FroKnowsPhoto: Hands-on with the Canon EOS RP

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
New to the forum. New to full frame. Have to say I am the target market for the RP. Maybe even a reach up for me. We’ve been Rebel users for a few years, but for efficiency and ease, spent too much time in “Auto” (guessing that’s a four letter word around here).

Kids are getting older and family travels are taking us to some amazing places. Our old gear was getting a bit beat up (all in one Sigma 18-300 3.5-6.3 Macro and Rebel body). With upcoming plans, it was time to upgrade.

After the holidays, for a bit over $2,000 all in, we were able to pick up an RP with the 24-240, the 35 f1.8 macro, and Canon was even giving away their Pixma Pro10 printer.

We’re taking advantage of the new equipment and taking the time to learn a lot more about photography and I’m committed to staying off auto. With a Disney trip and a road trip to the Canadian Rockies and Pacific NW, we hope to have better vacation photos than ever.

I’m loving the RP. Has a host of features the Rebel didn’t have. It’s inspired me to learn a lot more about photography. Video isn’t a priority. We’ll use it, but don’t have 4K TV and aren’t into post production. Just capture what happened for memories, not public consumption.
The RP even has me reading and responding in a photography forum for the first time ever!

Sounds like me 8 years ago and I came from a PowerShot, although I owned an F1 for many years and had the basic skills. It gets in your blood and is a wonderful hobby. I wholeheartedly endorse learning all the features including when to use auto, because auto is now more sophisticated. If you have the memory, shoot video in 4K because then you won't regret it when you eventually get more serious. And always pan slowly. For a month or two I shot only jpgs with the 6D. Shoot RAW, other wise you'll eventually be ticked off with yourself.

A number of big boys here nurtured me and everyone has been super nice and helpful but I have always remained humble; willing to take all the positive criticism I get, and I think that's key! ;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Sounds like me 8 years ago and I came from a PowerShot, although I owned an F1 for many years and had the basic skills. It gets in your blood and is a wonderful hobby. I wholeheartedly endorse learning all the features including when to use auto, because auto is now more sophisticated. If you have the memory, shoot video in 4K because then you won't regret it when you eventually get more serious. And always pan slowly. For a month or two I shot only jpgs with the 6D. Shoot RAW, other wise you'll eventually be ticked off with yourself.

A number of big boys here nurtured me and everyone has been super nice and helpful but I have always remained humble; willing to take all the positive criticism I get, and I think that's key! ;)

Jack

Thanks! Really wanting to shoot RAW. Working on some storage capacity and editing software options without breaking the bank first. Need to move our library off the Mac and onto something external to speed up our computer, but aren’t fans of using cloud based options.

Is Canon DPP4 a good free option if one doesn’t want to pay monthly for Lightroom, given the limited processing we do?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks! Really wanting to shoot RAW. Working on some storage capacity and editing software options without breaking the bank first. Need to move our library off the Mac and onto something external to speed up our computer, but aren’t fans of using cloud based options.

Is Canon DPP4 a good free option if one doesn’t want to pay monthly for Lightroom, given the limited processing we do?
DPP gives excellent results (adjusting exposure, lifting shadows, sharpening, limited NR, etc.) for wildlife and is often all I feel I need and it's easy to get up to speed with it. It's just not adequate if you love to really modify landscapes etc.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0