Four More Unreleased Canon Lenses Have Shown Up for Certification

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
BeenThere said:
One could be a new mount kit lens to include with the new FF mirrorless coming at Photokina. Maybe a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, although Canon usually likes to put zooms in the kit, so more likely a new 24-70.

Is it likely that we'd see the lenses go in for certification before the new body does?

Not unless lenses have some wireless/FCC-regulated hardware on board, right?

- A

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a new 17mm TS, too. The current one shmears detail when you shift it very far—and that's why you get one instead of a 16-35 zoom. So you can shift it. Small interiors are fine and it's what I use it for mostly, but if I have a wide exterior at an 'infinity focus' distance away, I stitch together multi-images from a 24 TS.

And yeah, glare! Those same interiors have pointy-source light fixtures.

If Canon could get that bulbous glass tucked in so a filter polarizing filter would fit! Doesn't even have to be quite 17 mm.

And a tripod foot! I've mentioned that before…..

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
800mm f/5.6L DO IS USM with built-in 1.4x extender ;)

800mm f/5.6L DO IS USM with drop-in 1.4x extender ;) there fixed that for us.

Why make a light DO lens and then add a pound / half kilo to it?

A drop in 1.4x module like where the filter goes would be pretty cool tho. Or an extender with flip in out capability would also fit the bill and address the need for quick focal length changes, and be optional for us light weights ;D

Upvote 0
applecider said:
scyrene said:
800mm f/5.6L DO IS USM with built-in 1.4x extender ;)

800mm f/5.6L DO IS USM with drop-in 1.4x extender ;) there fixed that for us.

Why make a light DO lens and then add a pound / half kilo to it?

A drop in 1.4x module like where the filter goes would be pretty cool tho. Or an extender with flip in out capability would also fit the bill and address the need for quick focal length changes, and be optional for us light weights ;D

Mine is at least physically possible! How do you squeeze an extender into the tiny filter space? And though the extender adds weight, who wouldn't want a native 1120mm lens!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
sanj said:
tron said:
art sanchez said:
Any new hint on the rumored 17 ts-e replacement?
Do you have it and are disappointed by it for some reason? Or you just want a replacement for the replacement?

You think you are funny or just being rude? I think this forum like today's social media could do with politeness. This question is either a typo or he is misinformed. A polite reply would be better.
Neither funny nor rude! I DO have it and I am satisfied by it. If someone else has it they can express opinions of this lens' IQ I might have missed.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
slclick said:
jolyonralph said:
Treyarnon said:
Is one of those new lenses going to be a 70-200 mk4?

The 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS is surely in need of more desperate update now.

Many would say, there have been 3. Not me of course...lol.

Hardly. If you want a 2.8 lens without IS, or more likely you can't afford an 2.8 lens with IS, then the IS lenses aren't really an option.

Just as the 24-70 with IS option, if it ever comes, is going to be a more expensive option and the 24-70 without IS will almost certainly remain on sale.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The non IS 70-200 2.8 is better than the version I IS and bested only by version II. So it has no REAL need for update. I had bought one almost immediately when it was available. Back in the 90s it was my first zoom lens with IQ similar to a fixed lens (judging from b/w darkroom enlargements). Unfortunately it was in a bag that has been stolen.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Since these new certifications seem to be a bit nebulous, I thought I would clarify:

3045C005AA = EF-M 32 f/1.4
2959C005AA = EF-M 53 f/1.8 IS
2963C005AA = EF-M 63 f/2.8 IS Macro
2972C005AA = EF-M 17-50 f/4.0 IS

There is no bias inherent in these predictions, other than the fact that I really really want these lenses. Then, by all means, Canon may release the M5 mkii...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
Since these new certifications seem to be a bit nebulous, I thought I would clarify:

3045C005AA = EF-M 32 f/1.4
2959C005AA = EF-M 53 f/1.8 IS
2963C005AA = EF-M 63 f/2.8 IS Macro
2972C005AA = EF-M 17-50 f/4.0 IS

There is no bias inherent in these predictions, other than the fact that I really really want these lenses. Then, by all means, Canon may release the M5 mkii...

Nice list. A constant aperture zoom -- even f/4 IS -- is a great add if it ever happened, especially if it gets Nano USM. (Hell, EF-S would love that as well.)

- A

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
Nice list. A constant aperture zoom -- even f/4 IS -- is a great add if it ever happened, especially if it gets Nano USM. (Hell, EF-S would love that as well.)

I am wondering if there's a good reason why Nano-USM hasn't hit EF-M yet, and maybe it uses more power than STM?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Sabaki said:
But I can't see any reason to upgrade the MP-E65 thugh. What a phenomenal lens

Well, according to Canon UK the lens is no longer in production and once stock is gone, it's gone. Or at least that's what they told me at the Photography Show this year.

Upvote 0

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
Sabaki said:
Wondering if the 180mm Macro is due for a refresh? Some new coatings, revised innards and I'm pretty sure a new model could comfortably outperform the current.

I can definitely see a reason to update the MP-E. I’d like it to have a greater magnification range, going from .5x to 5x. Often I’m pressed as to whether I should take a 100 macro or the MP-E if I think I might run into something large, like a lot of beetles.

If Canon made an MP-E 105mm f2.8L .5x-5x I would die a very happy man ;D

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
jolyonralph said:
Sabaki said:

Well, according to Canon UK the lens is no longer in production and once stock is gone, it's gone. Or at least that's what they told me at the Photography Show this year.
Thats a real shame which means once the stock is gone(like with 50mm macro), Canon shooters will have to rely on 3rd party makers for high mag macro lenses. In this case its Laowa with 2 lenses 25mm and 100mm or 60mm Macro.

Upvote 0