understand it.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Its not clear to me why the VF has to wait for the AF. Surely its just displaying readout from the sensor?
The only explanation apart from Canon being Canon and crippling some things is that the EF protocol has more overhead than the new RF protocols and the old hardware in the R can not deal with the protocol actions and serving all the frames at the same time. That, of course, does not explain why manual focus is not enough to go to the smooth setting, so it appears that there is some of the usual Canon BS at play.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

and this is just AF....

The RF70-200 front focus issue makes me think that AF with EF lenses works as you describe, but that AF with RF lenses is open-loop, the camera just says "Focus to 5.71 meters", since DPAF will give you very accurate distance info.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.