Flowers and other Flora

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dpc.
We know this locally as a gorse bush, prickly stuff to move through! It is seen as a pest species, growing out of control on downland, one local area has taken to flattening it with flail mowers and putting goats on to the area to control the new growth, seems goats really will eat almost anything! :LOL:

Very difficult to get a nice photograph, well done!

Cheers, Graham.

1. Ornamental orange blossom
  2. Yellow wildflowers growing by some rocks View attachment 185350

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi dpc.
We know this locally as a gorse bush, prickly stuff to move through! It is seen as a pest species, growing out of control on downland, one local area has taken to flattening it with flail mowers and putting goats on to the area to control the new growth, seems goats really will eat almost anything! :LOL:

Very difficult to get a nice photograph, well done!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks for the information. I don't know a great deal about flowers and such, other than I like them in general. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Hi dpc.
We know this locally as a gorse bush, prickly stuff to move through! It is seen as a pest species, growing out of control on downland, one local area has taken to flattening it with flail mowers and putting goats on to the area to control the new growth

That's not good - it provides superlative safe nesting for small birds (and a very nice background for bird photographs).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
This area was featured on the BBC weekly nature programme called Countryfile as being a well managed area? There are acres of gorse and they are never going to get it all, just trying to return small areas to their original state, it is smothering the rare wild flowers or something!
Apparently I was mistaken, the goats are to control Holm Oak, another Victorian introduced species. :rolleyes:
I’m sure there is more than enough gorse for the birds, the area is also popular with ground nesting birds but the dog walkers regularly ignore the dogs under control notices, a far bigger problem along with the turds they ‘forget’ to pick up!

Cheers, Graham.

That's not good - it provides superlative safe nesting for small birds (and a very nice background for bird photographs).

Upvote 0