First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Indeed. I think the new EF 400 and 600 L III lenses are a pretty solid statement (at $12 and $13K each, respectively) that EF isn't going to be obsolete any time soon.

As a likely imminent owner of the 400 III with only RF, I have a few thoughts and wishes:
  1. The investment in R&D to develop the IIIs can easily be transferred to an RF variant.
  2. They would overcome hesitation of RF owners like me by offering a dedicated adapter styled (colored) to match the lens and the R body (which the current adapters aren't - if should look like the tail end of an RF lens). For $12k I want to look like my lens goes with the camera.
  3. A dedicated adapter line could be expanded to offer dedicated TC/RF adapters. Presently EF/RF TC/adapters would be welcome.
  4. A new lens (III lightened variant of the 300mm?) could be sold with a removable RF adapter. My patent-pending aspect of this is to make the adapter removable only by an internal switch to prevent demating from the lens when on a camera. Another feature for the adapter would be some special control on the adapter that is useful only to R owners (like viewfinder brightness control, etc.)

Upvote 0