Firmware update coming to address Canon RF 70-200 focus issues at MFD

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
But of what? Could you post one? I'm always interested to see other people's approaches.

Granted there is a Nikon microscopic objective attached to this Canon 70-200mm, but, clearly, when modified accordingly, it is suitable for ULTRA macro!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Given the fact he said he will be using for wedding rings and other such shots, I think its possible to get away with .23x mag ratio. I have been using 100-400mm to photograph lizards(skinks and agamas) as they are too skittish even for 180mm macro.

For comparison purposes, the EF 70-200 L III has a 0,21 mag ratio. The RF lens will therefore just be marginally better the the EF lens for “macro” work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Anyone have any good samples of shots at 200mm at MFD? We’re buying this lens sooner or later and wondering if it can replace our Sigma 105mm Macro for basic macro shots. Mostly creative wedding and engagement ring shots.

Just one less lens to own and bring to shoots and weddings. Currently have the RF 35 1.8 IS Macro but would like the compression of a long lens. I should really do some test shots with the 35 as well.

The 70-200 minimum focus distance is around 2.3 feet for a maximum magnification of 0.21X (typically, Macro is defined as 1.00X).

A better choice for "almost-Macro" might be the 100-400 f/4-5.5 II lens, with an MFD of 3.2 feet, but a maximum magnification of 0.31X. Essentially, you can be a little farther from your subject and still have a little bit greater magnification.

Neither is a true Macro, but they can cover a pretty significant part of the Macro range, giving great results on objects 1-2 inches in width/height.

Something else that might prove helpful, if you have the RP, the focus stacking (Canon calls it focus bracketing) feature can give you a huge depth-of-field by combining several images in DPP with slightly varying focus distance to give the impression that the entire object is in focus. It's not perfect, but works well.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Anyone have any good samples of shots at 200mm at MFD? We’re buying this lens sooner or later and wondering if it can replace our Sigma 105mm Macro for basic macro shots. Mostly creative wedding and engagement ring shots.

Just one less lens to own and bring to shoots and weddings. Currently have the RF 35 1.8 IS Macro but would like the compression of a long lens. I should really do some test shots with the 35 as well.

The ef 100mm f/2.8L IS is light, affordable, and perfect for these kinds of shots. And it works so well on the EOS R. But, I get it, changing lenses on the run slows things down. The ongoing dilemma of interchangeable lens cameras. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The ef 100mm f/2.8L IS is light, affordable, and perfect for these kinds of shots. And it works so well on the EOS R. But, I get it, changing lenses on the run slows things down. The ongoing dilemma of interchangeable lens cameras. :unsure:
The solution is one of those 100X superzooms p/s cameras :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Camera settings, please?

Those are crops from images taken with the RF 85 f/1.2L wide open at 1/8000s at iso 100. The settings don’t particularly matter, as long as there is a strong light source and the lens is at f/1.2. Additionally, the electronic shutter was fully turned off.

This happens with the RF 50 f/1.2 and EF variants of the same lenses as well.

I started a thread about it over at DPReview:https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4445504

The lines don’t appear using Capture One Pro or Skylum’s Luminar 4. They show in Lightroom, Photoshop, and Canon’s own DPP software.

Upvote 0
I'd like to achieve a high-magnification image that's sharp and with the deepest possible depth-of-field (diffraction-limited).

Sounds like a business case for the focus bracketing, stacking, and composing feature from the EOS RP. Just wish that Canon would make it available via firmware on the EOS R as well.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
it was the customers that figured out the problem. It was a news forum that highlighted it.

there’s an important role for customer feedback. It will force a company to respond if we aren’t all corporate zombies

Yes, consumers bring the problem to attention of Canon. But if there is no instant response they get in a huff that canon is covering it up while they really are confirming the issue and then working on a fix before they do a knee jerk reaction. Too many scream if there is no resolution the instant that they think there is something wrong, Canon has to ensure it is not just an idiot not doing things right and there is a real, not imagined problem, then they need to engineer a solution and get it out.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, consumers bring the problem to attention of Canon. But if there is no instant response they get in a huff that canon is covering it up while they really are confirming the issue and then working on a fix before they do a knee jerk reaction. Too many scream if there is no resolution the instant that they think there is something wrong, Canon has to ensure it is not just an idiot not doing things right and there is a real, not imagined problem, then they need to engineer a solution and get it out.
What is the proper amount of time before we may start huffing?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Now that Canon has admitted the problem is real and exists, why did earlier on affected lenses that people sent into service get sent back with notes like "Works perfectly" attached?

There's "confirming the issue and then working on a fix" and then there's straight out lying.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sounds like a business case for the focus bracketing, stacking, and composing feature from the EOS RP. Just wish that Canon would make it available via firmware on the EOS R as well.
If they have it working on the RP, then hopefully they are getting it ready for an update for theR as well. That said, I thought that the RP had focus peaking, but not focus stacking?

I do not have this feature on any of my Canon cameras, it seems strange to me to put down a multi thousand $ DSLR and pick up a cheap P/S camera to do such a shot.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If they have it working on the RP, then hopefully they are getting it ready for an update for theR as well. That said, I thought that the RP had focus peaking, but not focus stacking?

The RP has focus stacking, you can configure it to take N pictures in a certain focus range and the camera will move the focus for you and take all the pictures. The downside is that it won't use the mechanical shutter, only the electronic one. So no flash.
And you'll have to do the actual stacking yourself on a computer, be it via DPP or something like Zerene.

I do not have this feature on any of my Canon cameras, it seems strange to me to put down a multi thousand $ DSLR and pick up a cheap P/S camera to do such a shot.....

Canon is really weird with features, things like intervalometer, focus stacking, live streaming to youtube all showed up in "low end" models first. And sometimes the features arrives in higher end models, but not always.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Now that Canon has admitted the problem is real and exists, why did earlier on affected lenses that people sent into service get sent back with notes like "Works perfectly" attached?

There's "confirming the issue and then working on a fix" and then there's straight out lying.

I do not answer "Why" for Canon.
Perhaps you can ask them this question.
I know I am great and nearly all knowing to you but this is one thing I cannot answer but canon can.
:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I'm bothered. It's a compromise. Deep breath...Sigh...

OpticalLimits have test results showing 2.6 stops of vignette.

With and without Peripheral Lens Correction:

View attachment 188293View attachment 188294
TDP reports 3 stops, but they have a method of really bringing out the worst case scenario, they also reported a horrible vignetting with the RF50 where I didn’t see anything that bad, but I’m kind of concerned... didn’t look horrible in your example though, thanks for sharing (y)

Upvote 0