Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It would sound like Apple...
But then Canon would have to come out with a new flagship every year and keep bumping up the price :D

Next year it would be the R X, R XS, R X Max and R XR! :D

Of course they could be like Microsoft, and then we'd have the R Pro, R Home, R 365, and R Enterprise.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The problem is Canon came late to the game and I cannot wait any longer. I need a high end pro mirrorless camera for my work flow. I do not want a camera with one card slot. I have already been burned twice with two cards the computer said it could not read the cards. One lab wanted $1500 to get the images back. I always shoot with two cards now. I also need a mirrorless camera that can shoot mutiple photos while in the silent mode. Second Sony and Fuji has taken a large market share away from Canon and that goes with Nikon too. I own the Fuji XT-2 system along with a number of Canon 5D Mark lll's and lenses. I have been happy with the Fuji camera but I also need a full frame mirrorless camera and I believe the Sony a9 to be the type of camera I need right now. It is a camera that can shoot better in lower light setting and higher ISO's than the Fuji cameras. I have learned that Canon sales people and technicians know knowing about new product development. Their job is either to fix or sell the products that are in the market place. I asked a few Canon reps two years ago at the NAB show in Las Vegas what is Canon going to do with the professional mirrorless camera market and they had no clue.

I have heard several such stories. Sad.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Am I the only one who has no interested in increased resolution beyond what's already offered in the 5DIV? I feel like they hit the apex with that sensor. The files are gigantic already and when I come back from a wedding with 2000-3000 files on average I really don't care to have even bigger files to manage.

I also have no need or want for anything over 30 MP. I would prefer even less - 24 MP seems more than enough. Anything above 30 MP would be a real negative for me and I won't go there until I have to.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But but then you cannot stand in front of the mirror and call 4K four times, to have all your dreams come true!!:eek:
No need if one owns a Sony. It knows what you need before you ask for it. I was going to go with Sony, but then I didn't have room in my bag for the cross.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
the problem for Canon moving to smaller dies are cost to make them. I am not sure if Canon makes their own SOC's but it is unfair to compare a SOC made in the millions to something Canon uses in such a small production number. It would be cheaper to have Samsung do the manufacture (if they already don't) then Canon themselves invest in the equipment. Still i agree with you on if they could use smaller dies it would be an incredible step up in mirrorless bodies, even if it's just for power savings.

Leveraging of Samsung by Canon (Fuji already has a partnership with them) would be a smart move to offset the dominance of Sony in the sensor arena.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The term seems to be 'full blown' rather than 'flagship'. I think that points towards a genuine 5DIV equivalent, rather than a super-pro speed machine. I agree that this could be the occasion for new tech to be tried out for a future 'flagship' pro model. The timing seems to tie up with earlier (pre-EOS R release) rumours about Q1 2019 releases, and that there would be two FFM bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
interesting that a rumor would include fairly specific launch timing, but not give the slightest indication, whether the expected "flagship" camera is more speed or resolution oriented ... mirrorfree "1D-X" or "5Ds" category"?
It is standard practice for Canon to keep the details very secret,they are paranoid about leaks. Sales reps may be told that a pro level is coming before CP+, but thats all they are told for now. Even VP's are not given specifics unless they need to know them. The specs themselves leak when cameras are given out for photographers to try, or more commonly when advertising material is being printed, which is why we only get firm info one to two weeks ahead of a announcement.

Upvote 0
Canon’s latest Nanoimprint lithography (NIL) tool, used to produce semiconductor chips, is capable of producing sub-10nm feature sizes. [REF].
Also, in Jan 2018 Nikkei Review reported that Canon to double output of chip making equipment.

I am almost certain of two things.
1. Canon is not manufacturing the DIGIC processor themselves, if they uses TI in the past I don't have a reason to suspect that they would have changed strategy. If DIGIC 5 was 45 nm, 5+ 45nm, 6 32 nm, 7 22nm then DIGIC 8 would be 14nm. Why would anyone suggest DIGIC 8 would be 30-40nm?

2. Canon is a supplier of tools/equipment to manufacture semiconductors, it does not mean Canon themselves would manufacture semiconductors on their own, let alone something like DIGIC.

Photo-sensors would not use the same manufacturing process used by a DIGIC processor.
Although Texas Instruments have nothing better than a 45nm facility, GF, Samsung, TSMC, Intel have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think this kind:
Charlton_Heston_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.jpg
That looks like a very apocalyptic version of an elderly the Gladiator('s), "Are you not amused?"

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The problem is that they haven't quite figured out the AF behaviour on their EOS R
Of course it will receive firmware updates, but a higher-end model will be even more complex, it would be weird to have the controls and higher fps but not a significantly better AF.
That's why I hadn't thought of the 26MP camera as the higher-end model rather than a lower-end, but we'll see. (this is still rated as CR1)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I'm not sure there's an "exodus" under way but people are definitely switching. Can't wait forever to get the features you want from canon. I have an A7III and 24-70GM on order. I still would prefer to use a canon camera for the friendly user interface, colors and ergonomics but they're not offering the features that I'm looking for. Many people are in the same boat. I may come back to Canon if they ever catch up though.

Exodus ?

Well, I can only speak anecdotally from my own personal experience as I don't have statistics.

I was seriously thinking about switching to Sony, but the YouTube reviews I've seen of the EOS R are enough to persuade me to stick with Canon.

From what I've seen the Viewfinder and AF are excellent.

Sure they don't have IBIS nor non-cropped 4k and that was a disappointment, but right now their lens IS is excellent and I for one mostly shoot stills.

Once they release a model which equals or surpasses the 5D4 in Image Quality then I'm going to buy one.

I just hope its not a 1DX-priced model as I can't afford that ... I just want a mirrorless 5D4 equivalent.

Upvote 0
I was seriously thinking about switching to Sony, but the YouTube reviews I've seen of the EOS R are enough to persuade me to stick with Canon.

I am a Sony (A-mount) user and despite Sony E being the logical choice when A-mount is killed, I am seriously considering the Canon and Nikon offerings. Had I been a Nikon or Canon user (I used to be but I had reasons to go with A-mount) the choice would have been easy.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Once they release a model which equals or surpasses the 5D4 in Image Quality then I'm going to buy one.

I just hope its not a 1DX-priced model as I can't afford that ... I just want a mirrorless 5D4 equivalent.

It's the same sensor as the 5D4, image quality should be the same!

Upvote 0
Just my idea: To make DPAF enabled cameras faster you have to increase the speed of sensor read out. Just in case of the "simple" M50 you have to read out millions of pixels ten or twenty times a second to provide data for the AF math. Maybe you need a new sensor which is logically divided in 4 quadrants each processed by one DIGIC CPU which communicate together especially if AF near the "division lines" is needed and combine their data into one image. Processing speed might be enhanced by a factor of 2 or 3 if you take the communication overhead between the CPUs into account.

Canon gave us "digital retina", they made a fundamental decision, and while being slower than competitors sensors readout they gave us a lot of creative freedom by turning ~60 ... 80% of the image area into an AF sensor! For my style of photography (landscape, macro, some mild action) it is a big thing because I can do macro of leaves in mild wind (servo AF enabled) reliably which was never before possible with my cameras without restrictions from AF points clustered in the center of the image!

Upvote 0