Flower macros

Dec 9, 2012
So, not a macro, but I'm getting the itch! The 100L is on my list. DPC, nice job! I do have a couple of questions. I'm embarrassed that I don't know this, but, what is the purpose of an extension tube? If you already have a macro lens, would you still use one? DPC, what aperture range do you use for your pictures? Also, using mirror lock up, tripod, and timer, what shutter speed? Does it still need to be super fast?
Great shots everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 863
Upvote 0

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
one of mine, shot today with 100L and 5DmkIII, hoya polarizer
cropped a little bit, added vigneting and corrected white balance
4.jpg

on 500px

Upvote 0
Badger said:
So, not a macro, but I'm getting the itch! The 100L is on my list. DPC, nice job! I do have a couple of questions. I'm embarrassed that I don't know this, but, what is the purpose of an extension tube? If you already have a macro lens, would you still use one? DPC, what aperture range do you use for your pictures? Also, using mirror lock up, tripod, and timer, what shutter speed? Does it still need to be super fast?
Great shots everyone!

1. Nice picture, Badger.
2. An extension tube attaches between the camera body and a lens, moving the lens farther from the sensor. This causes the lens to focus closer, thus increasing the magnification. You can turn an non-macro lens into a close focusing lens by doing this (doesn't work as well with telephoto lenses). This is a much cheaper alternative to buying a macro lens. The advantage of a macro lens, other than the obvious one of permitting close focusing, is that it can be used for other purposes. For example, the Canon 100mm macro (either the L or non-L) can be used as a good portrait lens or for any other purpose its focal length permits. You can't use a lens with extension tubes attached for anything but macro photography. There are some good videos and other things about using extension tubes on the internet. Check them out.
3. You could attach extension tubes to a macro lens but I doubt many people do.
4. I usually use a wide aperture (i.e: f/2.8) but that's because I tend to favour a really narrow depth of field. I like more abstract looking macro pictures. It's just a preference of mine.
5. The shutter speed depends on the available light. The less light, the longer the shutter needs to stay open to give a properly exposed picture. Your camera's metering system will help you with that.
6. I find it best to use Live View (the ability to magnify in Live View is really helpful in refining focus) and manual focusing when I'm taking macro photographs.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
A friend gave us a cactus plant earlier this month. It flowered a couple of days ago. I shot it with a 100mm f/2.8 L.
Our madagascar jasmine <em>(Stephanotis floribunda)</em> flowered profusely this year! and it rained the night before I shot these still with droplets on the blooms. These blooms have a beautiful scent, lovely!
Enjoy.
-r

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 816
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 790
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 803