Focus Stacking etc. with the 5Dmk4

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
HI, I have been using DSLR Controller fairly successfully with my 5Dmk3, for remote shooting and to do focus stacking. Although some features of DSLR Controller seem to work, up till now I could not
correctly take a single photo with my 5Dmk4 and have it stored on the Camera, I have contacted the author to see if
an update is planned to DSLR controller.

Does anyone currently have an automatic solution for Focus Stacking for the 5Dmk4?

BTW. I did some manual stacks, just by moving focus in Camera Connect and then taking a shot,
then repeating that. It works. But automatic, also with exposure bracketing etc. would be very
welcome.

Cheers Brian

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
chauncey said:
Can we assume that you've tried Canon Utility Software?
Yes, but as I said I did it all manually, I never saw a way to do it automatically in EOS Utility.
Plus, stacking and exposure bracketing at the same time? Can't see that either.
EOS Utility can move the focus for me, but nothing else as far as I can see.
CHeers Brian

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Mikehit said:
I have been looking at similar myself, and Helicon Remote seems to be the front runner
You define a computer screen the nearest and further points and tell it how many shots you want in between and away it goes.

It also seems to do exposure bracketing as well

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-remote/
That is exactly what DSLR Controller can do.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
bjd said:
Mikehit said:
I have been looking at similar myself, and Helicon Remote seems to be the front runner
You define a computer screen the nearest and further points and tell it how many shots you want in between and away it goes.

Cheers Brian

You will see that Heilcon focus does it automatically. Which from what I can see was the question in your original post. So now you have me confused what it is you want to do.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mike.
I think the issue is that the 5DIV is currently not supported by DSLR Controller due to some changes in hardware / firmware, DSLR Controller can do all the required functions, and more, on a 5DIII.

Cheers, Graham.

Mikehit said:
bjd said:
Mikehit said:

Cheers Brian

You will see that Heilcon focus does it automatically. Which from what I can see was the question in your original post. So now you have me confused what it is you want to do.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Mikehit said:
That makes sense.
If Canon have not yet updated their software yet I would be very surprised if anyone else has had the accessibility to code to do the same.
AFAIK the communication between Camera and android is reverse engineered on DSLR Controller.
I would be surprised to hear that Canon gives the developer any information at all.
The Dev. did get back to me in the meantime that he is working on getting DSLR Controller to play
nicely with the 5DIV.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mike.
I think the issue is that the 5DIV is currently not supported by DSLR Controller due to some changes in hardware / firmware, DSLR Controller can do all the required functions, and more, on a 5DIII.

Cheers, Graham.

Mikehit said:
Define nearest point, define farthest point, say how many shots I want, or how many steps it should take, and let the Software get on with it. That is what DSLR controller can do already, for example with the 5DIII (as Graham pointed out).
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Mikehit said:
That makes sense.
If Canon have not yet updated their software yet I would be very surprised if anyone else has had the accessibility to code to do the same.
Canon has updated DPP and EOS Utility to support the 5DIV, but EOS utility cannot automatically take "stacked" shots like DSLR Controller can. I looked at the Web Page for Helicon Remote and the 5DIV was not yet mentioned as being supported.

I guess the solution will be DSLR Controller or Helicon Remote once they support the 5DIV.

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0