Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they were anxious to get this camera into the market, even before all the software was finished. Knowing what else is coming soon may help with a buy decision.

The camera is nothing but a repackaged 5d4 at a lower price point. The 5d4's aren't selling so maybe putting the sensor in a smaller cheaper enclosure will. Video is still a joke , though Canon have relented on the codec.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
No offence, but what a bunch of BS. Just another troll that can't think of anything more original to say than "crippled". If you don't lke the specs go buy your Sony. I think it is rather obvious that they did not want to wait any longer with the release of the camera with Nikon announcing their FF mirrorless. So, yes, it may not have been quite ready. Nothing crippled at all about this camera. It may not have all the features you want, but that is YOUR problem, not Canon's.

Yet a bunch of people without direct code access have made many missing features work on lower end canons.. the magic lantern crew are amazing at reverse engineering things left out.

<edit> was addressing canon purposefully crippling features.. they have a history of it.. something as trivial as an intervalometer was missing for years.. its a useful feature, easyish to code, but they insist on selling expensive hardware to deal with it. Not sure if they will here, but noticed it has a socket for one and in the existing code it seems to be missing (yet avail on 80D!).. I'm still interested, but waiting for updated code and reviews before either plopping the funds or not. Its... close, but is it close enough? for what I will put my money towards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Not sure why this is news as every electronic manufacturer does this. My Ronin-S is a month away from another firmware update that will add on additional cameras. Canon bodies regularly get updates that change and add features.

In software development you release the most stable version of firmware at launch while beta testing the next version. If real world usage data comes back positive and your beta testers are satisfied, you release the update.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

Wow. Looks more and more like they rushed to market what was essentially an unfinished camera in order to upstage Nikon and their Z series...which may have caught them a bit off guard(?)

Hopefully there are no additional "fatal flaws" which could be uncovered by first-adopters...

That said, I wonder if this indicates that the replacement cycle for this camera may be longer than a year or two - sounds like they could keep adding features, at least as much as the processor can handle. (Note that I'm talking about replacement of the R, not the addition of additional RF-mount bodies above or below it in the market)

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
This is more exciting for me because this points to a higher model (1DX or 5DS/R version of the EOS R) coming not too long after this release. That camera should be priced in the upper 3-4k. I mean look at the lenses that are coming out for the RF mount. They definitely definitely won't be stopping here. Did they hold back on this model? Yes, I think so but it's really not a bad camera at all. In fact, even just on specs sheet, it holds its own + you have an amazing set of lenses. I won't even talk about the software/functionality of the Sonys... yes, given time, I could probably get used to it. Sony lenses are expensive and limited. The 24-70mm f2.8 gm is $2200 - and it doesn't have any sort of image stabilization. Canon's EF 24-70mm 2.8 is going for ~1600 currently. Sony's 70-200mm f2.8 gm oss is ~2600, about 500-600 over the brand new canon 70-200mm III. They have no native 50mm f1.2 or a 28-70 f2. Canon is offering fast/no compromise lens mount adapters. Plus I'm curious as to how useful the custom function on the RF lenses will be used in real-life scenarios. This is going to be fun.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Is it? So huge only Fuji have cottoned on?

obviously not for you, but it is for people who do video. I can imagine a use-case scenario where you want to see the overall layout, but are manually focusing and want to ensure you're focused. I seem to recall Magic Lantern code could do this feature.. unfortunately because they're reverse engineering with next to no info it takes a long time to get each new camera supported.

I find it funny how many features people are wanting are knocked down as being 'niche'.. yet digital cameras as a whole were niche and people wondered why anyone would want them 25yrs ago (I used to take a lot of images on an old epson with a floppy in it), then later with first SLRs etc. People thought digital itself was 'niche' and why any company would do it.. yet here we are. Same with many new features like live view (composing, digital zom for low light etc).. tilty screens (I had so many people bug me why I wanted it, when my canon G6 allowed me to do new things with it). They were all saying it breaks easy blah blah.. yet here we are. New tools open new opportunities. Some don't want/need, some use it badly... some find really good useful things to do with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So it's a beta series for consumer testing? Better wait for extensive test results - and curious what will be offered from Panasonic.

That's the entire Sony A7 series, including beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 :D

Firmware patches that add actual features before launch is pretty cool. Here's to dreaming that Canon will actually have firmware patches that add features after launch, too!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's the entire Sony A7 series, including beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 :D

Firmware patches that add actual features before launch is pretty cool. Here's to dreaming that Canon will actually have firmware patches that add features after launch, too!
It’s true. As each new Sony generation appears, it is described as being what the previous model should have been. But, Sony has now got a lot right, paid for by the adopters of previous models who have low value used early versions on their hands. I much prefer the Canon/Olympus approach of trying to get it fight first and then sticking with models until significant enhancements are made.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I think it is a good thing that Canon is finally starting to add features via firmware release. Yes, there were some very rare additions of functionality in the past but mostly only (mostly minor) bugfixes were made. This way we can hope to get even more features in the future. They just had to agree on a certain set of features for the release. Otherwise they'd have to postpone the release almost indefinitely.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
obviously not for you, but it is for people who do video. I can imagine a use-case scenario where you want to see the overall layout, but are manually focusing and want to ensure you're focused. I seem to recall Magic Lantern code could do this feature.. unfortunately because they're reverse engineering with next to no info it takes a long time to get each new camera supported.

I did not say video users would not find it useful, nor did I say I could not see the use of it (it is present in Oly and Pana stills functionality for MF and I have used it) - I asked if it was 'huge' because that to me suggest many people clamouring for it and Canon, Nikon and Sony all missing the point.

Upvote 0
obviously not for you, but it is for people who do video. I can imagine a use-case scenario where you want to see the overall layout, but are manually focusing and want to ensure you're focused.
Why magnification is needed? Well for people who actually do video, I can imagine it is needed when there is low contrast at the point of interest. True. This is where AF may oscillate and many cameras, any brand you name it, will struggle, so no other choice than switching to manual and enlarge the scene to see perhaps via an external monitor. Is this a problem with R or any DPAF enabled camera? No, use DPAF, specially with its improved AF ability in low light, it can snap to the focus point and then switch to manual, if you need it to stay that way. Do you still need magnification?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Why magnification is needed? Well for people who actually do video, I can imagine it is needed when there is low contrast at the point of interest. True. This is where AF may oscillate and many cameras, any brand you name it, will struggle, so no other choice than switching to manual and enlarge the scene to see perhaps via an external monitor. Is this a problem with R (or any DPAF enabled camera? No, use DPAF, specially with its improved AF ability in low light, it can snap to the focus point and then switch to manual, if you need it to stay that way. Do you still need magnification?

I am not a heavy video user (just from time to time for friends) so I won't have the professional angle on it, but external monitor may not always be possible. Also I believe the original mentioned maybe through the OVF? I know there are some places I've been asked to video that it was dark and very quiet.. I thankfully had an addon which covered live view, but even then had to use tape to cover the blinky red light.. it was disruptive! (an experimental dance troupe).. I wish I'd been able to focus better, but it wasn't an option due to the disruptive nature. its probably not for all cases, but I can see a use :)

<edit> also forgot filming some jazz stuff.. dark, and you want fussy... people in jazz bars are about the experience and will let you know if you're disrupting them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.