Flash and wildlife

Valvebounce said:
Orangutan said:
different species (and populations) respond differently to human disturbance, so we should not be quick to assume our actions are without consequences.
This statement got me thinking whether flash photography has anywhere near the implications that the intermittent feeders have. Those people who put up feeders and food and encourage an increase in the population just to forget to feed them when times get hard.

I believe this has been studied, I remember hearing about one such. Don't take this as settled fact, just my memory. I believe the results showed that it gave some bird populations an early start on nesting sites and breeding, as though they had been in the earliest wave of returnees. However, it did not seem to affect the species as a whole if there were "wild" areas nearby to allow diversity. That reminds me that I need to dig up that study: I've been thinking of going back to feeding birds (I had stopped for a long time for this reason).

Also we have just had a very short thunderstorm and I caught a flash full on, it left me dazzled, more than I have ever been with a camera flash, just saying.
I don't dispute that; however, if you were a bird (or other critter) that was regularly out in t-storms, you would probably learn to hunker-down and avert your eyes from the storm. A flash may be less powerful, but it's unexpected, and often right in the eyes.

Cheers, O.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Orangutan.
I didn't know about the study you mentioned, sounds interesting. Still learning something everyday.
Also a very good point about the lightning and hunkering down. I was stood in the back door enjoying the storm washing away the high humidity and pollen so I could breath easily and watching the lightning. D'oh. ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Orangutan said:
Also we have just had a very short thunderstorm and I caught a flash full on, it left me dazzled, more than I have ever been with a camera flash, just saying.
I don't dispute that; however, if you were a bird (or other critter) that was regularly out in t-storms, you would probably learn to hunker-down and avert your eyes from the storm. A flash may be less powerful, but it's unexpected, and often right in the eyes.

Cheers, O.

Upvote 0