First 1D X III RAW files?

Apr 25, 2011
Now more than ever before, the restricted AF area of the DSLR is going to irk the shooter. You have this full screen AF capability that's awesome and then you turn around and use similar except it's optical and restricted to the centre, and .... you say to yourself, isn't this wonderful (I think not). Jared demonstrated this quite well.
I'm not convinced by Jared's examples. I think one there could as well just focus on the center of the body with the same results.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not convinced by Jared's examples. I think one there could as well just focus on the center of the body with the same results.
The new AF appears faster more responsive and intelligent with more AF points, that means however you use or are used to using it it will do a better job even without the zone coverage Ai, which I am sure will be a big benefit for many users in many situations. People that are used to shooting the 1 series often have poor adoption attitudes to new tech, even in the videos above there are pros who didn't use the new AF drag button because it wasn't what they are used to!

Many pros are notoriously bad at playing with settings they don't understand even Auto ISO and zone AF is considered relinquishing too much control to the camera, meanwhile you have people like Brett, video above, who is intimately familiar with every option and how he can leverage it best to work for him in any given situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Of course various situations present different challenges. I'm thinking of the times I had a Pileated woodpecker up close and in a hurry couldn't recompose and his head was out of the focusing region. Result, part of his lower body cut off. I could be better though in operating the camera no doubt, that's a given.:(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The new AF appears faster more responsive and intelligent with more AF points, that means however you use or are used to using it it will do a better job even without the zone coverage Ai, which I am sure will be a big benefit for many users in many situations. People that are used to shooting the 1 series often have poor adoption attitudes to new tech, even in the videos above there are pros who didn't use the new AF drag button because it wasn't what they are used to!

Many pros are notoriously bad at playing with settings they don't understand even Auto ISO and zone AF is considered relinquishing too much control to the camera, meanwhile you have people like Brett, video above, who is intimately familiar with every option and how he can leverage it best to work for him in any given situation.
That's a very good point. And the older you get the worse the problem. Surgery and rehab and not much hands on and wow, I'm forgetting way too much. What I've typically done when I get a new camera, is to go through every last setting investigating what each accomplishes and it is very tedious and time consuming. As an example by doing that I mastered the different choices for AF using all three buttons and it has paid dividends. I remember pointing these advantages out to Artie and he dismissed it in a blink; couldn't even be bothered with just simple back button focus.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So a little better at 100 ISO but after that it is the same as 1dx2. Testing the sharpness might be another story though. We have to wait for Bryan now.
I'm surprised how much the DR takes a hit with the electronic shutter.

The other interesting thing is with the MkII at 102,000 iso there is NR applied automatically, with the MkIII there isn't.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 15.55.43.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 15.55.43.png
    547.4 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Up to 2 stops, which is expected.

Still, it's almost as good at ISO 800 as 1DX I is at ISO 100. And once you are past ISO 800, there is no meaningful loss of DR due to electronic shutter.
Thats hilarious, for years people have been banging on about fractions of a stop of DR, now it is "expected" to lose two stops for electronic shutter use, comical...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'm surprised how much the DR takes a hit with the electronic shutter.

I believe it's continuous shooting with the e-shutter that drops ADC to 12-bit which is precisely what we're seeing here. Single shooting (and low-speed continuous?) shouldn't cause a DR hit if I understand correctly.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I believe it's continuous shooting with the e-shutter that drops ADC to 12-bit which is precisely what we're seeing here. Single shooting (and low-speed continuous?) shouldn't cause a DR hit if I understand correctly.
Interesting point that could use clarification. I downloaded the manual the other day but haven't had time to explore it and the all important foot notes!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Page 945 of the manual seems to imply any RAW image shot with the electronic shutter is 12 bit.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 16.30.27.png

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The manual has no qualifiers, just ‘e-shutter is 12-bits’, so it seems all drive speeds are 12-bit.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Thats hilarious, for years people have been banging on about fractions of a stop of DR, now it is "expected" to lose two stops for electronic shutter use, comical...
Those are generally different people.

Although some people could still be afraid that a HDR landscape would run away from them if their shutter were too loud.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Of course various situations present different challenges. I'm thinking of the times I had a Pileated woodpecker up close and in a hurry couldn't recompose and his head was out of the focusing region. Result, part of his lower body cut off. I could be better though in operating the camera no doubt, that's a given.:(

Jack
I’m trying to imagine that scenario, and can’t get the picture, so to speak. You wanted the head in focus and the body out of focus? So it was a huge bird close by and a very long lens? So you moved the focus point over the head, and didn’t have time to recompose, so the body was out of the frame? Or the body was in focus, but the head was blurred, rather than vice versa?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I almost thought you read all 945 pages lol.

Why would the ES need to be in 12 bit?
I wondered that, maybe it's like Kit says a speed thing. I also thought about the occasions when I would use silent shutter most and I have to admit it is predominantly in higher iso's where DR is more limited anyway. Interesting limitation on a new, for a Canon DSLR, feature.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’m trying to imagine that scenario, and can’t get the picture, so to speak. You wanted the head in focus and the body out of focus? So it was a huge bird close by and a very long lens? So you moved the focus point over the head, and didn’t have time to recompose, so the body was out of the frame? Or the body was in focus, but the head was blurred, rather than vice versa?
Probably I didn't express it very well. Not having a zoom, it often happens that the eye can't be focused upon without cutting some of the bird out of the frame. Of course focus and recompose is the solution, which is difficult when there is movement. So, having the full frame to focus with, can be ever so helpful.

Jack

Upvote 0