Frits van Eldik on shooting an F1 weekend with the EOS-1D X

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
On the Friday I started shooting only RAW, as this is how I would normally use a camera. Then I received a message from London saying ‘Frits, there is no RAW converter available at the moment, so you can only shoot on JPEG’. I received that after my day’s work and I thought it was a shame I couldn’t use these pictures – I could only see them in the camera. So, I decided to shoot JPEGS for the next two days.

That evening I was thinking ‘in this camera it is possible to work on your pictures, so it must be possible to work on a RAW [file] and save it is a JPEG’. My camera was in the locker at the racetrack so I went there the next morning. I took one picture as a RAW and I could change it to JPEG. I decided to put the pictures of the day before onto the card again and changed them to JPEGs in the camera so I could have a proper look at them and use them. So I shot the first day RAW and changed it [images] in the camera to JPEG.”

1,000 shots a day normally? Sounds like he wasn't slacking trying it out :)

Upvote 0
I love this quote:

When I do events for Canon you have two types of photographers. I find professional photographers [often] don’t go into technical details – they just ask about the handling – and you get hobbyists who ask technical [specification] questions. One of the questions I get asked is ‘It’s only 18.1 Megapixels, why not more?’ I answer ‘First of all, who needs more?

Upvote 0
T

Tijn

V8Beast said:
I love this quote:

When I do events for Canon you have two types of photographers. I find professional photographers [often] don’t go into technical details – they just ask about the handling – and you get hobbyists who ask technical [specification] questions. One of the questions I get asked is ‘It’s only 18.1 Megapixels, why not more?’ I answer ‘First of all, who needs more?
Yay! I ran into some woman on the beach with a Canon 5D mk2 (I only had a 350D then) and the question that I asked her was how it felt :---) Does that make me a professional photographer? :p

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
tt said:
On the Friday I started shooting only RAW, as this is how I would normally use a camera. Then I received a message from London saying ‘Frits, there is no RAW converter available at the moment, so you can only shoot on JPEG’. I received that after my day’s work and I thought it was a shame I couldn’t use these pictures – I could only see them in the camera. So, I decided to shoot JPEGS for the next two days.

That evening I was thinking ‘in this camera it is possible to work on your pictures, so it must be possible to work on a RAW [file] and save it is a JPEG’. My camera was in the locker at the racetrack so I went there the next morning. I took one picture as a RAW and I could change it to JPEG. I decided to put the pictures of the day before onto the card again and changed them to JPEGs in the camera so I could have a proper look at them and use them. So I shot the first day RAW and changed it [images] in the camera to JPEG.”

1,000 shots a day normally? Sounds like he wasn't slacking trying it out :)

1000 sounds fairly restrained for a day shooting action.You could have a full-on day in the studio and be lucky to shoot 100 captures but at a full day shooting track & field or swimming & diving it's not hard to come back with 3000-5000 shots. A day like that needs to be followed up with a brutal slash and burn editing session with only the very very best shots making the cut.

After reading this piece I can't wait to get my pre-ordered 1DX. The potential of this camera as a tool to really push creative boundaries and possibilities makes my mouth water. For a certain type of photographer and in the right hands it will be the best, creatively satisfying money making machine Canon has ever produced.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
Tijn said:
V8Beast said:
I love this quote:

Yay! I ran into some woman on the beach with a Canon 5D mk2 (I only had a 350D then) and the question that I asked her was how it felt :---) Does that make me a professional photographer? :p

If she paid you for your services, then yes ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.