Formula One from Silverstone

TitsnChicks said:
I think that's the best response from any post I've ever seen online!
Thanks for that.

No problem, if something's worth saying its worth saying properly hahaha

For me, I'm not looking to go pro...I'm not bad, I have a great eye for photography... So I have a budget of around £3000 and was looking for a camera and a lenses that will allow me to bird, Motorsport and still create creative scenes while I rebuild my collection.

That's a sensible approach... although for 3000 you will be (I imagine) hard pressed to get both the 7d ii and the 100-400ii for that.

The 70d would be a good fit as it's so cheap at the moment under £600 and the 100-400 is under £1000 so it's not a bad venture. But I like the idea of grabbing something new, something faster, something that I can learn again from scratch with new features Etc (7dmkii - if it exists) so I'm going to hold out until sept.

The 70D will be an excellent choice and itself is the newest of the xxD range, depending on what you have now its very very capable camera. Agree wait till the 7 ii comes out and see if it offers anything significantly worth while for the £2000 (guestimate) price tag

I never considered the 5d3 as I thought it would be poor for shooting Motorsport but it seems your images have proven me wrong there :D so I may consider a 5d2 maybe as I think the 3 is out of my price range with a decent lens?
The 5D iii has a very similar auto focus system to the 1DX so its very very good for it, the 5d ii has a questionable autofocus system that will not make it idea but people do use it with great success..

For example... https://www.flickr.com/photos/27241061@N07/sets/72157645333697993/

Just out of curiosity, where do you think are good vantage points at silverstone? I was at the grassy hill in between club/vale and it looks like so e of your images were taken by the side of the track opposite the podium (where they open the gates for the invasion) is there any where else you would suggest is good to get such close up shots?

Any F1 event is difficult because of the size of runoffs, crowds, and spectator restrictions. My favorite spots are different to others and it all depends what you want to achieve. 90% of the time you have to shoot through catch fencing which means you need over cast conditions to really get results... my best advice is go to Silverstone as much as you can throughout the year and really learn where you can and cant get shots, there are loads of great events and often small crowds. Personal favourite spots in track order Brooklands, luffield, copse, beckets, hanger straight, inside at vale, club farm and the loop (nearly every corner on the track).... the absolute worst place i've tried to shoot is in fact that grassy bank at Vale on the outside. You need to understand that spectators and photographers have different opinions of a good view.

All indications point to the 100-400 being best for me, as it will allow me to to have more flexibility, and use my camera is more situation than just 1 prime. I can alums buy more lenses later, but if I can have 1 camera and 1 lens it seems like the 100-400 is the way forward as it allows me to cover more than just Motorsport (general walking around and landscapes to an extent.

Yup a good stable choice, used by many

Thanks again for the response, it was much appreciated, any other info you feel you can share is more welcome, tips, ideas, etc..

Eg..
Do you focus and wait for the subject to pass?
What is your most reliable or "go to" setting when shooting the f1 or panning etc.
What are the best vantage pint a that allow you to get interesting views of the cars (I love the gravel pit shot)
Anything you feel lime sharing is really welcome, as I think your shots are great, and if I can bring home a few shots like that from my weekend in 2015, we'll, I'd be an incredibly happy man. :D

There is a wealth of advice about how to shoot motorsport, far too much for me to write here, at the risk of directing people away from this forum - if you google motorsport photography forum or motorsport photography tips you'll pick up all you need to to know (my preference is the folks at talkphotography.co.uk).... experimentation is the key to finding out what you like and how to do it.

But generally, always track the subject, always use AI servo, always use single point Selection, the faster the car the faster the shutter speed you can get away with. 1/320 is about optimal for head on F1 cars to get a balance between movement and sharpness.... panning you are looking sub 1/100 for the best results... its not an easy thing to master, and different conditions & styles require different settings

Upvote 0
TheJock said:
I believe that I will see a significant improvement as the Canon’s focus will be faster than the Sigma, and capturing birds in flight is more a miss than a hit for me at the moment.
Additionally keep your eyes peeled on big primes on the UK’s Ebay, I’ve seen the 400L f5.6 going for between 600 and 800 quid, now strap a 2xTCIII on one of those and you’ll never worry about reach again!!

It depends on the lens to be honest my Sigma 100-300 f4 was faster and sharper than all the Canon 100-400s I tried and the optical stabilisation is largely useless for me.

You should probably also mention that the 400mm f5.6 with a 2x converter will 1. be like looking down a dark tunnel 2. have a max aperture of f11 3. be a strictly manual focus lens 4. hemorrhage the IQ (regardless of the spiel canon raves about with each upgrade). :) just in case any amateurs decide to go that route

Upvote 0