first attempts at macro stacking, let's see some stuff. (beginners only please)

Famateur said:
Forceflow said:
Here some examples of mine...

Forceflow, this series is just brilliant! The burning wick? Spectacular. A perfect example of what makes macro photography so captivating -- seeing detail in things one has seen a million times but had no idea how it really looks...

Thank you :) Yeah the burning wick was a successful shoot and turned out to be the favorite piece of art on my dA page. I was really surprised by the final result myself, it was a really unexpected look for sure. Really have to pick up my camera again. Been way to busy with other things recently and my equipment is really just collecting dust these days :(

Upvote 0

This is my first successful focus stack picture. This is a closeup of a feather. I used M on a rail to take it.

Attachments

• feather-1-small.jpg
    feather-1-small.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Actually I just found him dead in my house, thought I might as well photograph him

Marsu42 said:
Northstar said:
love that second shot..did you freeze him?

In that case, I don't love the second shot :-\ ... but alas, we all know how superior insect macro photography is done :-o

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
Is there any good free software for stacking?
I have Elements 12 but have no clue how to use it other than adjusting colours/contrast/brightness and maybe making an object disappear!
This software can be tried for 30 days for free. It is very intuitive and easy to use.

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-focus/

Upvote 0
I tried a bit of focus stacking a couple of years ago, but the software wasn't very good for Macs. Downloaded the latest HeliconFocus (demo for now), and am really impressed! Here's a dead leaf - 7 shot stack using the MP-E, and a pound coin - 27 shot stack. I just changed the focus to get each sub frame, seems to work fine. You need a lot more frames than might be expected, though, otherwise you get bands of in- and out-of-focus across the image. Fun times ahead!

Attachments

• leafskeleton1-1.jpg
    leafskeleton1-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 271
  • coin1-1-1.jpg
    coin1-1-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 285
Upvote 0