Futureshop VIP sale Thursday, Aug 11th.

Mar 25, 2011
I hope they are doing less bait and switch than they were when I lived in North York for 2.5 years. When I moved back to the USA about 1990, they opened up a large number of US stores and were always in trouble with their bait and switch tactics. They finally gave up competing and closed all their stores. Ten years later, so has most of the competition (Comp USA and Circuit city). Best Buy has it all to themselves now, so there are no bargains any more.

Upvote 0
Best Buy now owns Future Shop. Curiously, they now often build stores side by side with BB targeting Joe Consumer and FS targeting the technophiles. I've spent a small fortune at FS since the late '80s and have never seen bait and switch. If they advertise a product that may not be in stock they always tag the ad with "limited quantites per store". But the only time this seems to be used is Boxing Day.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
wellfedCanuck said:
Best Buy now owns Future Shop. Curiously, they now often build stores side by side with BB targeting Joe Consumer and FS targeting the technophiles. I've spent a small fortune at FS since the late '80s and have never seen bait and switch. If they advertise a product that may not be in stock they always tag the ad with "limited quantites per store". But the only time this seems to be used is Boxing Day.

Agreed. I've never had a problem with FutureShop. Even the much maligned extended warranty program treated me well a number of years ago on a laptop that died. It took a little over a week but they got working (claimed to have replaced components but who knows and it's still working and running XP fine despite being 7 years old (I use it as a backup/test machine). I don't buy the extended warranty on laptops anymore... they're more reliable than they used to be and the replacement cost is low enough to just buy a new one in the unlikely event something goes wrong.

Upvote 0