Flower macros

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I shot a few more crocus pictures today. I like the painterly quality of this one, shot at f/2.8:

IMG_0512

Also taken at f/2.8 but from farther away (but cropped similarly), this one has more of the flower in focus, but still has some of the same quality:

IMG_0513

At f/16 the look is very different:

IMG_0501

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Now the hyacinths have bloomed, so here are some shots. Some are hand-held, but since the hyacinths are bigger and the flowers are farther off the ground, I could use a tripod for some of them. As before, the twisting screen of the 6D2 made composing practical. With the tripod, I could use manual focus when desired.

IMG_0537.jpg

I liked the detail of this one, but since this is cropped from a large picture, and the auto exposure cranked the ISO up to 16,000 to get the shutter speed to 1/100 sec. The noise shows up. If I had known that I was going to crop it that much, I would have done noise reduction in Camera RAW. Of course I can redo the picture easily enough in RAW and apply noise reduction if I ever wanted to do something else with it. I find the noise reduction in Camera RAW to be more effective than any of the methods in Photoshop itself. That may just my ignorance of all the PS features.

IMG_0541.jpg

Before I set up the tripod, I saw a dandelion near by, so I lowered the camera very close to it. I took this at f/5.0, and probably should have stopped down more, at the risk of too slow a shutter or two high an ISO. As it was, I sharpened the stamens in Photoshop, perhaps too much.

dandelion.jpg

Upvote 0