Flowers and other Flora

Jack Douglas said:
npdien said:
29335863265_0c16dd5fc8_m.jpg

When I was a kid we'd have been making ski poles out of that bush! :)

Jack
Sounds like interesting childhood experience, Jack, making you very handy now. You even can fabricate machine to handle granite work.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
npdien said:
Jack Douglas said:
npdien said:

When I was a kid we'd have been making ski poles out of that bush! :)

Jack
Sounds like interesting childhood experience, Jack, making you very handy now. You even can fabricate machine to handle granite work.

Yes, it's been a long life of mechanical adventures. Started when I disassembled an alarm clock when I was about 5. Too many interests for one lifetime. Life and the world has so much that is fascinating to see and photograph and smell and touch. Right now it's fun being retired if I could ever get the backlog of unfinished jobs done.

Not good, maybe 100 photos all summer! :'(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well I just had to make a first post - a rather poor flower and ugly pot .......... but shot with the EF 400 DO F4 II X 1.4. :) No AFMA yet but it seems good. There is even one piece of granite showing with the uninstalled caps. Progress is slow. :(

Jack

Attachments

• Flower_400DO_560_33627.JPG
    Flower_400DO_560_33627.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
npdien said:
Lovely shot, Jack. You have a sense of composition when taking the photo of the flowers off center. Shoot more to deepen your skill of composition.

Encouragement is always appreciated. I do try to consider lines and placement and background and all that but I'm not a natural eye. For this one it was just get one shot using the 400 DO so AlanF didn't beat me to it with his new 400DO. ;D Three of us got the new lens at virtually the same time.

I have pieces of granite leaning against 30' of wall and all over my driveway as I try to visualize how, with limited coloration, I can reproduce a mountain scene on the planter face using the color/texture/grain of the granite. I'm missing key colors like blue and green but have lots of shades of gray and earth tones. I'm never content just doing the job; always get caught up in making it more impressive/challenging. Imagine a mural 2' tall by 19' wide.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
npdien said:
Lovely shot, Jack. You have a sense of composition when taking the photo of the flowers off center. Shoot more to deepen your skill of composition.

Encouragement is always appreciated. I do try to consider lines and placement and background and all that but I'm not a natural eye. For this one it was just get one shot using the 400 DO so AlanF didn't beat me to it with his new 400DO. ;D Three of us got the new lens at virtually the same time.

I have pieces of granite leaning against 30' of wall and all over my driveway as I try to visualize how, with limited coloration, I can reproduce a mountain scene on the planter face using the color/texture/grain of the granite. I'm missing key colors like blue and green but have lots of shades of gray and earth tones. I'm never content just doing the job; always get caught up in making it more impressive/challenging. Imagine a mural 2' tall by 19' wide.

Jack
I wish I had your 400 DO lens for shooting flowers on branches too high for my existing 100 macro. Hope one day I will be able to purchase 100-400 II. You 400 DO may create razor blade thin DoF and, as such, it is good for shooting and isolating a single flower from background.

Sounds like you have considerable granite workload, keeping you pretty busy day after day. Though it's quite noisy and dusty work, you still try to embed something artistic in the hard rock. The planter must look impressive when completed.
cheers, Dien

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Dien,

I really like the 300 for flowers and bugs, in fact, it was usually 300 X2 so I didn't need to be so close.

I'm the inverse of artistic and here I am trying to create a scene. The best I can hope for is something like the abstract mountain paintings that aren't faithful to colors and so forth. If I had lots of time I could work on separate small items like a shed, tree, buffalo but cutting little odd shapes and epoxying them together is very time consuming. It was to have been completed by tomorrow! LOL

Jack

Upvote 0