Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It may have been lost during the announcement excitement, but Canon will be adding some functionality to the Canon EOS R camera with a firmware update. Expect to see the firmware update released within a couple of months after shipping begins in October.
What’s coming in the firmware?

Eye detect AF in continuous shooting. The EOS R launches with the ability to do this in one shot.
Additional touch bar functionality added.
Continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. The EOS R only allows this feature in single shot at launch.
A “few tweaks” to video functionality. The 4K crop will not be changed, nor will the maximum frame rate in 4K.
Bug fixes

As we learn more about the coming firmware update(s), we’ll let you know. We expect to see a lot of functionality added to the camera over the next year as we have new ergonomics at play with the control ring and the touch bar.

Continue reading...

Looks like they were anxious to get this camera into the market, even before all the software was finished. Knowing what else is coming soon may help with a buy decision.
You're close.

The real reason was mass production. Unlike Nikon, which will struggle to fulfill orders for its Z-series cameras, especially at only 20k/month, Canon built a huge backlog of EOS Rs so it could meet demand.

That meant the firmware team had plenty of time to write new code while crates of cameras were stockpiled in warehouses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Looks more like they will open the crippled firmware a bit because the specs of the camera body are at the south end...

That makes exactly zero sense if you know anything about engineering OR business. This is why it’s difficult to take seriously people crying about Canon crippling things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Looks more like they will open the crippled firmware a bit because the specs of the camera body are at the south end...

No offence, but what a bunch of BS. Just another troll that can't think of anything more original to say than "crippled". If you don't lke the specs go buy your Sony. I think it is rather obvious that they did not want to wait any longer with the release of the camera with Nikon announcing their FF mirrorless. So, yes, it may not have been quite ready. Nothing crippled at all about this camera. It may not have all the features you want, but that is YOUR problem, not Canon's.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
So it's a beta series for consumer testing? Better wait for extensive test results - and curious what will be offered from Panasonic.
Funny how when Fujifilm do this, the internet says it shows how they are “listening to their customers” and striving to “continuously improve their products”. When Canon do it they are “beta testing on paying customers” and “deliberately crippling their products”, then “changing their minds” after a customer backlash...

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0
Yup, I agree. This may also be because a Canon shooters are a bit of a different demographic than those of Fuji. But I have to say, only good can come from following Fuji’s example of continually adding functionality and improving the software for their cameras. iPhones receive updates every year. Sometimes they are big feature additions that better leverage the hardware you already purchased while at other times, the new firmware allows for better energy management or the battery. Why shouldn’t Canon be held to the same standard - if the existing hardware can be leveraged in a more effective manner via new software, do that! This helps keep asking prices higher, too. A win win situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This seems like an odd move from Canon to me. How quickly has Canon offered firmware updates following a release previously? This seems more rushing a product to market than crippling - Canon must have been building these cameras for a while to be ready to ship next month, so they must be manufactured with an earlier firmware. I really doubt Canon could see people complain about a few issues and then decide to change gears in less than a week and have firmware released very quickly after - that sort of work takes time.

I am wondering if the rumours of 2 FF mirrorless cameras were true and the second one is being held because they don't want reviews of it with unfinished firmware. I have heard exactly 0 reviewers mention that the firmware updates are coming quickly following launch, so impressions are already being released, some of which targeting issues this firmware update will resolve.

My only point here is that this seems out of character for Canon - typically everything is intended to work 100% out of the box, and this is a step away from that. Unsure what that means in the grander scheme of things.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I recall reading about a near-future firmware update shipping soon after the EOS R shipped. The likely explanation for this 'unusual' behavior is the firmware was not ready when the cameras entered production. It's likely an exception that proves the norm.

It would be great if Canon were to follow Fuji's lead by adding or improving functionality after a product ships. But that is rare for Canon.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
You're close.

The real reason was mass production. Unlike Nikon, which will struggle to fulfill orders for its Z-series cameras, especially at only 20k/month, Canon built a huge backlog of EOS Rs so it could meet demand.

That meant the firmware team had plenty of time to write new code while crates of cameras were stockpiled in warehouses.

Exactly. Just like when you buy a new computer model off the shelf, there is often already a software update needed because time has elapsed since it shipped, and software has advanced. Canon had the hardware ready to ship in volume and was continuing to work on the firmware including some new features that weren’t quite fully baked. No need to hold up on delivering the hardware.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.