Five Canon RF lenses show up for certification

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon's, in recent years, has proved they can lay an egg.
Today I took possession of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III ($12 pawn shop find). It will be the "birding" lens for my wife's Olympus. If we'd like to talk about rotten eggs being laid, I think that lens is a good start. Somehow I don't believe the upcoming RF 100-500mm will be in that category by a long shot. On the other hand a photo is what we make it. No amount of money or lens design expertise can fix a rotten photo. A good photographer will do well most times, when he's trying.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Offering affordable lenses with appealing focal lengths is the only way to attract that portion of prospective mirrorless buyers that don't have the ability to throw down 10-15K for a couple of the amazingly good RF lenses. These lower cost lenses will also help compete with third party RF mounts. Slower lenses on a DSLR results in a dim image through the viewfinder whereas the EVF remains bright, making them the equivalent brightness of a faster lens, resulting in easier subject tracking and using manual focus. This is what I experienced when I mounted my 100-400L on my M5 and is one of the major factors in my decision to move to the R series mirrorless.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Today I took possession of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III ($12 pawn shop find). It will be the "birding" lens for my wife's Olympus. If we'd like to talk about rotten eggs being laid, I think that lens is a good start. Somehow I don't believe the upcoming RF 100-500mm will be in that category by a long shot. On the other hand a photo is what we make it. No amount of money or lens design expertise can fix a rotten photo. A good photographer will do well most times, when he's trying.
I see from your signature you have sold the RF 50/1.2. Any particular reason?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I see from your signature you have sold the RF 50/1.2. Any particular reason?
It is a great lens. I think, though, my 28-70 covers that focal length more than well enough for me. A good friend is always telling me I need a 50mm fast prime for portrait and fashion work. I tried, but I just don't like 50mm for portraits. So, I sold the 50 and hope to hang onto the cash for when a 135mm gets issued. Nothing against the lens at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It is a great lens. I think, though, my 28-70 covers that focal length more than well enough for me. A good friend is always telling me I need a 50mm fast prime for portrait and fashion work. I tried, but I just don't like 50mm for portraits. So, I sold the 50 and hope to hang onto the cash for when a 135mm gets issued. Nothing against the lens at all.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

but hopefully sharper @ 500mm! As long as it is close to f5.6 @400mm, people won't complain too much.

This is the lens they did a development release for, I think it is going to be rather exceptional. At least Canon seem to think it is a big deal, more so than what the teleconverters are getting shoved on.

Upvote 0
The 50 L is a “no compromise lens”?? No, the 200 f2.0 L is a no compromise lens, it’s nearly flawless in every aspect, but it is very heavy and very expensive. Same goes for the 28-70 f2.0 and RF85 etc. Same goes for the Otus range. To me the EF 50 L is all about compromise.

There's no such thing as no compromise. The 200L f/2's chief compromises are its size and cost.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Yes and none of that disagrees with my point that 'image IQ' is a subjective term that we should not fall into the trap of narrowing down to sharpness and contrast. It might seem unbelievable but the aberrations in the EF 50mm f1.2L are deliberate, they wanted it to look like that so should that be judged as a fault or just a lens you don't like because Canon's idea of rendering for that one lens isn't the same as yours. For sure other lenses have compromises for cost, features etc etc, but the EF 50 f1.2L, the EF 85 f1.2L and the EF 200 f1.8 L were no compromise lenses.

There are countless working pros who love the EF 50 f1.2L and the look it gives them, indeed as time moves on I think image character will be a bigger and bigger defining aspect between pro and non pro images, after all anybody can buy sharp lenses and good AF, but you can't post process the look an EF 50 f1.2L gives a portfolio.

Whatever drug you're taking, I want some of that.

'IQ', or image quality, has always been primarily about sharpness and contrast. It is quantifiable and objective. Aberrations often arise because of (1) technical capabilities at the time, (2) as a result of compromises made between weight, price and other salient considerations, or (3) limitations due to physics. So please don't try to confuse others by suggesting that IQ is not mostly about sharpness and contrast, or as if the presence of aberrations that lends 'character' to the resultant image means that u can place a lens that is not as sharp to be on equal footing with a sharper lens.

Image character, however, is certainly subjective. The combination of aberrations, sharpness, contrast and all of the other optical qualities will certainly change the rendering of the same image by different lenses.

I'm glad you like your EF 50 f1.2L, but no one in the right mind would say that the IQ of that lens is on par with the RF 50 f1.2L, because it certainly isn't by a mile.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
.... EF 50 f1.2L, but no one in the right mind would say that the IQ of that lens is on par with the RF 50 f1.2L, because it certainly isn't by a mile.

In your subjective opinion. Personally it sounds to me like you have fallen into the trap I outlined....

Now from a usability point of view I might agree with you but from a detached IQ point of view I don't see it, and given the fact the street price puts the RF 50 at twice the price of the EF version I'm sure there will be many EF 50 f1.2 owners for many years.

Upvote 0