Frogfish Finds (Devours) Nemo!

Mantadude said:
Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate to film as pretty cool behavior of a Frogfish. While it is a little sad, as a nature videographer, this is the stuff we live for. I used the trusty Canon 5d MArk II with 100mmL.

Let me know what you think.
Dustin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmZXMaEZAU

I think that you are very good in what you are doing and that you were a bit lucky this time as well.
Congrats. How deep were you?

Upvote 0
OP: Nice video! Looks like one less Clarkii around.
Zeidora said:
Looks like an aquarium shot. Amphiprion that far away from an actinarian is rather unlikely.
Not at all. They have to venture out to feed. And while they are often found hosting in a variety of anemones, not everybody in the ocean gets a house. Most species of Clownfish are very territorial.

Upvote 0
Zeidora said:
Looks like an aquarium shot. Amphiprion that far away from an actinarian is rather unlikely.

Well...I must have been dreaming this then. Because I distinctly remember being underwater in Bali in September recording this in Tulamben. ;-)

If you follow my stuff you will realize I don't do aquarium shots. And for further proof, here is an unedited version that shows my excitement underwater that has the audio...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB8-6SsDaIc.

Anemone fish actually can journey quite far from their host anemone. You have to be patient, and get away from them a bit. I backed off probably 10 feet or so, so it would feel comfortable to come out. I was filming the frogfish while it was moving, and missed the first strike on the anemone fish, so I knew it was hungry. Thankfully it missed, as my shot wasn't set and it was very shaky footage. I waited another 15 minutes or so, just waiting for this. It was very exciting, as I have wanted to capture a frogfish feeding for a long time. My only regret is that I didn't have a high speed camera.

Upvote 0
Mantadude said:
Zeidora said:

Well...I must have been dreaming this then. Because I distinctly remember being underwater in Bali in September recording this in Tulamben. ;-)

If you follow my stuff you will realize I don't do aquarium shots. And for further proof, here is an unedited version that shows my excitement underwater that has the audio...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB8-6SsDaIc.

Anemone fish actually can journey quite far from their host anemone. You have to be patient, and get away from them a bit. I backed off probably 10 feet or so, so it would feel comfortable to come out. I was filming the frogfish while it was moving, and missed the first strike on the anemone fish, so I knew it was hungry. Thankfully it missed, as my shot wasn't set and it was very shaky footage. I waited another 15 minutes or so, just waiting for this. It was very exciting, as I have wanted to capture a frogfish feeding for a long time. My only regret is that I didn't have a high speed camera.

Are you sure it was you? ;)
Our reef (about half a mile from where I live) has strong current. The ocean (Indian) is very agitated as well.
You must have felt you were in paradise.

Upvote 0
martti said:
Mantadude said:
Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate to film as pretty cool behavior of a Frogfish. While it is a little sad, as a nature videographer, this is the stuff we live for. I used the trusty Canon 5d MArk II with 100mmL.

Let me know what you think.
Dustin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmZXMaEZAU

I think that you are very good in what you are doing and that you were a bit lucky this time as well.
Congrats. How deep were you?

Thanks. I was very lucky. I believe it was about 40 feet....I could be wrong though. I don't pay too much attention to depth unless I am really deep.

Upvote 0
GmwDarkroom said:
OP: Nice video! Looks like one less Clarkii around.
Zeidora said:
Not at all. They have to venture out to feed. And while they are often found hosting in a variety of anemones, not everybody in the ocean gets a house. Most species of Clownfish are very territorial.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Upvote 0
martti said:
Mantadude said:
Zeidora said:

Are you sure it was you? ;)
Our reef (about half a mile from where I live) has strong current. The ocean (Indian) is very agitated as well.
You must have felt you were in paradise.

Pretty sure...lol. ;)

Upvote 0