First Images & More Specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II Leak

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: 6D2 photos posted, new specs as well

GPS now confirmed, but I don't think we were really worried about that.

No 4K confirmed. 動画:フルHD、5軸電子手ブレ補正 = Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization

(Keep your britches on -- see emphasis above -- electronic IBIS for video is not proper/real-deal IBIS like the competitors, lest we forget)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Full translation from Google:

Number of pixels: 26.2 million pixels
Dual pixel CMOS AF
AF point: 45 points cross type
Continuous shooting: 6.5 fps
Maximum ISO sensitivity: 40000 (extended ISO: 102400)
Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization
Rear liquid crystal: 3.0 type Bali angle angle liquid crystal, touch panel
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
Built-in GPS
Size: 144.0 x 110.5 x 74.8 mm
Weight: 765 g

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

1) If I don't, CR guy sure as hell will. :p

2) Threads get cynical/OT/divergent by page 32 ;D and tend to winnow down to just a few regular posters. As much as a new thread might certainly will bring some screaming 4K / single slot people to the table, it will also will bring back the entire forum's attention to this -- and I kind of dig the weird observations they make on Leak Day.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
Only major things we don't know now:

• Max shutter speed
  • Flash sync speed
  • Buffer size
  • If you can do some 5D4 things that aren't top-line specs: DPRAW, AF selection on the touchsreen with your thumb while you are shooting through the OVF, etc.

Did I miss anything?

- A

Max shutter speed should be 1/4000 according to the picture like the 6D.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

So, the final verdict on 6D2 nerfing / 'feature based omissions for production positioning and margins reasons' appears to be:

4K: left out
FPS: almost the same as 5D4 (quite a nice surprise)
Two slots: left out
AF: Big bump, but not all the way to 5D4/1DX2 levels (as expected)

Resolution: Bumped, but not all the way to 5D4/1DX2 levels (as expected)
AF joystick: left out
5D-level thumb back thumb wheel: left out
Mfn button: added (nice surprise)
Headphone jack: left out
Large dedicated DoF preview / programmamble button: left out

DPAF: included (and in fairness, expected)
Buffer: Don't know
Max shutter: Don't know (edit) 1/4000 from the photos, but no spec-list level confirmation yet
Flash sync: Don't know
Shutter durability rating: Don't know

We can argue all day about whether something was left out for space reasons, left out for margins/cost reasons, or left out in a deliberating nerfing, but other than 4K and two slots -- don't get me wrong, a big deal for some -- the 6D2 is shaping up quite competitively to the 5D4 for the price.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

ahsanford said:
matthias said:
Max shutter speed should be 1/4000 according to the picture like the 6D.
Good eye! Do they always post the max value in release photos?

Yes...and the max native ISO setting. For the 6DII, that's ISO 40,000 (it's 32,000 for the 5DIV).

(Oops, looked at the original 6D in your composite pic the first time.)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Act444 said:
Looks like a solid upgrade for legacy 6D owners.

The lack of joystick, AF toggle and DOF button still put it at a significant disadvantage to the 5D3/5D4 for action and sport shooting, but it may be a good option for travel (smaller and much lighter than 5D) if FF quality is desired/required.

AF toggle? It got the Mfn button from the 5D line by the shutter, didn't it?

(Am I missing something? That's how I toggle through AF selection options through the viewfinder on my 5D3.)

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

ahsanford said:
So, the final verdict on 6D2 nerfing / 'feature based omissions for production positioning and margins reasons' appears to be:

4K: left out
FPS: almost the same as 5D4 (quite a nice surprise)
Two slots: left out
AF: Big bump, but not all the way to 5D4/1DX2 levels (as expected)

Resolution: Bumped, but not all the way to 5D4/1DX2 levels (as expected)
AF joystick: left out
5D-level thumb back thumb wheel: left out
Mfn button: added (nice surprise)
Headphone jack: left out
Large dedicated DoF preview / programmamble button: left out

DPAF: included (and in fairness, expected)
Buffer: Don't know
Max shutter: Don't know (edit) 1/4000 from the photos, but no spec-list level confirmation yet
Flash sync: Don't know
Shutter durability rating: Don't know

We can argue all day about whether something was left out for space reasons, left out for margins/cost reasons, or left out in a deliberating nerfing, but other than 4K and two slots -- don't get me wrong, a big deal for some -- the 6D2 is shaping up quite competitively to the 5D4 for the price.

- A

seriously?

AF joystick wasn't left out because of feature segmentation. you want an articulated screen, you don't get a joystick.

what's with you and calling it nerfed. did you expect the same features and specs as the 5D Mark IV or even the 5D Mark III that both sold for nearly 75% more at their release?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

rrcphoto said:
Act444 said:
Looks like a solid upgrade for legacy 6D owners.

The lack of joystick, AF toggle and DOF button still puts it at

AF toggle is there. DOF looks like it's on the side of the mount, grip side.

+1 DOF is even on Rebels, it's just tiny and awkward to handle. I'm guessing the small size of the 6D2's would imply that it is also not programmable like the 5D line. Seems fair.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

rrcphoto said:
what's with you and calling it nerfed. did you expect the same features and specs as the 5D Mark IV or even the 5D Mark III that both sold for nearly 75% more at their release?

Nerfing happens, but surely I am not arguing everything in red above can claim that as the culprit. In many cases, the red stuff above is simply what it takes to offer a $1999 rig at the margins they want (or to cram all that tech into such a small package)

But no headphone jack, single slot, etc. miiiight get the nerfing committee all wound up. The headphone jack is bone cheap and not a huge footprint space wise, and it's possible that Canon has critical market research to say 'folks absolutely will pay more for two slots so let's leave it out of the 6D level to sell more 5D4s', but that's just speculation on my part.

Don't start calling me K. ::) I'm just saying that Canon partakes in some deliberate/tactical gamesmanship above and beyond basic cost/margin targets.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:

Nerfing happens, but surely I am not arguing everything in red above can claim that as the culprit. In many cases, the red stuff above is simply what it takes to offer a $1999 rig at the margins they want (or to cram all that tech into such a small package)

But no headphone jack, single slot, etc

in other words, the same as the 6D it's replacing.

I think there's more to niggle when things are dropped from cameras that are replacing older ones. such as the D7500 going down to single slot,etc. hard to complain too much when that's what the 6D had before.

Single slot is in a way a surprise more than others because both the D610 and D750 had dual slots and you should be positioning the 6D II in between those two cameras.

fun fact.. the RRP of the D610 was $1999 and the D750 was $2299 - a little more clarity to where canon sees the fit.

Upvote 0

Yes, the word "nerfing" is thrown around much too easily these days, and largely now means "this isn't the perfect camera for cheap". I'd argue that nothing on the 6D2 counts as "nerfed"; it's a continuation of the 6D1 which was very successful. It's not a video camera (being able to take video does not make it a video camera), so I wouldn't expect a headphone jack. The 6D1 had a single card slot, and 1/4000 shutter, and so on. This follows that formula and adds increased AF points, resolution, ISO, adding DPAF, and I'm sure some other improvements for a very good price.

They'll sell by the truckload to mostly very happy people, and a couple of dozen people online will keep whining.

Upvote 0