Full frame mirrorless market share: Canon already has 22% of the market in Japan

But, how do you intrepret the figures? A bunch of pre-orders all dropping in a few days do not equal market share, except for those few days. I expect the number to drop as potential Canon buyers get their camera. After a year, what will the figure look like? Canon also knows this, so expect to see more camera variations and more lenses pushed out as soon as they can get them ready.
bingo! that's not market share, it's sales volume for a short period of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm curious why Nikon didn't get nearly the bump that Canon got. From reviews to date, it seems that the Z7 is a great camera. Does Canon have that much greater of a following in Japan than Nikon?
i think it mainly has to do with availability to the consumer. this is just sales volume information over a very short period of time, not real market share. canon starting shipping units out in october, whereas nikon isnt shipping until november, if memory serves. regardless of exact dates, canon got thier units out a bit quicker hence the higher buy rate. expect november to be a huge month for nikon though.

Upvote 0
50% for Canon is conservative. I think 70% is more likely.
too high imo. the market is about to be saturated with offerings from at least 4 major manufacturers now, so market share will be tough to come by. i'd say 35-50% is pretty reasonable. dont forget, nikon has 2 models to canon's one, at the moment. not to mention sony's established lineup. plus whatever panasonic comes up with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The slow evolution to MILCs is inevitable simply because the manufacturing process is mostly automated, thus lowering the production cost.

While more and more production is automated, its pretty much the same for all recent Canon cameras.

Mirrorless cameras have fewer parts, and should cost less to make, but they sell for higher prices. Compare a 6D MK II to the EOS R, or the Canon SL2 to the EOS M6.

Mirrorless cameras are way overpriced, but still sell well.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sony better be afraid, be very afraid.
i'd be shocked if they hadnt been planning for this day years ago. it was only a matter of time before they weren't the only fish in the pond. notice all the new sony models coming out right before canikon announced their offerings? ;) yeah they'll lose market share, but they knew it wouldnt last forever.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Sony's chances to become a stronger #2 than Nikon ever was during last 10 years are fully intact. All they need to do is turn some attention to their APS-C mirrorfree lineup: top crop A7000 + updated and less expensive (!) A6### and A5### bodies to compete with Canon M50, M5/M6 Mk. II ... plus a few decent and affordable (!) E-lenses ... while Nikon still has nothing at all in mirrorfree APS-C ... and mirrorslappers dying fast left and right ... might give Sony around 35% total ILC market share. Canon 45%. Rest for Nikon and 7 dwarfs. I don't believe the Pana Leica L-mount thing will really take off.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Wow in a month nearly a quarter market share. That is impressive, guess the Japanese know something about great cameras that many here in the USA seem to be missing. Then to have 50% market share by this time next year sounds like some pretty impressive product in the pipeline including wow lenses, which we already have seen a sample of and the bodies will likely be as impressive including the amazing DPAF perhaps improved. Can't wait to see!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm curious why Nikon didn't get nearly the bump that Canon got. From reviews to date, it seems that the Z7 is a great camera. Does Canon have that much greater of a following in Japan than Nikon?

Perhaps the Canon is part of the EOS system and fully compatible with all the EF/EF-s products, actually improving the performance and features of current EF/EF-S lenses where the new Nikon is not nearly as backward compatible. Nikon Z products appear to really be good and there is a good chance that Sony will fall sharply to #3 because of the small limiting lens mount that is smaller than even the Canon M mount. Sony sensors are not nearly as good as fanboys make them out to be as DR and other factors are very close to what Canon now produces and fall behind in many cases to canon at higher ISO's. I look at the charts and Canon DR is better in nearly every instance at higher ISO's. Then add the incredible DPAF that no one else comes close to having and the color science of the camera and what is there not to like. Finally you have the widest range of lenses available and for me I can't wait to get my FD/FL and old R lenses on the new R cameras. What an impressive list of options with the new R system that just can't be touched by Sony with Nikon coming in second in the field. They have a great product and look to be serious this time about not clinging onto old obsolete technology and 30 years late embracing the future.
Exciting times are coming!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

vaotix

EOS R, 80D
Sep 4, 2018
Boston, MA
But, how do you intrepret the figures? A bunch of pre-orders all dropping in a few days do not equal market share, except for those few days. I expect the number to drop as potential Canon buyers get their camera. After a year, what will the figure look like? Canon also knows this, so expect to see more camera variations and more lenses pushed out as soon as they can get them ready.

Yeah. This article is super misleading. Canon doesn't have 22% of the market. The EOS R made up 22% of FF mirrorless camera sales for the month of October. The article here at Canon Rumors makes it seem like 22% of all FF cameras ever sold in Japan now belong to Canon after the EOS R launch.

Upvote 0
Looking at market share RIGHT NOW is about the most ignorant possible way to evaluate performance. It's absolutely stupid. But, it should be monitored because... Volume is the only thing that matters until market share doesn't change drastically from one week or month to the next. The Z6 is coming soon and shortly thereafter, Panasonic is dropping two cameras and it's anticipated that the A7SIII is coming and possibly something from Sigma. Once all that happens, and assuming Canon doesn't bring an upmarket mirrorless FF, then you can look at Market Share. Until that time, the market is growing (in volume and offerings) and changing rapidly.
Do yourselves a favor, monitor volume instead. If you want an additional data point, evaluate it in the context of the entire FF ILC market (ie, including DSLR)

Upvote 0
While more and more production is automated, its pretty much the same for all recent Canon cameras.

Mirrorless cameras have fewer parts, and should cost less to make, but they sell for higher prices. Compare a 6D MK II to the EOS R, or the Canon SL2 to the EOS M6.

Mirrorless cameras are way overpriced, but still sell well.

... but what if these parts are more expensive? I do not know the prices of high res OLED displays but if I look at the prices of the EVFs for EVF-less Canon M cameras I do not understand the relatively low price of the M50 ... or the M50 is the first "only-moderately-overpriced" EOS M series camera :)

Maybe the prices for the OLED micro displays came down within the last year so I would compare the SL2 more to the M50 which are similarly priced (at introduction) while the M50 has an enhanced sensor, up to 10 fps and e.g. the digital balance as benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Its Japan, no one cares about Japan except the Japanese lol. Hows it selling in the US? B&H , Adorama and everyone else couldn't keep the a7iii in stock up until a few weeks ago. The EOS R has been out for a month and it hasn't even hit low stock...

As I said before: That's a relative measure, not an absolute one. If, for example, Sony ships 100 A7IIIs to a store which has 120 (pre)orders and Canon ships 200 Rs for 130 (pre)orders, which company did better? Your metric implies that Sony would've done 'better', since they sold out and the Rs didn't.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Its Japan, no one cares about Japan except the Japanese lol. Hows it selling in the US? B&H , Adorama and everyone else couldn't keep the a7iii in stock up until a few weeks ago. The EOS R has been out for a month and it hasn't even hit low stock...
In Japan, MILCs outsell DSLRs whereas in the US, DSLRs outsell MILCs by 3:1. So who cares about Japan? Anyone who wants to make intelligent comments about MILC sales.

By your logic, the Nikon D850 must be the most popular camera ever… It was out of stock everywhere in the US for most of 2018.

If Sony and Nikon want to lose sales by inadequately supplying retailers, that's their problem. Canon is smarter.

Upvote 0