Five new EF-M lenses for the EOS M lineup coming? [CR1]

I'd buy the Sigma 16mm f/1.4, but I've heard the lens might need calibration.
I've also heard of Sigma lenses so far out of adjustment that they can't be calibrated.
If I had a tech who I trusted to calibrate it, it would fine, but I don't...

Sorry to spread rumors. Google for "sigma calibration" if you want sources.

So it would be great if Canon made a 15mm !
Do Canon lenses ever require calibration straight out of the box ?
Calibration for what? I think you refer to DSLR lenses because mirrorless lenses don't need AF adjustment or calibration.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

epic.one

EOS M5 | Sony A7
Jan 26, 2019
Johannesburg
Does this mean an APS-C EOS R just got a lot less likely?
There was never any real prospects of an APS-C EOS R. Canon could but won't make one.
It's something the internet keeps talking about, but Canon representatives explicitly said at the launch of the RF mount that it is designed for Full Frame glass and will replace EF going forward.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Canon really needs to look at making some more serious lenses for the EF-M system. Currently the only lenses that do the M6 Mark II's 32MP sensor justice are the 11-22mm, 32mm, 22mm, and 28mm macro lenses. We need a much sharper "18-55mm" kit lens, sharper 18-150mm lens, and a sharper 55-250mm lens. Heck, maybe even make an L grade lens or two for the rumored M5 Mark II (the 32mm is pretty close to L grade already). It's great that Canon is still committing to the EF-M system, but they need to take it to the next level with lenses. Adapting L grade EF lenses is always an option, but those lenses will not be available forever now that RF lenses are replacing them and there's no real sign that there will ever be an optical RF to EF-M adapter.

Upvote 0

epic.one

EOS M5 | Sony A7
Jan 26, 2019
Johannesburg
Canon really needs to look at making some more serious lenses for the EF-M system. Currently the only lenses that do the M6 Mark II's 32MP sensor justice are the 11-22mm, 32mm, 22mm, and 28mm macro lenses. We need a much sharper "18-55mm" kit lens, sharper 18-150mm lens, and a sharper 55-250mm lens. Heck, maybe even make an L grade lens or two for the rumored M5 Mark II (the 32mm is pretty close to L grade already). It's great that Canon is still committing to the EF-M system, but they need to take it to the next level with lenses. Adapting L grade EF lenses is always an option, but those lenses will not be available forever now that RF lenses are replacing them and there's no real sign that there will ever be an optical RF to EF-M adapter.
Agreed.
And I also believe new lenses are on the way, starting with a 55mm f/2.0-ish prime to serve as a portrait lens and an 82mm-ish f/2.8 Macro. An EF-M 18-55mm II would be nice since the first one was designed for fewer megapixels.

Upvote 0

Linteria

EF-M Evangelist
Oct 23, 2020
Impatiently waiting for any of these lenses to come out. Personally, I have been thinking of replacing my 7artisans 55mm portrait lens with a Sigma 56mm for the AF and overall quality upgrade, but I'd much rather stick to first party glass and that 52mm f2 sounds right up my alley. Also interested in that 100-300mm super tele as my 55-200mm gets a lot of play.

Sadly, it's been 8 months since this rumor popped up and no updates have surfaced in that time... Shame.

Upvote 0
Impatiently waiting for any of these lenses to come out. Personally, I have been thinking of replacing my 7artisans 55mm portrait lens with a Sigma 56mm for the AF and overall quality upgrade, but I'd much rather stick to first party glass and that 52mm f2 sounds right up my alley. Also interested in that 100-300mm super tele as my 55-200mm gets a lot of play.

Sadly, it's been 8 months since this rumor popped up and no updates have surfaced in that time... Shame.

I’m afraid Canon has ceased development of EF-m lenses and I’m pretty sure there will be no new major updates on the M line of cameras, we might see a couple of minor camera releases which will basically be software updates like the M50 mk2 but will have to rely on third party manufacturers to build lenses. Real shame the M6 mk2 is such a great camera and the camera and lens combo small and light weight.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I’m afraid Canon has ceased development of EF-m lenses and I’m pretty sure there will be no new major updates on the M line of cameras, we might see a couple of minor camera releases which will basically be software updates like the M50 mk2 but will have to rely on third party manufacturers to build lenses. Real shame the M6 mk2 is such a great camera and the camera and lens combo small and light weight.

Source?

Upvote 0