G1 X II vs M3 vs MFT

photon

All of us are smarter than one of us.
Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

I have a 5D3 and it leaves me wanting nothing when it comes to getting the shot.

However, when I am not getting the shot, it leaves me wanting a table to set it on. I love capturing my life, but sometimes with that much camera it hinders the lifing part. Particulary at music festivals in the deserts and mountains.

I want something with nicer quality images than I am getting from not taking my camera out...easy right?

Amazon still shows the G7X mkII as to be released on 3/26 and it still doesn't show it's in stock. I can't find any reviews, and everything is just basic press release stuff. All the comparisons of the original against the Sony favor the Sony. For me, there is nothing like the Canon UI. To have a camera like the 5D3 and be able to adjust it one handed and with barley a glance, sometimes it's important not to have to think at these events :)

When ever I use a friends A7r it feels like the equivalant of needing to use 3 extra clicks that feel randomly placed to do the same things.

I have never touched either the G7X or RX100. I am pretty sure I am fine without the EVF, it really comes down to:
I want a good UI
Good image quality (I feel both are gonna be negligible)
Accurate first and decent speed second auto focus

I was still eyeing the G5x thinking maybe I might actually miss the EVF, and while the Digic 7 is claiming better low light processing, I also assume this means for jpgs not RAW. However, if the Digic 7 is also improving AF speed then I want it.

What are anyone's thoughts on this? Has anyone's G7 X mkII shown up yet?

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Re: G7 X II vs RX100 IV

Amazon UK is showing the G7X II as not released until May 1st.

Amazon US says May 26th http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-G7-Mark-Black/dp/B01BV14OXA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459359523&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+g7x+mark+ii

So any reviews are still some way off.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=29122.0
The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II digital camera is currently scheduled to be available in May 2016

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I a G1X MK II. It has a much larger sensor, and has reasonably fast AF. The 5X Optical zoom is good too.

It has a tunnel viewfinder which is barely OK, but no good for extreme close shots. Still, It is better than a evf for moving subjects where a evf struggles with motion.

Its not a pocket camera, the big sensor means the lens is larger. It fits in my coat pocket fine, but not in a shirt pocket or jeans pocket.

I use it up to ISO 3200 with fairly reasonable results.

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I a G1X MK II. ...

Its not a pocket camera, the big sensor means the lens is larger. It fits in my coat pocket fine, but not in a shirt pocket or jeans pocket.

I suppose pocketable isn't a necessity, I could wear it around my neck because its so light. The 5D with 24-70 is just to much to hang from the neck for extended periods especially dancing. However, when I look at that size and think about just having it out, I wonder if the A6300 or M3 would be the way to go. Then I see how big they are and at that point look over at the 5D and think just throw the pancake on it. This overthinking process repeats lol. I am gonna drive over to Samy's and see them side by side.

Upvote 0

Sorry to throw a couple of spanners in the works but have you considered the new Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge? The camera is supposed to be very impressive, but I have yet to take a look.

The RX100 Mark IV is widely regarded as the best pocketable camera on the market right now. However, you may want to compare it to the new Nikon DL-series rather than the G7.

What are the pictures going to be used for?

Next week I am going to be looking at the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with a view to it replacing my Note 3. The S7's low light performance and DPAF look quite incredible in the recent videos which have come online. Might be an idea.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Just to add to my previous post. The reason I recommend looking at the Samsung S7 is that there are times we just do not have a camera with us, but we nearly always have a phone.

One example of this was yesterday. A squirrel was in one of my mango trees hanging upside down by one leg from a telephone wire while eating a ripe mango. I could not believe it, as I had been wondering how anything other than a bird was eating that particular mango.

I only had my phone on me at the time, and the Note 3 was too slow to open etc. and I did not have time to rush inside to get the 1DX. The S7 would have got the shot.

I guess, the question is, for me at least, if I had a RX100 Mark IV, Nikon DL or Canon G7, would I have had it on me at the time or would I still have only been carrying my phone...?

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Canon Rumors said:
I have an RX100 III and will be replacing it with a G7 X II, I just can't deal with Sony's ergonomics and menus.

That was my experience with the A7, it felt awful to use and when I would figure out how to do what I wanted it was "really? there?"

I am basically looking at $700 for G7x II vs $730 for M3 & 22mm F2 - IQ vs Flexibility or $150 for 40mm on the 5D

Thanks for all the input. As for the Galaxy, I am getting the Edge, but I am not going to entertain the low light sacrifice. F1.7 ya, but on what size sensor?

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

expatinasia said:
Just to add to my previous post. The reason I recommend looking at the Samsung S7 is that there are times we just do not have a camera with us, but we nearly always have a phone.

One example of this was yesterday. A squirrel was in one of my mango trees hanging upside down by one leg from a telephone wire while eating a ripe mango. I could not believe it, as I had been wondering how anything other than a bird was eating that particular mango.

I only had my phone on me at the time, and the Note 3 was too slow to open etc. and I did not have time to rush inside to get the 1DX. The S7 would have got the shot.

I guess, the question is, for me at least, if I had a RX100 Mark IV, Nikon DL or Canon G7, would I have had it on me at the time or would I still have only been carrying my phone...?

That makes perfect sense.

For me it's literally the opposite. At festivals or dessert parties, I intentionally power off my phone and leave it off my body. I don't want any contact outside the people I'm with. I take a camera specifically to capture all we may see and do.

Upvote 0

photon said:
expatinasia said:

For me it's literally the opposite. At festivals or dessert parties, I intentionally power off my phone and leave it off my body. I don't want any contact outside the people I'm with. I take a camera specifically to capture all we may see and do.

I fully understand. It sounds like the images you take will be used for personal use and to share with friends etc., which is great. When you do get your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which you could always put in airplane mode at parties so nobody can contact you, I would love you to do a comparison test if you do not mind between the S7 Edge pictures and whatever small camera you decide to buy. I really would like to see how they compare.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

Have you looked at the micro four-thirds (MFT)? One body plus three lenses is barely bigger than the 7D body by itself and image quality is easily as good as my old 7D. At the time the E-M5 was released there were a few sites showing that the dynamic range and image quality was as good as the Canon 5D2.

I had a Canon 7D but although I am out for 1 and a half hours a day with the dogs, or away on business, the size meant I was not taking it out as much as I would have liked. So I went for a Panasonic GX1 as a compact alternative. I had no problem adapting from Canon menus to Panasonic - even barely reading the manual within half a day I was taking shots and making adjustments on the fly without thinking too hard or even taking my eye from the (detachable) viewfinder. Now I have the 7D2 and the Panasonic GX7 and am happy using either.
I also have the Olympus Em-5 and the good part is the on-my-God standard of image stabilisation though the negative is the god awful menus.
There is also the DSLR-styled Panasonic G series and the excellent G6 is going for ridiculously low money if you can find it new.

The beauty of the MFTs is that you can get a remarkably compact system but expand it as the need takes you.

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

expatinasia said:
photon said:
expatinasia said:

I fully understand. It sounds like the images you take will be used for personal use and to share with friends etc., which is great. When you do get your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which you could always put in airplane mode at parties so nobody can contact you, I would love you to do a comparison test if you do not mind between the S7 Edge pictures and whatever small camera you decide to buy. I really would like to see how they compare.

I absolutely will do this. I will do some side by sides under different conditions as well. I'm curious to test it's PD AF and also see how fast it starts losing detail as it's iso climes.

Right now, the front runner is picking up the 40mm and putting on the 5D and having it on my neck. I am going to do that for this weekends event and if it still feels like too much gear on me, I will go with the M3 and the 22mm. Honestly, I would get the A6300 in a heartbeat...if there was a single lens I wanted to use on it. From everything I have seen on that actual camera it is amazing, but man, when the EOS-M line actual has more lenses I want, that's just funny. Not that Sony doesn't have some nice options, just not compact or affordable.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

photon said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I a G1X MK II. ...

I suppose pocketable isn't a necessity, I could wear it around my neck because its so light. The 5D with 24-70 is just to much to hang from the neck for extended periods especially dancing. However, when I look at that size and think about just having it out, I wonder if the A6300 or M3 would be the way to go. Then I see how big they are and at that point look over at the 5D and think just throw the pancake on it. This overthinking process repeats lol. I am gonna drive over to Samy's and see them side by side.

Don't under estimate the G1x / G1xII, or fall for the "old sensor tech" crap. They can produce superb results. I'm very impressed with mine, given what it is. I don't like the handling one bit, a sacrifice that has to be made given that it's much much smaller than a 100D with equivalent lens.

If you go on the Lens Rental site and search 'G1x review' Roger confirms that the camera is capable of sharp results. It is basically on a level with a 7D and 17-55 f/2.8 af-s lens.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its a bit difficult to find tempered glass screen protectors for the G1X Mark II, I ended up buying three of them from Amazon. The plastic one I bought first was all that was available and is awful. The camera has the bonded screen just like the 5D MK III, so its a expensive replacement if you scratch it.

So. I'll be happy to share what I have (one or two) of them with someone for postage plus my cost.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

photon said:
Canon Rumors said:
I have an RX100 III and will be replacing it with a G7 X II, I just can't deal with Sony's ergonomics and menus.

That was my experience with the A7, it felt awful to use and when I would figure out how to do what I wanted it was "really? there?"

I am basically looking at $700 for G7x II vs $730 for M3 & 22mm F2 - IQ vs Flexibility or $150 for 40mm on the 5D

Thanks for all the input. As for the Galaxy, I am getting the Edge, but I am not going to entertain the low light sacrifice. F1.7 ya, but on what size sensor?

If you decide on the M3, I suggest you get it from B&H for $480. Click the "Bundle" button and add the EVF for less than $3.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180765-REG/canon_9694b001_eos_m3_mirrorless_digital.html/SUB/cpw

The EF-M 22 f/2 can be had gray market off of ebay for around $125:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Canon-EOS-M-EF-M-22mm-F-2-STM-Prime-Wide-Angle-Pancake-Lens/111104163314?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35934%26meid%3Dac859c2514ee4408a4c84c88e85c7d05%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252334938905&rt=nc

The kit will cost you slightly more than $600.

Upvote 0

photon

Jul 16, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I picked up the 40mm. While I was there I handled the M3 a bit. I decided that the 5D3&40mm is small enough that it doesn't hinder me much and while the M3 was smaller, the it wasn't enough smaller to change my usage.

I really can't believe the IQ coming out of that pancake for it's size/price.

Upvote 0