first pic of canon mirrorless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
treyconnally said:
If it really host the barrage of EF lenses I will own this camera. I never thought I'd say that, but having all this glass it'd be so fun to be able to put that on such a small camera on stay a little more discrete when shooting.

I doubt that with most Lenses attached this will be enough to stay discrete, save for shutter noise. ;)

Upvote 0
M

maxxevv

mb66energy said:
I don't think that J1/V1 from Nikon are comparable to the EOS M due to their sensor size. With adaptor I can use my lens range as I used it with my 40Ds - the 10-22 will stay a 16-35 equiv lens. I don't want to buy into different systems except perhaps FF - and I collected my lenses according to that change.

Let's see the EOS M as an intelligent back cap for my 10-22 that I use very seldom but it would be great to have fast access to its focal range with an EOS M attached to it.

That I agree. It would be a very appealing camera to existing EOS lens owners due to the equivalent DOF and focal length with a EF/EF-s adaptor.

As for your question on compatibility, if its compatible with EF, EF-S should not be an issue. The EF-S focussing plane distance is still further than the flange distance for mirrorless systems since it requires a clearance for the mirrorbox in APS-C/EF-S cameras.

So, if its designed as as EF mount adapter and works with the focusing distance of the EF lenses, it will be able to clear EF-S too.

Upvote 0
Finally a second camera I can just grab and slip into my coat pocket, then slip a hotshoe viewfinder into my other coat pocket. Then stash an external flash in my wife's purse, then sling a dslr bag around my neck and keep an EF adaptor and some of my EF lenses in that. On second thought, I'll just bring my 5d3.

Judging by the lack of buttons, this is surely for consumers, so no built-in flash seems like a mistake.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

@funkboy

touchscreen is a lot better than no controls at all...

True up to a point. However, I lusted after a Panasonic GF1, but never remotely considered a GF2 or GF3 for precisely this reason.

@mb66energy
... if I haven't made any mistakes, the images are real and the visible sensor area is nearly the imaging area.

One weird thing: the mount is very similar to the standard EF mount but ... it is rotated by roughly 15 degree counter clockwise ... so the adapter will never be a standard extension tube.

Would never be a standard extension tube in any case, for EF lenses apertures and focus to work you would need some comms between the body and camera. The ribbon can follow any path it wants between the two ends, so the rotation is hardly a big deal (so long as the adapter rotates the lens back by the same so that the
focus scale, switches and bayonet petaled lens hoods stay in the correct final position) an extension tube is generally designed to permit closer focusing, an adapter is generally designed to retain regular focus ranges of the adapted lens.

That said, it could be a great camera for adapting antique or obselete optics to!

@treyconnally
A Pancake 40 would look perfect on it.

That may depend on the adapter! If that is, an adapter is required.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
WOW, finally a Canon lens cap WITH additional inner grips ... like Nikon and almost evryone else has them for decades. Wonder, whether it will be included with the lens or an optional item like lens hoods ... :p

eosm4.jpg

Upvote 0
ssrdd said:
I can guess its same old aps-c 18mp sensor, either from 7d or t4i.
same old candy wrapped in new shape. Canon is playing this kind of a game from couple of years.

I'm guessing T4i sensor since they bothered with the on-chip phase detect AF. Having seen T4i's live view AF performance, though, I doubt it will be even in the ballpark of V1/NEX/GFx unless Canon has been seriously hiding things from EOS users these 5 years. :mad:

Upvote 0
This is a joke, is it?

And to me it proves that what I really want is to a) free up some major cash one day to buy the M9 and a few lenses or b) waiting for somebody to finally come up with a M9-like rangefinder with full frame sensor for half the price

...or c) finally set up a darkroom in the basement and go medium format film

Certainly not interested in this one if it materializes like that. It looks like a 1980s point and shoot of the worst kind.

Upvote 0
seta666 said:
Well, from the new pictures it seems an APS-C sensor indeed
For me the omision of flash is great, I preffer no flash than a useless flash; anyway, there is the 270EX which is pretty good and very pocketeable. I guess they will release an even smaller one for trhese cameras

If it does have a 3.5 shutter cable release and keeps the silent live view (I mainly shoot macro) I am in; it would be my second body for macro (first is 5D mkII) and would be the only camera I would take to the street when travelling

The only thing I fear is the sensor IQ is going to be well behind NEX cameras

If that new lens is real, you'll be happy to have another macro lens option! I wonder if what the Maximum Magnification ratio is?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Christian_Stella said:
Finally a second camera I can just grab and slip into my coat pocket, then slip a hotshoe viewfinder into my other coat pocket. Then stash an external flash in my wife's purse, then sling a dslr bag around my neck and keep an EF adaptor and some of my EF lenses in that. On second thought, I'll just bring my 5d3.

Judging by the lack of buttons, this is surely for consumers, so no built-in flash seems like a mistake.

+1...5D III with 40mm pancake. Done.

Upvote 0
If it has a 1.6x sensor and has an available adapter that controls EF lenses I will absolutely buy one. The only thing I am worried about with the EF adapter is lenses like the newer 70-200 2.8 IS II will suck the poor battery dry in no time at all. there is just no room in that thing for a battery big enough. I am afraid that a EF to EF-m adapter will disable IS and/or AF (I hope I am wrong!).

Upvote 0
EOBeav said:
This is the camera that the Canon community has been holding their breath for?

Not holding my breath but it would be nice to have a nice light + compact camera to take with me and the family at the fair/ theme parks etc that can double as a back up body for my large collection of EF lenses. If I did not already have so much invested in Canon it may not interest me at all given the other excellent cameras already available in this segment.

Upvote 0
Hmm, Canon's answer to the Oly OMD EM5?
Of course that's an image knocked up in Photoshop or Illustrator from the snapshots seen below it, well done too. Low res shots possibly real and taken with spy specs hence low res and poor quality.

Very tempting especially if they have kept to a Gxx type swivel screen. If they have then I'll have one despite the need to carry a small zoom in my bag as well. If they the swivel screen then it's possibly the death knell for the G series, if not then maybe we'll still see a G12 successor at Photokina??? Mind you if it's the same price as the Oly OMD then it's gonna work out expensive if one has to buy a zoom as well, whereas at least the Oly kit comes with a 17 - 100mm zoom for 1300€. Decisions, decisions!
Like has already been said it's going to be a long weekend.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.