Fundraiser: Australian Fire Relief Charity Shirt

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Jared Polin AKA FroKnowsPhoto is doing a good thing and has created an “I SHOOT RAW” t-shirt to raise funds for the relief efforts in Australia.
From Jared:
By now everyone knows what’s going on in Australia. There’s been massive devastation and up to a billion animals have perished. Matt Granger reached out to me about creating a shirt to raise funds for charity and this is the design I came up with.
All profits from sales of the shirts will go directly to the “Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors”, that’s Steve Irwins Zoo. Feel free to order as many shirts as you would like as all the profits go to a great cause.
Check out the fundraiser
Please Note: Unfortunately due to a trademark issue with G Star RAW, ‘I SHOOT RAW’ shirts cannot be shipped to the EU and various other countries in that region.

Continue reading...

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Couldn't people just donate the cash to a relief organization? That way all the money, not just the profits, goes to relief. Good on Fro, but once the profits get filtered through the relief organizations, what is really left? Symbolism above substance? Self promotion? It seems donations directly to the Australian Red Cross or regional fire depts. would do more. How about just a Fro video asking for donations to a relief org. instead of selling merchandise in which there may be zero profit?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Couldn't people just donate the cash to a relief organization? That way all the money, not just the profits, goes to relief. Good on Fro, but once the profits get filtered through the relief organizations, what is really left? Symbolism above substance? Self promotion? It seems donations directly to the Australian Red Cross or regional fire depts. would do more. How about just a Fro video asking for donations to a relief org. instead of selling merchandise in which there may be zero profit?
If you ask people to donate $5 it is a struggle, if you ask them to buy a charity shirt for $25 where $5 (for example) ends up with the charity it is a different sell to a different market, ultimately the charity ends up with $10 (for example) rather than $5. The people who will buy a charity shirt aren't going to send $25 to the charity (or already have). merchandise is a very good profit generator for these 'influencers', I'm sure they are making more than 20%, I'd estimate at least 50% so $12-15 going to charity.

Besides, what's the choice for people who want a shirt, just buy a regular one where nothing goes to charity?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
If you ask people to donate $5 it is a struggle, if you ask them to buy a charity shirt for $25 where $5 (for example) ends up with the charity it is a different sell to a different market, ultimately the charity ends up with $10 (for example) rather than $5. The people who will buy a charity shirt aren't going to send $25 to the charity (or already have). merchandise is a very good profit generator for these 'influencers', I'm sure they are making more than 20%, I'd estimate at least 50% so $12-15 going to charity.

Besides, what's the choice for people who want a shirt, just buy a regular one where nothing goes to charity?

Once we ignore complaints that lead to dead ends, answers reveal themselves.

1. I can donate cash to the zoo or other, and buy whatever shirt I want.

2. If I buy Fro's charity shirt, the zoo gets money, I get a shirt to wear, and more people get extra employment making them.

3. The extra work even means a few of the shirt workers have more cash to donate to the zoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The intentions are very worthy and commendable but the actions may actually make things worse. The Australian fires have an important component from global warming. One of the targets for lowering global warming is the fashion industry, which is responsible for about 5% of human made greenhouse gas emissions, about the same as aircraft emissions (and the plastics in materials can end up causing microfibres that are killing wild life). Think of what is required to make a T-shirt, where it may be made and transported from, the energy required, and the materials used, which may harm the environment. So, buying a Tee-shirt may end up fuelling the Australian fires. Electronic transfer of cash is the most environmentally friendly way of donating.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The intentions are very worthy and commendable but the actions may actually make things worse. The Australian fires have an important component from global warming. One of the targets for lowering global warming is the fashion industry, which is responsible for about 5% of human made greenhouse gas emissions, about the same as aircraft emissions (and the plastics in materials can end up causing microfibres that are killing wild life). Think of what is required to make a T-shirt, where it may be made and transported from, the energy required, and the materials used, which may harm the environment. So, buying a Tee-shirt may end up fuelling the Australian fires. Electronic transfer of cash is the most environmentally friendly way of donating.
So your saying we should stop selfishly wearing clothes.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The women in Bangladesh (or the like) that gets a pittance for every shirt made in sweatshop where they could die when it gets on fire too?
Somehow I don't think many of the shirts are sold. Good effort, I guess, but an appeal to do a straight donation would have done just as much or more. IMO.

Upvote 0
Think of what is required to make a T-shirt, where it may be made and transported from, the energy required, and the materials used, which may harm the environment.

If I need a shirt, I need a shirt. Any shirt I need has to be made anyway, so it's a nothing burger if my next shirt just happens to be a special design for special purpose.

Yes .. feel free to think

Last edited:
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Came in here to post something positive about this whole thing. Made the mistake of reading the existing posts. Good grief. Today's society of anonymous responders can make literally any idea or gesture into something negative. So I guess I will just get my shirt when it comes, wear it happily, and forget trying to get any good vibes from this thread. Sigh.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Came in here to post something positive about this whole thing. Made the mistake of reading the existing posts. Good grief. Today's society of anonymous responders can make literally any idea or gesture into something negative. So I guess I will just get my shirt when it comes, wear it happily, and forget trying to get any good vibes from this thread. Sigh.
Do you think that describing a donation as worthy and commendable but do it in an environmentally friendly way is negative? If that gives you bad vibes, then sorry. The world is burning up, and Australia is a warning example. Giving to charity is positive. Reflecting on how we personally are contributing to the problem of climate change and what we can do to help is positive. Fortunately, Greta Thunberg is having a positive effect, although her message is negative to too many.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It comes down to either donate to what ever cause you want and or buy the shirt to donate. Stop the debate. At least Jared is actually trying to help in his own way. I bet a very small amount of you have even donated.
I bought a couple, I like the shirts and wear them so I'd rather some of the money went to the charity. I didn't get a single PM about shipping to the EU.

This thread is not a good example of the forum in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It's alright dsut4392, we Australians, surrounded and impacted as we are by fires, heat and drought, are so dumb as to need to be told what's going on around us by people from wet places on the other side of the world.
Up here in Canada, part of the country is having flood, rain, and snow problems, but another part of the country has been having fire problems, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I’d pick snow and floods over fires any day of the year.

We Canadians were grateful for the Aussies that came up here to fight the Fort McMurray fires, and we have sent a few crews down to your fires. Our hearts feel for you.

Upvote 0