First 6DMKII photoshoot (WEDDING P3, DEER P6)

Re: First 6DMKII photoshoot

Talys said:
Graphic.Artifacts said:
That rocker looks a bit sketchy relative to a joystick.

I'm not a fan of the joystick, but at the end of the day, I don't use the rocker anymore, either. Can't speak for others, but the touchscreen controls are so intuitive and well organized that I use it for all the Q menus and to pinch/zoom magnify.

The back dial is solid, like every Canon with one, and is a staple for exposure control.

Thanks for the feedback. My favorite thing about Canons is how well built and intuitive that are to use. Don't mind learning to do things a new way as long as the results are there. Like the idea of the touch screen. Mostly just worried about controlling the AF at this point.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

SecureGSM said:
great post, Tom. Thank you.

It looks like the street price of 6D II will be at $/£ 1,500.00 level sooner than I expected. It is a great camera for the price though. That said, I expect to see you stepping up to 5D IV body sooner rather than later :D

on unrelated note: do you own the ColorChecker Card? If so, could you please do me a favour and take 3 shots of the card in AV mode on tripod for stability, at 90 degree angle to the card and identical framing, at ISO 100, constant aperture around F8 to minimise vignetting and resulting images exposed to: -3 stops, 0 stop, +3 stops. I would need RAW files, please.
I would like to run an analysis of the DR rage of 6D II at ISO 100.

Like everyone here, I live in the real world and I need a tool that will get the job done. The decision lies there.

I wont spend hours worrying over my decision and if I feel its not doing what I need I will sell it and buy something that does. That isnt the case, I shoot a lot of things that one camera cant do so tend to have 2-3 bodies at one time.

I also have other things I like to spend my money on, ive just bought my first house so if I can save money and get similar result it leaves more money to put towards house improvements. I also have a love for cars and would like to buy a toy for the weekend.

I think a lot of people let specs take over their process, that one stop or DR is not going to stop me making great images, it would be nice but back in the day I used to use 20/30/40Ds until the 5D came along. Some of my favorite images came from the 40D. If i take it out now im still impressed with the images I get with it and it is literally a POS compared to the 6DMKII!

In fact after 6 hours of torrential rain at Silverstone Classics a few years ago my 5DMKIII gave up the ghost and I made these images with the 40D...

Williams FW07C, Leyland #37, 1981, driven by C. D'Ansembourg, Legends of Modern F1, Silverstone Classic 2015 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BMW E30 M3, No.83, Tim Harvey, Silverstone Classics 2015 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Sideways Action, Historic Formula 1, Silverstone Classics 25th Anniversary by Tom Scott, on Flickr

If you know what you are doing you can make images with any tool IMO. (btw put the 5DMKIII in a towel over night and booted right back up the next morning)

I would love to help you out but unfortunately my colour checker was also stolen :(.

jeffa4444 said:
I'm jealous that you only paid £ 1,489 as I paid £ 1,999.00! (are you excluding VAT as your a business?)

Like you and Ive posted elsewhere I find the camera to be no where near as bad as "professional reviewers" are saying and I make my living from renting equipment all the way up to very serious motion picture tools. I found in the limited shots Ive taken so far that pulled shadows appeared cleaner from noise at 400iso than 100iso and that surprised me. My old presets in LR for the 6D no longer work which is understandable and applying sharpening to raw images is much less with better results. My bug bear with the 6D was low level banding in large grey sky or blue sky areas or in lifting shadows in say beige walls of a room so far against pretty grey skies on Dartmoor this past weekend Ive not seen any or in lifting deep shadows in undergrowth on the Dart river.

Its early days but the flippy touch screen was great on low level tripod shots on long exposures on the river so much easier to adjust framing. I am going to try it for a model shoot I have this coming weekend although primarily I will be using the 5DS however I have used the 6D and recomposed with a fairly high success rate so I don't expect the 6D MKII to be too different.

Reading your initial impressions pushed me to the impulse purchase. So thanks for that ;D

I hate to say it but im an avid Grey market fan, never had an issue and its cheaper then buying uk then claiming VAT back. In the 15 years ive shot canon ive only had 2 problems. First was a 70-200mm MKII had some debris in the barrel on arrival and my 7DMKII dioptre seized. Both covered under warranty, were sent off to be serviced at CPS arrived back perfect and postage paid.

Im a CPS gold member too but only have gear serviced ive never had a piece of gear completely fail or break. Which is a testament to how well built these cameras are! My 5DMKIII was a mess I accidentally slipped on a river back and kicked a tripod into a river and completely submerged it, grabbed it and towweled it off, absolutely fine very lucky there. As above at silverstone it gave up after 6 hours in the rain, had it through the amazon, atacama desert, sahara, most of the southern African national parks, biwindi Ugandan rain forrest, northern Sumatran rain forrests. It really took a beating. Granted I had it serviced and it had 2 new shutters with about 300k on it but never skipped a beat really. It probably wasnt far off failing before it got stolen but I dont baby my gear what so ever.

The 6DMKII certainly has its quirks I dont think ive shot anything at low ISO yet, I dont feel restricted like we used to be with the older sensors I find im happy with 90% of the images all the way up tot 6400 ISO. I dont print huge, A2 is probably the biggest and that not often. Most of my images go in newspapers (which is pretty much like printing on glorified toilet paper), catalogs or marketing material, wedding books etc and at these sizes with the resolution of the sensors noise isnt visible unless you get the magnifying glass out.

Although I did sell a few images to united utilities and they had them printed as wallpaper for their head office in Warrington, Ullswater/Haweswater/Thirlmere buildings which was cool. As far as I know they had no issue with my 5DMKIII files.

I used the flippy screen shooting some products in the studio and just makes life so easy. Looking forward to getting it out to shoot some landscape. I also have a wedding tomorrow so will see how it gets on!

Don Haines said:
I have been playing around with high ISO on the 6D2...... it is freakin amazing! Low ISO, works great too!

Couldnt agree more! Its really impressive.

Graphic.Artifacts said:
Thank you for putting all of this together. Nice images. Looks like a solid paying gig.

I'm is a similar position regarding my old 5D3. Smash and grab out of my car along with a bag of EF primes. Not fun. I feel for you. My insurance company was a good sport about it though and paid up pretty quick. I had a rider for all of my gear though so they really had to. I spent the settlement on a 1DX2 as I didn't see any point in getting another 5D3 and the 5D4 wasn't out yet. A conspicuous brick of a camera but really outstanding in every other regard.

Starting to feel like I have a pretty good sense of the IQ on the 6D2. At least for a camera I've never even held in my hands. AF is still a bit of a wildcard for me though. That rocker looks a bit sketchy relative to a joystick. It does support BBF though as far as I can tell which helps a lot if you have to recompose. Sounds a lot like my 5D2 now that I think about it. Have read a few folks saying it's better to use the dials so that's good to know.

I do a lot of hand held low light street and venue work and I have an extended international trip coming up and need a lightweight body. The 5D3 was OK in low light in that it was accurate but slow. Hate to ask, but if you get the chance could you give us some feed back on focusing and shooting in low available light. No hurry, I'm not doing anything right away. Seems like the high ISO image quality is going to be pretty good but if I can't get accurate focus wide open that doesn't do me much good.

If the AF is workable I'll probably let the dust settle and then pick one up to use as a light weight inconspicuous body for street, travel and events. It seems like it has just the right feature set for those. Wildlife maybe not so much. Thanks again.

Maybe Canon will come out with a 5.5D for those of use that can live without the fancy features but want top notch IQ and AF.

No problem glad I can be some help. Its amazing how much you use things and how much more it costs to replace than you think. Sorry to hear about your gear too. Live and learn!

I have a wedding in a country house tomorrow so it will be dark and I will certainly give it a good run out. I have shot a few images and TBH all the way up to 40000 is pretty good, I think I will limit the camera to 12,800 but I didnt really like my 5DMKIII past 6400. I think I prefer the 6 because the noise has a much nicer pattern.

Its not the perfect wildlife camera but its has more than 1 F8 point which gives it a much better advantage over the 5DMKIII although it doesnt have the same focus modes you can make a profile which would simulate the focus modes of the 5 but you would have to reset it back to normal afterwards. You cant just change the case which is annoying.

Gnocchi said:
Thanks for your Honest Review, nice job.

dak723 said:
Thanks Tom (and others, too) for your actual use reviews of the 6D II. As seems to be the case with every Canon release, the early pre-release reviews are negative and the nay-sayers, whiners, and DRones come out full force with all their ammunition to bad mouth Canon and ridicule those that like and enjoy shooting Canon. Then real photographers actually use the camera and find it is better in practically every way than the early reviewers thought.

Although I am going to be passing on this release, it is good to hear that the camera - in real world usage - is giving you really good results.

Completely agree although if people dont complain then canon will slow things down.

If I am completely honest it is disappointing that there isnt much of a sensor improvement as im sure the development and tooling to produce this wasnt cheap it doesnt seem to make much sence to go to all that extra work and make it similar. That said its not the end of the world like I said earlier (stupid to say) if you could make great images with the 5DMKIII you will get better from this and more useable. Its just not had the advancement of the 5DMKIV. There is just enough here to buy one I think, or if your in my situation without a FF camera it makes more sense to buy this than spend more on a 5 year old camera.

As you say the main thing is the camera is familiar performs how I expect and the colour and IQ is perfect for my needs.

Jack Douglas said:
I love the technology but clearly a fancy camera doesn't make me a good photographer. There is so much more to it. That's why it's not unsettling for me to have some element of my gear that isn't the best and that's why I always had praise for my 6D in spite of it's minimal specs. Four years of great fun.

Once again I have to wonder if all the photos taken a few years back are trash and by what standard we would judge them to be trash. There is so much more than just the technical IQ that makes a great photo.

When I shoot a bird in its beauty doing nothing much then of course what is there that is great; really only the IQ which is very much camera dependent. People view it and say, oh that's so sharp, and then it's ho hum because there are now millions of technically excellent photos of everything.

Shoot a hummingbird and then Google it and you'll see it's nothing outstanding compared to all that have been posted, or is it? To be outstanding there will have to be something very unique about it and that won't be dependent on which excellent camera you used. It'll be dependent on who's behind the camera and what they've been able to create using what's between their ears, not more DR.

That's how I see it. I need to improve far more than the camera needs to improve. Yet even that is secondary because for me number one is just simply having fun.

Jack

TBH its not all about what others think and many think you have to buy the best to be the best (all the gear no idea). The best thing is you are out and doing what you enjoy. There are so many great photographers out there that you cant hold yourself to everyone!

It is very easy to get carried away on these forums. Glad there are people like you who make sound judgements and I enjoy reading your thoughts because you clearly have a lot of experience.

The pictures I posted are so boring! Unfortunately most of my paid work is boring, every once and a while I do get to shoot something I enjoy. If it was easy to make money from being a birder then everyone would be doing it! There are skills more than in camera like finding the subject and getting close without spooking.

Completely agree people are too obsessed with the camera and not the image its very very rare you would figure out what camera was used. On the other hand this is a gear forum, it annoys me how little people contribute in images but have strong opinions of what can and cant be shot on XYZ. I contribute images im allowed to share and appreciate the time people spend posting images and explaining where and what they were doing. I like the story as much as the image, unfortunately those kind of threads arent always popular because they talk about photography not DR.

Even if you have been shooting for a long time there is always things to learn its when you think you know everything that creativity suffers. Ive been shooting a long time like many and there are many occasions I look at the image and think FOR GODS SAKE! lol concentrating so hard one one thing that I miss another. My biggest annoyance is vertical and horizontal lines that intersect through people and there are a few I posted that do just that but sometimes you cant help it. Im quite happy to keep shooting and the more you learn the less you make mistakes.

Nothing is perfect, usually I am the imperfect one.

Cheers

Tom

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com

tomscott said:
<snip>

<snip>

TBH its not all about what others think and many think you have to buy the best to be the best (all the gear no idea). The best thing is you are out and doing what you enjoy. There are so many great photographers out there that you cant hold yourself to everyone!

It is very easy to get carried away on these forums. Glad there are people like you who make sound judgements and I enjoy reading your thoughts because you clearly have a lot of experience.

The pictures I posted are so boring! Unfortunately most of my paid work is boring, every once and a while I do get to shoot something I enjoy. If it was easy to make money from being a birder then everyone would be doing it! There are skills more than in camera like finding the subject and getting close without spooking.

Completely agree people are too obsessed with the camera and not the image its very very rare you would figure out what camera was used. On the other hand this is a gear forum, it annoys me how little people contribute in images but have strong opinions of what can and cant be shot on XYZ. I contribute images im allowed to share and appreciate the time people spend posting images and explaining where and what they were doing. I like the story as much as the image, unfortunately those kind of threads arent always popular because they talk about photography not DR.

Even if you have been shooting for a long time there is always things to learn its when you think you know everything that creativity suffers. Ive been shooting a long time like many and there are many occasions I look at the image and think FOR GODS SAKE! lol concentrating so hard one one thing that I miss another. My biggest annoyance is vertical and horizontal lines that intersect through people and there are a few I posted that do just that but sometimes you cant help it. Im quite happy to keep shooting and the more you learn the less you make mistakes.

Nothing is perfect, usually I am the imperfect one.

Cheers

Tom
I have to say this Tom, but those pictures of those construction workers are not at all boring. You take photos of life as it presents to you. It is a reflection of the human life today. It will be even more interesting in the future while looking back on those pictures and see those fancy sunglasses some of those workers were wearing or the fact that they were wearing a hearing protector. Look at images of people from the past. I find them always interesting representing life of the past. It is were we come from. Well done for those so called 'boring' pictures. Keep up the good work Tom!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Occasionally it hits me that some of what I say and think relates to my age. I didn't buy a house, I built one and it's still not finished and I'm retired, ugh, but I'm now poking away at completing the finishing touches. That's the point in time I essentially abandoned the camera I obsessed about getting, my wonderful Canon F1. I had one year away from my home town where I rented and I had no workshop or toys and bought an Ftb. There was definitely a budding love of photography but after a few years the duties of life grew with kids, coming along, asthma becoming critically bad, a wife dying of cancer, a diversion into acquiring too many collector cars that were gems in the rough (really rough) and restoring a couple meticulously, remarriage, more kids and ...

Phew, it makes my head spin but now it's just whatever motivates me, with no pressure and obviously photography is back into the picture. After years of birthdays and holidays representing my interest in cameras it's now all out fun and true passion - in nature.

What becomes clear in reflecting on all this is that it is foolish to get unreasonably caught up in anything such that it sweeps you away from the things you genuinely love and cherish, like family. I had to have a 63/4 Ford Falcon convertible, just had to have it. A friend died, I acquired his baby and guess what ... most years it's sitting in the garage unregistered. I have a yard with too many of those gems in the rough, that need to go before I die and, blah, blah blah.

I don't even listen to my own advice, because here I am wasting time on a gear forum evaluating the 6D2 I hope to purchase as a back up. And I'm just a hobbyist who probably doesn't even truly need a back up. I fabricate, it's for my wife, and perhaps it will be but she's not motivated very much herself, just fans me further into the hobby - buy the best, you have to have the best ...

Collectively we all have these issues and it's fun to socialize and express our thoughts and disappointments and passions and show off our boring or not so boring achievements. That's what decent caring humans do and why many of us get a little ticked with the negativity that overshadows CR when a new camera arrives.

Life is about what we love but more importantly who we love and what our purpose is here on this earth and largely true satisfaction is found in helping others when we can. That's why Tom can justifiably feel proud in making the effort he did. There also is nothing wrong with being proud of modest photographic achievements whether they be "boring" same old photos or whatever because it's still an achievement and it represents us to others.

I fire away at birds and whatever and then I "bore" anyone and everyone that seems to be mildly interested with my photos. Of course I have to be aware and use discretion, which I think I do, but it's really cool to have a secretary of a doctor I visited say, "thank you, that brightened my day, send more anytime". So once in a while I do send more, here there and everywhere. If they only sit on my computer what fun is that.

Finally it's OK to grumble, criticize, and express reactions to disappointment in a group of like minded folk but we need to be balanced or all the negativity ends up destroying our happiness in any given day. What good is a grumpy negative person! Don't worry, be happy. That's what my Grey whistles, happily. ;D

I know, I have to stop this pompous philosophizing and get out with the camera in the sunshine! :-[

Jack

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Jack Douglas said:
dak723, isn't it a pain we have to go through that for every new camera. I'm interested, so I follow the threads until I can't bear it and unnotify. Then I check after a few days to see if sanity is returning and repeat. Seems we live in an "I/me" world where Canon is expected to cater to every individual. On the other hand, maybe I'm just too old to remember my own immature behaviors! ;D

Jack

No, it is a totally different world in the age of the internet and digital tech. People that took photos (and lived a good percentage of their lives) in the film days were not interested in the tech of the camera very much because camera tech may not change for twenty years or more. You bought a camera, put in film, and then were concerned about the image. The camera didn't matter - they were all essentially the same in regards to the IQ of the image. With the advent of computers, and then all the other devices that people now use, the technology started at the beginning and then advanced from one generation to the next. So, today's folks EXPECT major changes from one release to the next. Because of that, they compare one brand against another for entirely different reasons than we did in the pre-digital age. It's all about advances in tech, whereas in the old days it was all about reliability, ease of use, ease to repair, how long will it last. What they forget - or just don't understand, is that camera and lens technology did not start at the beginning when they went digital. They started as mature technologies that were already limited by physics. With each generation, we have seen the camera makers find ways to make things more efficient by getting more light to the sensors and minimizing the electronic noise that the camera creates. But these differences are minimal - and often unnoticed by those who do not pixel peep.

I used the original Canon digital rebel for 9 years when I switched to digital from film. I had not "discovered" sites like this, so spent no time on specs. At some point in time I thought that the new Canon with 12 MP must be a noticeable upgrade to my 6 MP 300D. I bought it - compared the images (not the specs) and found that there was no noticeable difference. The 12 MP was returned. Eventually the 300D started having troubles, so I jumped to the 6D. When I did, I thought, "Oh, no, I'm afraid all my old 6 MP crop camera pics will look noticeably worse compared to anything I take with my new 20 MP FF." But - whether for good or bad - the differences were negligible in terms of IQ. Whew! What a relief when you think about it! (My best selling print when I did some summer art shows was taken with the 6 MP 300D and the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens! - How can that possibly be!) I don't pixel peep, I don't compare noise, I do minimal post processing - and guess what - I have no problems and no complaints with any of the images from Canon cameras from the original rebel to the latest release.

I don't want to generalize - that is very unfair, but in my main area of interest (which is painting) there is an old adage that those painters that are most interested in the technical aspects of painting (comparing paint brands, brushes, experimenting with different mediums and materials, etc.) are usually not very good painters. I think the same applies here. Are you looking at noise, or at composition? Are you looking at DR or looking at lighting? The best advice I ever heard in terms of photo composition was from the great Sports Illustrated photographer Walter Iooss, who said something to the effect that "What separates a good from a great photo is the background. Always take a moment to look at the background and how your subject relates to it." Should we start a thread about backgrounds and how they relate to your subject? Or would folks here be so completely confused if a thread did not discuss noise, DR, FPS, MPs or the other usual tech suspects.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

dak723, very well stated. In fact it's better than that.

I appeared on CR about 4 years ago as a total absolute dummy but I didn't start spouting off about things I didn't know. I just laid it out that I was a beginner and everyone accepted me and began helping with advice etc. A great community if we ignore the few troll like fools that always appear out of the woodwork.

I think it was Scott, PBD, that recommended the Freeman book, The Photographers eye, which I bought and digested as best I could and more recently re-read it. I am happy to spend a few dollars on such material if it's recommended by someone who really knows. I relish criticism of my photos because I recognize there is always room for improvement but on a forum so many folk tend to take offense or become defensive so it seems we have to steer clear of what could be so beneficial.

I see many taking shots at the likes of Neuro. He has always been very helpful to me and never put me down and he generally is making intelligent worthwhile comments. Blunt, forthright, sometimes wrong but willing to admit a mistake and a very valuable contributor.

So what's the issue? I think it boils down to egos, thin skins and arrogance on the part of those who are always locking horns with someone. However, what else is knew, I have to just accept it's human nature and I do very well as long as a new camera hasn't just been released! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

hne said:
dak723 said:
Should we start a thread about backgrounds and how they relate to your subject? Or would folks here be so completely confused if a thread did not discuss noise, DR, FPS, MPs or the other usual tech suspects.

I'd be delighted to read such a thread.

So would I but I know from past experience that they don't generally last too long. However, that's no reason not to. Of course those who know their stuff have to be actively involved and those folk tend to be very busy, especially this time of year.

Jack

Upvote 0

tomscott

Hey guys,

Just got back from a gruelling 14hr wedding.

All i can say is wow... the 6DMKII handled flawlessly and the tilt screen came in handy in so many shots! The high ISO is incredible and the low light AF... put it this way both blow the doors off a 5DMKIII I don't think the AF missed once on the dance floor this evening.

Now I have got used to using the two dial AF point selection method I think its actually faster than using the joystick and really enjoyed using this technique.

Auto ISO was very intelligent and I love the focal length minimum shutter speed. Actually didn't realise the 7DMKII had it also so used it all day and honestly is one less thing to think about. Situations unfold at 100 million miles an hour and its so nice to know that you won't get caught out. Although it doesn't work so well with standard telephotos 24-70mm for example it will shoot in that range so you can't rely on it for freezing action. Had to watch that.

Will have a look at the images tomorrow.

Very very happy performed fantastically. Above and beyond what I expected.

The camera has been slated but dam did it perform well, the feel, weight and how responsive it is I really feel this is a big improvement on the 5DMKIII I got shots today which weren't possible to me with that camera and it has made my job a lot easier.

Loved it so much I'm pretty sure I shot over 2000 images with it and I took 3 cameras....

;D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

joaquinus2017 said:
Hello

And for landscapes ?? I shot 90 % mountains, rivers, forest.. is ok for this ? (sorry my english)

Thanks

I'm not the most qualified but I'll say it'll be wonderful, it just might not be the "best". The question then becomes, are you a person that just have to have the best. I shot lovely landscapes with the 6D, but maybe a DR expert would dispute it. Who cares, everyone I show my photos to absolutely love them. Isn't that what matters? Of course if you're making money with the camera my perspective may not be totally correct. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

tomscott

Ok guys managed to get these uploaded to Flickr to share with you guys.

Experience was extremely positive, I don't think its playing overly well with my 24-70 F2.8 L MKI in terms of AF but all my other lenses I had no issue with at all 70-200mm F2.8 MKII and 16-35mm F2.8 MKII.

All i can say is wow... the 6DMKII handled flawlessly and the tilt screen came in handy in so many shots! The high ISO is incredible and the low light AF... put it this way both blow the doors off a 5DMKIII I don't think the AF missed once on the dance floor.

Now I have got used to using the two dial AF point selection method I think its actually faster than using the joystick and really enjoyed using this technique.

Auto ISO was very intelligent and I love the focal length minimum shutter speed. Actually didn't realise the 7DMKII had it also so used it all day and honestly is one less thing to think about. Situations unfold at 100 million miles an hour and its so nice to know that you won't get caught out. Although it doesn't work so well with standard telephotos 24-70mm for example it will shoot in that range so you can't rely on it for freezing action. Had to watch that and have now altered it to one stop. It would be nice if you could set minimums for lenses as three lenses I use the most is the trinity and obviously on the wide end if you let it shoot at a shutter speed matching focal length you get in trouble.

The camera has been slated but dam did it perform well, the feel, weight and how responsive it is I really feel this is a big improvement on the 5DMKIII I got shots which weren't possible to me with that camera and it has made my job a lot easier.

Loved it so much I'm pretty sure I shot over 2000 images with it and I took 3 cameras....

Helps to have a really awesome venue. Calthwaite Hall, Cumbria UK.

Here are some images

Sammy &amp; Richard Watson by Tom Scott, on Flickr

These two shot are so hard to shoot with the viewfinder, most brides can't really sit down when they have had their dress corseted so you have to get a really big chair or get them to sit by a window but this isn't always possible so using the tilt screen made this really easy, just touched the screen to focus and shoot. Just have to be careful as you don't have the three points of contact with the camera you have to make sure your shooting fast enough.

The shutter speeds are a little low in these shots but kept the ISO down. I would like preferred to be in the 1/60-80th as above now set this up a stop so at 24mm for example minimum will be 1/60th.

ISO 1600 looking really good

Cheeky 10,000 ISO at the end

Really pleased with the results. Hope you like them and they are helpful. These are full size and resoltion so have a look on Flickr to zoom around. No noise reduction added didn't think it needed it apart from the 10,000.

Cheers

Tom

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tomscott said:

Really pleased with the results. Hope you like them and they are helpful. These are full size and resoltion so have a look on Flickr to zoom around. No noise reduction added didn't think it needed it apart from the 10,000.

Cheers

Tom

...Okay, NOW you're just showing Off!!!! Wonderful shots, and a great exposition of the 6D II's qualities and capabilities....

Upvote 0

tomscott

mdmphoto said:
tomscott said:

Cheers

Tom

...Okay, NOW you're just showing Off!!!! Wonderful shots, and a great exposition of the 6D II's qualities and capabilities....

Thanks! It has been unfairly slated

Upvote 0

tomscott said:
Ok guys managed to get these uploaded to Flickr to share with you guys.

Experience was extremely positive, I don't think its playing overly well with my 24-70 F2.8 L MKI in terms of AF but all my other lenses I had no issue with at all 70-200mm F2.8 MKII and 16-35mm F2.8 MKII.

All i can say is wow... the 6DMKII handled flawlessly and the tilt screen came in handy in so many shots! The high ISO is incredible and the low light AF... put it this way both blow the doors off a 5DMKIII I don't think the AF missed once on the dance floor.

Auto ISO was very intelligent and I love the focal length minimum shutter speed. Actually didn't realise the 7DMKII had it also so used it all day and honestly is one less thing to think about. Situations unfold at 100 million miles an hour and its so nice to know that you won't get caught out. Although it doesn't work so well with standard telephotos 24-70mm for example it will shoot in that range so you can't rely on it for freezing action. Had to watch that and have now altered it to one stop. It would be nice if you could set minimums for lenses as three lenses I use the most is the trinity and obviously on the wide end if you let it shoot at a shutter speed matching focal length you get in trouble.

The camera has been slated but dam did it perform well, the feel, weight and how responsive it is I really feel this is a big improvement on the 5DMKIII I got shots which weren't possible to me with that camera and it has made my job a lot easier.

Helps to have a really awesome venue. Calthwaite Hall, Cumbria UK.

Here are some images

These two shot are so hard to shoot with the viewfinder, most brides can't really sit down when they have had their dress corseted so you have to get a really big chair or get them to sit by a window but this isn't always possible so using the tilt screen made this really easy, just touched the screen to focus and shoot. Just have to be careful as you don't have the three points of contact with the camera you have to make sure your shooting fast enough.

Cheers

Tom

Terrific pictures Tom,
glad the 6DII works so well for you :) after your 5DIII was nicked :(

Did you take long to get used to using tilt-flip screen - being used to 5DIII / 7DII?
W.

Upvote 0