Flip-screen Sample Shots!

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Don Haines said:
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” – Henri Cartier Bresson

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

i guess you need some extra time to find a quote on framing...

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

sorry, my mistake. from pictures to be taken with 3'000 dollar equipment, which is apparently missing vital features, i expect a little bit more than what i saw so far. i didn't see anything yet where a PowerShot would not suffice.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

It was a hint to you not to criticise.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

aha. sorry. didn't get it. i thought we want a feature on the camera that makes it easyer for us to take unsharp pictures.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

sorry, my mistake. from pictures to be taken with 3'000 dollar equipment, which is apparently missing vital features, i expect a little bit more than what i saw so far. i didn't see anything yet where a PowerShot would not suffice.
Shot taken with an SX-50.........

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Don Haines said:
romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Shot taken with an SX-50.........

:D

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Again, I think you've missed the point. The thread developed from speculation on the next 5D body, with some people asking for a flip-out screen, and others objecting. It's not that you couldn't take these shots on a cheaper camera (the 60D was mentioned a lot), but if you have a 5D (and aren't carrying a separate camera with flip screen as well), you would find some shots harder to take with it because it lacked a flip screen. Nobody was saying (as far as I recall) that the flip screen will make you a better photographer, nor that million dollar shots aren't possible without one. Just that with one, some situations (tight spaces, very low or very high viewpoints, some types of astrophotography, etc) are made easier. Besides, you'd still have the advantage of the larger sensor, better lenses, etc. that the cheaper cameras with flip screens don't have.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

aha. sorry. didn't get it. i thought we want a feature on the camera that makes it easyer for us to take unsharp pictures.
Is my macro self-portrait not sharp?

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Re: Flip

scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Again, I think you've missed the point. The thread developed from speculation on the next 5D body, with some people asking for a flip-out screen, and others objecting. It's not that you couldn't take these shots on a cheaper camera (the 60D was mentioned a lot), but if you have a 5D (and aren't carrying a separate camera with flip screen as well), you would find some shots harder to take with it because it lacked a flip screen. Nobody was saying (as far as I recall) that the flip screen will make you a better photographer, nor that million dollar shots aren't possible without one. Just that with one, some situations (tight spaces, very low or very high viewpoints, some types of astrophotography, etc) are made easier. Besides, you'd still have the advantage of the larger sensor, better lenses, etc. that the cheaper cameras with flip screens don't have.

see, that's exactly why i don't need (and want) a flip sceen. there is apparently just plain nothing i cannot do without flip screen. and it doesn't make my camera bulky, potentialy more expensive, potentially more weather, dust and damage exposed and crappy looking and feeling.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
StudentOfLight said:
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
AlanF said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Is my macro self-portrait not sharp?

the one you've attached to this post is very very sharp... ::)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Not many shots in this gallery !

Does a Powershot count ? I'm having a break from the 5DII and the 6D. Here's one shot on a G1X with the camera mounted low on a Manfrotto Befree, and I had the screen flipped out so I could look down on the image to compose. A sort of trip down memory lane with the old 6x6 cameras. Definitely made the shooting more pleasant from this angle.

However, personally speaking I don't see this as a feature on a genuine high end stills camera. If you are spending that much on the gear and the image is that important then fit a field monitor as others have said.

I see this as a feature for the camera aimed at the 'enthusiast' more than for someone for the camera is a genuine working tool. I would think there is every change the future 6DII will have one.

Just as an aside, for those that like resolution and sharpness I'm also attaching a 100% crop from the image. You don't need expensive gear to get sharp landscape shots ;)

Attachments

• Yr Aran.png
    Yr Aran.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 408
  • Yr Aran crop.png
    Yr Aran crop.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 396
Upvote 0
Re: Flip

romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

see, that's exactly why i don't need (and want) a flip sceen. there is apparently just plain nothing i cannot do without flip screen. and it doesn't make my camera bulky, potentialy more expensive, potentially more weather, dust and damage exposed and crappy looking and feeling.

Well that's fine! But not having the use for something oneself is not the same as a usefulness not existing. Personally, 95% of the time, I don't need one either. And I can get around it for the rest. But I can see it would be very convenient for those 5%. As for the other objections, they are largely disproven (as in, a flip screen needn't diminish weathersealing since some flip screens are weather sealed, nor add any cost, given it's cheaper cameras that tend to have them), or a matter of taste (crappy looking... I mean, when the screen is docked, it's not usually obvious it's there imho).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To follow on from sport on, the Powershots with, dare I say it, Sony 1" sensors take very good photos as Canon designs great little lenses with excellent in-camera processing. The tilt screens on them are rather useful for impromptu shots at difficult angles. I fail to see why tilt screens would lower a high end dslr - a camera is just a piece of kit for taking photos.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
scyrene said:
romanr74 said:
Don Haines said:

Um, romanr74? Where are your one-in-a-million shots taken without an articulating touch screen? I'd love to see those. I think everyone here would. Could you start a thread for your one-in-a-million shots? We'd all be thankful to see them even if we are not worthy.

Upvote 0