Flourine lens coat vs no coat

Drizzt321

EOR R
Nov 23, 2011
1,667
0
Lala land
www.aaronbaff.com
traingineer said:
Drizzt321 said:
Nikon has a nifty video out showing the how awesome their flourine lens coat is. I'm going to guess that Canon, etc lens coat does something pretty much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsRx_OKTzo
I noticed that Nikon are trying to push that their fluorine coatings and Fluorite elements are "better" than what Canon has.
Better, worse, whatever. In practical terms, I imagine there's little to no difference. Probably only something someone like Roger @LensRentals would be able to measure, and even he would say it has little or no visible difference in the real world.
 
May 8, 2013
1,853
1
traingineer said:
I noticed that Nikon are trying to push that their fluorine coatings and Fluorite elements are "better" than what Canon has.
Yeah, I am surprised at that. I thought the Nikon marketing people would claim that the Nikon product is worse than the Canon product. ;D
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,635
2,142
Nikon is late to the party with their fluorine coat – they've got it on one supertele, whereas Canon uses it on five supertele lenses (four primes and a zoom), and more importantly on several lenses that aren't uber-expensive niche lenses (24-70/2.8 II, 24-70/4, 8-15 fisheye, 70-300L, 16-35/4, and MkIII TCs, maybe I missed some?).

Nikon shows two other 'vendors', who else besides Canon uses a fluorine coating on exposed elements? Do they even mean other lens vendors? It's possible they purchased fluorine coating reagents from two vendors (fluorine coatings are used as anti-graffiti spray on public buildings), and compared those to their in-house process. As for their testing, 500 g/cm2 is a pretty heavy-handed lens cleaning, a quick test on a lab balance suggests that I usually use 150-200 g/cm2 for a normal lens cleaning, and it is likely that the relationship between applied force and coating removal is nonlinear.

Cool video though, looks like the marketing folks had some fun with it!
 

traingineer

EOS 80D
Feb 27, 2014
189
0
neuroanatomist said:
Nikon is late to the party with their fluorine coat – they've got it on one supertele, whereas Canon uses it on five supertele lenses (four primes and a zoom), and more importantly on several lenses that aren't uber-expensive niche lenses, 24-70/2.8 II, 24-70/4, 8-15 fisheye, 70-300L, 16-35/4, and MkIII TCs, maybe I missed some?).

Nikon shows two other 'vendors', who else besides Canon uses a fluorine coating on exposed elements? Do they even mean other lens vendors? It's possible they purchased fluorine coating reagents from two vendors (fluorine coatings are used as anti-graffiti spray on public buildings), and compared those to their in-house process. As for their testing, 500 g/cm2 is a pretty heavy-handed lens cleaning, a quick test on a lab balance suggests that I usually use 150-200 g/cm2 for a normal lens cleaning, and it is likely that the relationship between applied force and coating removal is nonlinear.

Cool video though, looks like the marketing folks had some fun with it!
The Canon 24-70mm Mark II apparently doesn't have fluorine coatings, as seen in image 1, and besides the 300-600mm Mark II super teles, the 8-15mm fisheye, 200-400mm, 16-35mm F4, 24-70 F4, 1.4/2x TC III and the 70-300 have the fluorine coatings applied to the front and rear elements,
 

Attachments

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,635
2,142
traingineer said:
The Canon 24-70mm Mark II apparently doesn't have fluorine coatings, as seen in image 1
The 24-70/2.8 II apparently predates the illustration of the fluorine coating in Canon's block diagrams, but not the application of the coating to front/rear elements.

From the Canon USA product page for the 24-70/2.8 II: Built for the rigors of professional use as well as to meet the increased number of shots available with digital photography, it's constructed with improved dust sealing and water resistance while fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces help reduce soiling, smears and fingerprints.
 

traingineer

EOS 80D
Feb 27, 2014
189
0
neuroanatomist said:
traingineer said:
The Canon 24-70mm Mark II apparently doesn't have fluorine coatings, as seen in image 1
The 24-70/2.8 II apparently predates the illustration of the fluorine coating in Canon's block diagrams, but not the application of the coating to front/rear elements.

From the Canon USA product page for the 24-70/2.8 II: Built for the rigors of professional use as well as to meet the increased number of shots available with digital photography, it's constructed with improved dust sealing and water resistance while fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces help reduce soiling, smears and fingerprints.
:eek: Well that is interesting.
 

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
922
0
I'm fairly certain that every Canon EF lens released on or after late 2010 has the fluorine coating. For some reason, they apparently did not do this on any of the EF-S or EF-M lenses, as far as I can tell, which seems pretty dumb to me unless it costs a lot more than I think it does, but....
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,635
2,142
dgatwood said:
I'm fairly certain that every Canon EF lens released on or after late 2010 has the fluorine coating.
The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS, EF 28mm f/2.8 IS, and EF 35mm f/2 IS are all more recent than late 2010, do they have the fluorine coating?
 

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
2,957
2
70
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Just infor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=898652&gclid=CPnu7LK-vb4CFeJF7AodQw4AoA&Q=&is=USA&A=details


Product Highlights of Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Lens

EF Mount L-Series Lens
Aperture Range: f/4.0-22
Two UD & Two Super UD Lens Elements
Dual Aspherical Lens Elements
Hybrid Image Stabilization (IS)

Ring-Type Ultrasonic Autofocus Motor
Macro Mode with 0.7x Magnification
Weather Resistant to Dust & Moisture
Fluorine Coatings Reduce Fingerprints
Zoom Lock Lever

Another Infor :

http://www.canon.com/technology/s_labo/light/003/03.html
 

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
922
0
neuroanatomist said:
dgatwood said:
I'm fairly certain that every Canon EF lens released on or after late 2010 has the fluorine coating.
The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS, EF 28mm f/2.8 IS, and EF 35mm f/2 IS are all more recent than late 2010, do they have the fluorine coating?
I thought they did, but upon checking further, apparently not. Guess it's just the L lenses.

Why, Canon? Why?
 

mackguyver

EOS 5D SR
traingineer said:
The Canon 24-70mm Mark II apparently doesn't have fluorine coatings, as seen in image 1
Or does it???
(from the Canon USA EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM page)

Canon is annoyingly inconsistent and inaccurate about this kind of stuff (just look for the lenses with Super UD elements in them throughout their websites and brochures), but this page has 2 references - the text and the FASC logo which stands for Fluorine Anti-Smear Coating, I think.

And the North America lens manual is pretty clear as well. See both attached below:
 

Attachments

traingineer

EOS 80D
Feb 27, 2014
189
0
mackguyver said:
traingineer said:
The Canon 24-70mm Mark II apparently doesn't have fluorine coatings, as seen in image 1
Or does it???
(from the Canon USA EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM page)

Canon is annoyingly inconsistent and inaccurate about this kind of stuff (just look for the lenses with Super UD elements in them throughout their websites and brochures), but this page has 2 references - the text and the FASC logo which stands for Fluorine Anti-Smear Coating, I think.

And the North America lens manual is pretty clear as well. See both attached below:
Thanks mackguyver! But Neuro was a little faster in correcting my mistake. ;)