Flowers and other Flora

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Mirage - very nice shots and excellent knowledge of your plants, keep posting!!!
Riley - very nice dahlia! I have no idea haw easy they are for your climate but back in the time my grandma had a garden full with dahlias (many different varieties) and ~9" were not the biggest. What I remember was preserving the roots during the winter in the the very special under the house room (where my granddad was keeping his wine - and sometimes there were arguments who is taking to much of place:)!).

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Columbine / Aquilegia alpina

Today I got another species for you from my 2017 "spring in the mountains" serie. Images captured same time (June 4, 2017) and place (Austria, Salzburg limestone alps, sloped forest glade, around 1100m elevation) as the Lady's Slipper and Cyanus Montanus images posted earlier.

8cd125980d99ce8b09850fd9e6020b58.jpg

95e6073696dec311e800f9123c8d2a03.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
ISv,
Thanks.
Wife is responsible for plants and orchids in the house.
The dahlias are grown in pots because we can't grow them in the ground outside. The deer will eat them as salads :mad:!
It's probably not too hard to grow them in warm months, mid May to late October. We vary the types of flower every year, and this year, these. For us, the size is quite satisfying.
The tubers have to be recovered in late late fall/early winter and stored in the cool basement. Our winter here is too cold for the tubers to survive.
The plumeria plants we got from Hawaii are doing well, hoping that they'll grow branches and put out flowers next year. And the Liliko'i seeds sprouted and the young plants are about 4-5 inches tall. Just hope we get some fruits next year. Can't wait. Grown very fond of Liliko'i juice!
-r

Mirage - very nice shots and excellent knowledge of your plants, keep posting!!!
Riley - very nice dahlia! I have no idea haw easy they are for your climate but back in the time my grandma had a garden full with dahlias (many different varieties) and ~9" were not the biggest. What I remember was preserving the roots during the winter in the the very special under the house room (where my granddad was keeping his wine - and sometimes there were arguments who is taking to much of place:)!).

Upvote 0
Mirage,
Beautiful flowers and beautiful shots!
I like columbines.
-r

Columbine / Aquilegia alpina
Today I got another species for you from my 2017 "spring in the mountains" serie. Images captured same time (June 4, 2017) and place (Austria, Salzburg limestone alps, sloped forest glade, around 1100m elevation) as the Lady's Slipper and Cyanus Montanus images posted earlier.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Upvote 0
Durf,
Not all photos are about pretty objects. This certainly is not of an object of admiration, but the image has all the quality of a well thought of composition and lighting.
-r
It was a rather tricky shot; I like to challenge myself occasionally with "weird" subject matter and out of the box compositions that result in shots like that.....
they are nothing spectacular but I enjoy messing around and creating strange images.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And the Liliko'i seeds sprouted and the young plants are about 4-5 inches tall. Just hope we get some fruits next year. Can't wait. Grown very fond of Liliko'i juice!

:) - I think you missed few more available species of Passion fruit here (we have around more than 10 species and hybrids). The last picture is of the most common one when you hike the rain forest trails. Elongated, yellow fruits, more sweet than the "regular" species (P. edulis) and flowers with a scent of lemon. The first two photos are of species growing in much dryer habitats, also edible but I never tried to test it ~small! Both species have a lot of common names...Passiflora foetida  - bush passion fruit 4.jpgPassiflora foetida  - bush passion fruit 6.jpgPassiflora laurifolia - Yellow water lemon 1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Thank you ISv!
Not surprised that there are many species of the plant.
We have some local here, called "May Pop" because they come out in May, of course. They produce fruits but are dry so not usable. I got some from an old neighbor and even gave extra to a friend. They grew them and it took over their yards! Just too bad their fruits are useless. Also, I took a video of a flower blooming. From ripe bud to full blossom only took 10 minutes! Beautiful and unique flowers, and fragrant to boot!
Thanks for showing you photos.
-r

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
ISV - love those blossoms and your images, especially #2. Had no idea, what the fruit looks like ... where i live they are definitely in the "exotic fruits" department. Or in bottled drinks only. :)

Thanks mirage! Only the fruit of this particular species (P. foetida) has that "envelop" - at least from what we have around. These tiny droplets there are able to capture insects BTW.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Wild turmeric from Western ghats:
IMG_0231 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
Common Begonia:
IMG_8422 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
Green flowered smithsonia(Smithsonia viridiflora)
IMG_7579 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
A plateau on outskirts of my city which is filled with flowers at the end of monsoons every year:
IMG_5516_stitch by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
Single Leaved Habenaria:
IMG_9122 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Haven't uploaded all my photos of wildflowers of western ghats yet. Just a handful of examples.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Chaitanya,
Fascinating flowers! Lovely shots.
Never saw turmeric before and our begonia are usually red.
And the two orchids are wonderful. Were they shot at night? Not orchids we can purchase in the US :( :mad:.
Hope to see more of your shots.
-r

Wild turmeric from Western ghats: by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Common Begonia: by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
Green flowered smithsonia(Smithsonia viridiflora)
IMG_7579 by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
A plateau on outskirts of my city which is filled with flowers at the end of monsoons every year: by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Single Leaved Habenaria:

IMG_9122
by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr
Haven't uploaded all my photos of wildflowers of western ghats yet. Just a handful of examples.

Upvote 0