FroKnowsPhoto: Hands-on with the Canon EOS RP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Jared Polin AKA FroKnowsPhoto had a chance to visit New Orleans on Canon’s dime to get some hands-on time with the Canon EOS RP, Canon’s latest full frame camera.
This isn’t a full review, but it is a hands-on photo shoot and a good one at that. Jared had my favorite review of the EOS R, and this review of the EOS RP should answer most of your questions.
Jared also gives his impressions of the 6 new RF mount lenses announced to be in development here.
Preorder the Canon EOS RP

Canon EOS RP Body w/EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1299
Canon EOS RP w/EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/froknowsphoto-hands-on-with-the-canon-eos-rp/]Continue reading...
[/url]

Last edited:

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I think Jared was pretty bang on harping that this is an entry level full frame and quite capable as a stills camera. Some people will consider this for a pure stills, others for the small form factor (it does look small/light).. like most of canon's offerings again seems to have weird choices on what they did and didn't include. The price is decent, but some of the shortcomings make me pause again. Keep in mind when comparing features to Sony this is about $700 USD cheaper than the A7III...

Tempted, but again nothing screams at me that I must have this camera. Probably just sit on my 80D for a while longer and continue the long wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Which is not the target demo for an entry-level full frame mirrorless photo camera, many of whom may not even have 4K TV's or monitors to display 4K content on, let alone a workflow to edit it.

The video crippling in this camera is embarrassing for any ILC, entry level or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Eww, Jared Polin. No thanks. I thought y'all had standards. If you're going to feature a reviewer, feature someone who has some dignity.

I thought Jared did a great job in the video. It is very informative for the amount of time he had with it. He was very fair too.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Over the past 20 years I have read, viewed and listened to many photography gear reviewers, critics, etc. Once you get to know the style that the reviewer has, you can take that into consideration.

Initially I quite disliked "Fro Knows Photos" videos because of his body language (not that I'm biased against him, just a personal preference how I prefer any review / discussion video to be). However there are also aspects of his reviews that I have grown to appreciate. Jared makes a number of valid points in most of his recent reviews. He comes across as fairly impartial to brands, which is important. He's far from the worst of reviewers.

Having written that, I actually enjoy reading, listening and/or watching a variety of reviews of 'new gear' to decide if/how interested I may be in that. Then, I venture into a few bricks and mortar stores in my city and try them out over time (usually a few weeks) - to decide if I might purchase them. I have done this with most of my gear for more than 18 years.

Soon after the EOS R was launched, I used it a few times, and tried it out in store. It is not the camera for me. Neither do I expect the EOS RP to be, though from a value for money position, the EOS RP seems much better. Each the R and the RP have their decent selling points as Canon's early models into the FF mirrorless market. I expect a more professional model to be one that brings me over to FF mirrorless.

I have a number of Canon APS-C DSLRs, lots of lenses, including L glass - as well as accessories (e.g. Speedlite flashes, tripods, etc). I also own a M5 and have 4 EF-M lenses, which make a great lightweight / travel option. The fact that my EF and EF-S lenses (as well as my accessories) will work on Canon FF mirrorless bodies is very important for me. Indeed, that all my Canon glass and accessories work on my M5 is also relatively handy! Having written that, I do expect in time after owning the right Canon FF Mirrorless camera, I will buy some of their amazing RF glass too.

It's an extremely good time and so exciting to be a photographer right now. I am looking forward to what Canon has to offer in the next FF mirrorless camera.

PJ

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
The video crippling in this camera is embarrassing for any ILC, entry level or otherwise.

Why though? Video must be important to you, I get that. It's not important to me and I'm not saying my viewpoint holds. But video 1. Isn't free 2. Isn't photography. The stills capability of most video cameras are extremely rudimentary when compared to a dedicated stills camera that has a little bit of video.

Really, the market will decide. If Sony creams Canon over the next 18 - 24 months in full frame mirrorless and it's because their video capabilities are superior, it will come. But it's sure not going to come in an RP-level body - I don't think that's embarrassing at all, because if you want to spend $1200 on a video camera you can do that, and do a lot better than what a Sony full frame mirrorless does, too.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I bought my R to replace my SL-2, but this camera would have been a even better choice for a replacement, small for travel and great AF. I don't use the silent mode on my R, so having it dumbed down isn't a negative. With the adapter and grip being included for $1300, it seems like a great travel camera, but I'd want that 24-105mm zoom, because changing lenses exposes the sensor which I don't want to do. I'd want to stick to one lens unless indoors where I could change lenses with minimum risk of blowing debris getting inside.

I'm wanting to order it for travel, but having 3 FF bodies doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'd want to sell one of them. I may buy one anyway and see how I like it. Adorama has a 30 Day trial period in case it really doesn't suit you, and you can increase that to 60 days with their optional plan.

I see no advantage to buying the RF kit, you can get the free EF adapter and grip with the base camera and buy the RF 24-105 for $200 off.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I bought my R to replace my SL-2, but this camera would have been a even better choice for a replacement, small for travel and great AF. I don't use the silent mode on my R, so having it dumbed down isn't a negative. With the adapter and grip being included for $1300, it seems like a great travel camera, but I'd want that 24-105mm zoom, because changing lenses exposes the sensor which I don't want to do. I'd want to stick to one lens unless indoors where I could change lenses with minimum risk of blowing debris getting inside.

I'm wanting to order it for travel, but having 3 FF bodies doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'd want to sell one of them. I may buy one anyway and see how I like it. Adorama has a 30 Day trial period in case it really doesn't suit you, and you can increase that to 60 days with their optional plan.

I see no advantage to buying the RF kit, you can get the free EF adapter and grip with the base camera and buy the RF 24-105 for $200 off.

Jack may be in the market for a an EOS R ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Over the past 20 years I have read, viewed and listened to many photography gear reviewers, critics, etc. Once you get to know the style that the reviewer has, you can take that into consideration.

Initially I quite disliked "Fro Knows Photos" videos because of his body language (not that I'm biased against him, just a personal preference how I prefer any review / discussion video to be). However there are also aspects of his reviews that I have grown to appreciate. Jared makes a number of valid points in most of his recent reviews. He comes across as fairly impartial to brands, which is important. He's far from the worst of reviewers.

Having written that, I actually enjoy reading, listening and/or watching a variety of reviews of 'new gear' to decide if/how interested I may be in that. Then, I venture into a few bricks and mortar stores in my city and try them out over time (usually a few weeks) - to decide if I might purchase them. I have done this with most of my gear for more than 18 years.

Soon after the EOS R was launched, I used it a few times, and tried it out in store. It is not the camera for me. Neither do I expect the EOS RP to be, though from a value for money position, the EOS RP seems much better. Each the R and the RP have their decent selling points as Canon's early models into the FF mirrorless market. I expect a more professional model to be one that brings me over to FF mirrorless.

I have a number of Canon APS-C DSLRs, lots of lenses, including L glass - as well as accessories (e.g. Speedlite flashes, tripods, etc). I also own a M5 and have 4 EF-M lenses, which make a great lightweight / travel option. The fact that my EF and EF-S lenses (as well as my accessories) will work on Canon FF mirrorless bodies is very important for me. Indeed, that all my Canon glass and accessories work on my M5 is also relatively handy! Having written that, I do expect in time after owning the right Canon FF Mirrorless camera, I will buy some of their amazing RF glass too.

It's an extremely good time and so exciting to be a photographer right now. I am looking forward to what Canon has to offer in the next FF mirrorless camera.

PJ
Wow, someone being positive about new camera equipment. Certainly makes a refreshing change ;-). We certainly are spoilt for choice but too often people just complain. I think some people get lost in all the specs and then convince themselves any new camera they buy must come with a load of pro features they likely don’t really need. The price alone will probably help sell the RP in healthy numbers, even without ‘proper’ video features (I’m sure hobbyist photographers aren’t looking for 4K anyway).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
New to the forum. New to full frame. Have to say I am the target market for the RP. Maybe even a reach up for me. We’ve been Rebel users for a few years, but for efficiency and ease, spent too much time in “Auto” (guessing that’s a four letter word around here).

Kids are getting older and family travels are taking us to some amazing places. Our old gear was getting a bit beat up (all in one Sigma 18-300 3.5-6.3 Macro and Rebel body). With upcoming plans, it was time to upgrade.

After the holidays, for a bit over $2,000 all in, we were able to pick up an RP with the 24-240, the 35 f1.8 macro, and Canon was even giving away their Pixma Pro10 printer.

We’re taking advantage of the new equipment and taking the time to learn a lot more about photography and I’m committed to staying off auto. With a Disney trip and a road trip to the Canadian Rockies and Pacific NW, we hope to have better vacation photos than ever.

I’m loving the RP. Has a host of features the Rebel didn’t have. It’s inspired me to learn a lot more about photography. Video isn’t a priority. We’ll use it, but don’t have 4K TV and aren’t into post production. Just capture what happened for memories, not public consumption.
The RP even has me reading and responding in a photography forum for the first time ever!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0