First video using EOS R (love it) after switching from Sony a7riii

Just finished editing my first video using the Canon EOS R. I was a bit skeptical from reading all the reviews and switching from SONY but overall I am very pleased. There's something about Canon colors and the camera itself is easy to handle (interface, dials, etc...). My only real complaint is no IBIS and the gimbal I used (Zhiyun crane v2) could not really handle the weight of the body and the MASSIVE RF 50mm. Can anyone recommend a good gimbal for that weight package?

VIDEO

Here's the video and thanks for watching!

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 29, 2018
Nice video. I use the R on the Zhiyun crane v3. Is your issue that you just flat out can't get the combination to balance or that the motors aren't strong enough? If it is the motors aren't strong enough have you dialed up the motor strength to max? Changed the responce etc though the app? Even with that paint can size beast it should have enough strength assuming you get every thing balanced correctly.

If the issue is you can't get it to balance because you can't move the arms far enough back which is an issue I have with the Sigma 50-100 then you have two options. Either use the adapter and get a lighter 50 of which there are a lot of options or step up to a bigger gimbal but any thing bigger will get into Hollywood money pretty fast as well as needing a back support etc. Different lens will be the cheaper route but I know it isn't what you want to hear because those new RF lenses are so, so sweet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the tips. It didn't even cross my mind to think to dial up the motor strength. (I just assumed it was 1 strength). I was having a bunch of issues with vibration and moments where the gimbal would just start jerking around for no reason. The 50 and body fit on the gimbal but I have to max out the length of the support arms. Anyways, appreciate the tip and will try that at home.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Thanks so much for the tips. It didn't even cross my mind to think to dial up the motor strength. (I just assumed it was 1 strength). I was having a bunch of issues with vibration and moments where the gimbal would just start jerking around for no reason. The 50 and body fit on the gimbal but I have to max out the length of the support arms. Anyways, appreciate the tip and will try that at home.

That jerking is usually a sign that the gimbal isn't perfectly balanced (or forgot to disable one of the axis locks). There are a number of videos on youtube about balancing. If you haven't done it a lot I would give them a look, it is very critical. Just putting on a lens cap for example is enough to through one out of whack so glass moving back and forth can do it as well. It is the biggest issue with using a gimbal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Correct on the balance. If the camera wants to tilt immediately when it's turned off, the balance is way off. Even with a gimbal that has the power to handle an out of balance camera, you want it as close to balanced as possible to save on wear and tear and extend the battery life.

From the old steady cam days, you wanted to have it slightly bottom heavy, enough that it would take around 1 full second to swing when tilted 90 degrees and released. When balancing a gimbal, I aim closer to a half second when the gimbal is powered off.

Upvote 0