First 7D Portraits

Some portraits of my son from my first session using my new 7D. I must say, it's a massive upgrade from my Olympus E-410. So much easier to shoot! The first shot is in my apartment complex, and the others were taken at the East Square in Zhaoqing, China.


7D with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ISO100, 90mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec


7D with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ISO100, 70mm, f/5.0, 1/320sec


7D with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS0100, 95mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec


7D with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ISO100, 135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec

Any comments/critiques are welcome. Please be gentle :D
 

Tinky

EOS 7D MK II
Handsome boy, yeah it's a good camera.

2 pointers...

Slow zoom lenses do it no favours. Get a fast USM prime. Something like a 50mm f1.4, a 85 f1.8 or 100mm f2.0.

Even if you never use them wide open (although thats possible / desirable with the 85 and 100) the extra brightness really makes the af sing sing sing, even if your shooting aperture is f8.

2nd pointer. Play with kelvins. Shoot RAW, you can always fix. I think the first couple of shots are 500k too warm. Presets are great. If you know the light then set it manual. If you shoot it RAW then you can tweak later.

My 7D still shoots as brilliantly as it did in 2009. Which is quite brilliantly indeed. It far outperforms my needs and ability. In considered hands its a great camera. It does need a bit of a tight leash though. Read the manual. In particular watch the canon AF set-up videos.

Most of all have fun.

And hello!
 

TexPhoto

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 15, 2011
1,234
25
San Juan, PR
Nice Photos! And a very cute kid. Focus looks a little off in some. Very important to get the near eye as the center of focus. I'd jump to ISO 200 or 400 here, and get a faster shutter speed. Kids move very fast.

This is a 7D V 1? I still have my V1 7D and love the darn thing. 400K photos and still going.

As mentioned, this camera loves quality glass. When you can afford it, consider an upgrade.
 
Tinky said:
Slow zoom lenses do it no favours. Get a fast USM prime. Something like a 50mm f1.4, a 85 f1.8 or 100mm f2.0.
Yeah, I certainly will, when I can afford it! The lens basically came with the body for free (it wasn't a kit, just a special offer). I'm saving for some better glass as we speak!

Tinky said:
Play with kelvins. Shoot RAW, you can always fix. I think the first couple of shots are 500k too warm. Presets are great. If you know the light then set it manual. If you shoot it RAW then you can tweak later.
I was actually going for a warm look. I prefer warm images, so I purposely used the Cloudy white balance on a gorgeous sunny day. I'll have a play in Lightroom and see how it looks anyway though.

TexPhoto said:
Focus looks a little off in some. Very important to get the near eye as the center of focus.
I'll have a look at the focus again later, but I thought they looked fine in Lightroom. Still learning the autofocus system though, as it's a massive step up from my 3 point Olympus!

TexPhoto said:
I'd jump to ISO 200 or 400 here, and get a faster shutter speed. Kids move very fast.
I'll keep that in mind.

TexPhoto said:
This is a 7D V 1? I still have my V1 7D and love the darn thing. 400K photos and still going.
Yep, original 7D. Super cheap on clearance, and I got the lens and a 16GB SanDisk CF card thrown in for free. It's a lovely camera!

Thanks guys!
 

Tinky

EOS 7D MK II
some of the prices I'm seeing just now are ridiculous. still a great camera for many situations. I'd been buying clean 20 & 30ds for knackering with timelapse, a low count 7d is looking more like an option these days. Got a 60d for next to nothing before christmas, 5000 clicks.... screen is better for my video...

thank goodness for planned obselesance, that and the bad reviews of the M, I have a matched pair for 2-camera interviews!