Full frame mirrorless market share: Canon already has 22% of the market in Japan

... but what if these parts are more expensive? I do not know the prices of high res OLED displays but if I look at the prices of the EVFs for EVF-less Canon M cameras I do not understand the relatively low price of the M50 ... or the M50 is the first "only-moderately-overpriced" EOS M series camera :)

Maybe the prices for the OLED micro displays came down within the last year so I would compare the SL2 more to the M50 which are similarly priced (at introduction) while the M50 has an enhanced sensor, up to 10 fps and e.g. the digital balance as benefits.

Eventually they will be cheaper, but right now there is a lot of cost associated with NRE and reducing power consumption. Reusing parts already designed (i.e. mirrorboxes) is cheaper because EVFs are still improving and there's a lot of NRE associated with that . Once EVFs get retina-like with a high frame rate with low power consumption, then the prices will really start falling.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Jap
In Japan, MILCs outsell DSLRs whereas in the US, DSLRs outsell MILCs by 3:1. So who cares about Japan? Anyone who wants to make intelligent comments about MILC sales.

By your logic, the Nikon D850 must be the most popular camera ever… It was out of stock everywhere in the US for most of 2018.

If Sony and Nikon want to lose sales by inadequately supplying retailers, that's their problem. Canon is smarter.

I believe that camera sales in Japan are a advanced look at what sales around the world will look like in the coming years, that seems to have been the case over the last 50+ years. Japanese photographers have a reputation for being very discerning about their photography equipment, and they take good care of it as well. For camera manufacturers, there is real competition to achieve the best sales in Japan and to have the best product. In the past, the Japanese have also led the way in adoption of small products. I think that's changing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jap

I believe that camera sales in Japan are a advanced look at what sales around the world will look like in the coming years, that seems to have been the case over the last 50+ years. Japanese photographers have a reputation for being very discerning about their photography equipment, and they take good care of it as well. For camera manufacturers, there is real competition to achieve the best sales in Japan and to have the best product. In the past, the Japanese have also led the way in adoption of small products. I think that's changing.

While I generally agree with respect to photography equipment, there are some cultural and practical differences (like available storage spaces) in the Japanese and North American markets, though. I'm amazed at how many people I've met who, when asked why they bought a particular DSLR, even a $300 one from Costco or Best Buy, tell me simply, "I wanted something that looks like a real camera".

Upvote 0
But, how do you intrepret the figures? A bunch of pre-orders all dropping in a few days do not equal market share, except for those few days. I expect the number to drop as potential Canon buyers get their camera. After a year, what will the figure look like? Canon also knows this, so expect to see more camera variations and more lenses pushed out as soon as they can get them ready.
Further more, is that 22% market share from 5D4/6D2 volume, or is it from Sony FF volume. That is a big question.

Upvote 0
Eventually they will be cheaper, but right now there is a lot of cost associated with NRE and reducing power consumption. Reusing parts already designed (i.e. mirrorboxes) is cheaper because EVFs are still improving and there's a lot of NRE associated with that . Once EVFs get retina-like with a high frame rate with low power consumption, then the prices will really start falling.

Good point - I think OLED displays are good at the moment but they are no well proven standard tech if it comes to "retina-like" resolution and color fidelity. If they have invested a lot of NRE (now I now what it stands for :) ) production quality will be very high at low cost and low variance of the products and your prognosis comes true: "Very cheap" mirrorless cameras.

Actually I know the price of one OLED display of 1.5 inch diagonale with a fat amount of 128 x 128 pixels: Its 25 EUR/$, colors are good for a thermal imager I am building but maybe only mediocre for photographic applications. It starts with 64000 colors only by the used controler chip. So I expect a 1024 x 768 pixel OLED with photographic color quality like that of the M50 is more like 50-90 EUR/$ (for Canon's purchase dept.) - and we pay 70 ... 130 EUR/$ for it if its inside the camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Further more, is that 22% market share from 5D4/6D2 volume, or is it from Sony FF volume. That is a big question.

This is MIRRORLESS FF sales. It has nothing to do with 5D4 or 6D2. In October 2018 in Japan, of all of the FF mirrorless cameras sold, Sony sold 67%, Canon 22.1% and Nikon 10.4%. All in all, I would say Sony would be quite happy that they still sold 3 times as many FF cameras as Canon in a month where Canon debuted their brand new camera.

Upvote 0
Its Japan, no one cares about Japan except the Japanese lol. Hows it selling in the US? B&H , Adorama and everyone else couldn't keep the a7iii in stock up until a few weeks ago. The EOS R has been out for a month and it hasn't even hit low stock...

And only Americans think America is all that matters :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is MIRRORLESS FF sales. It has nothing to do with 5D4 or 6D2. In October 2018 in Japan, of all of the FF mirrorless cameras sold, Sony sold 67%, Canon 22.1% and Nikon 10.4%. All in all, I would say Sony would be quite happy that they still sold 3 times as many FF cameras as Canon in a month where Canon debuted their brand new camera.
Like you a quick read is easily misinterpreted.
What was meant is what cameras were not purchased by Canon R purchasers? Was it Canon 5/6 or Sony that lost sales?

Upvote 0
The point is, if SONY sales number is stable, and EOSR+5D/6D = 5D/6D before EOSR released, then Canon is not taking market share from SONY.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The point is, if SONY sales number is stable, and EOSR+5D/6D = 5D/6D before EOSR released, then Canon is not taking market share from SONY.
You seem to have missed the point. FF MILC market share. Prior to the EOS R and Nikon Z, Sony effectively had 100% of it. Now, they have less.

You might wish to discuss FF ILC market share (i.e. FF DSLR + FF MILC), but the way BCN reports data, that cannot be determined so any statement you may make about Japan FF ILC market share is pure speculation. But Sony's loss of domestic FF MILC market share to Canon and Nikon is a fact.

Upvote 0