G15 Coming Soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gman

powershot2012 said:
Yeah; haven't heard of that one before.

Now the question is when is the official announcement?

akiskev said:
Gman said:
Yup 13 is bad luck in the West and 14 bad luck in China.
14 bad luck in China? Maybe you mean 4?

Well I know that 4 and 9 are unlucky in Japan so maybe the person I quoted got it wrong?

Upvote 0
Maybe the case, but from what we have seen so far, neither the G15 or S110 look exciting as the RX100.

Why isn't Canon offering more with a larger sensor? Though that is only part of it. If they haven't corrected the performance seen recently in the G1X, S100, and G12, then no spec will make up for it.

Gman said:
powershot2012 said:
Yeah; haven't heard of that one before.

Now the question is when is the official announcement?

akiskev said:
Gman said:
Yup 13 is bad luck in the West and 14 bad luck in China.
14 bad luck in China? Maybe you mean 4?

Well I know that 4 and 9 are unlucky in Japan so maybe the person I quoted got it wrong?

Upvote 0
G

Gman

powershot2012 said:
Maybe the case, but from what we have seen so far, neither the G15 or S110 look exciting as the RX100.

Why isn't Canon offering more with a larger sensor? Though that is only part of it. If they haven't corrected the performance seen recently in the G1X, S100, and G12, then no spec will make up for it.

It all depends what you are looking for in a camera, so far the specs we have seen for the G15 have only been rumours, nothing official. We will only know tomorrow for certain what the camera will actually look like and what the specs will really be. Then it will be a matter of putting it to the test before making any comments on the relative merits of one against the other. We assume there will be an official announcement tomorrow because it will be the first day of Photokina but nothing is certain 'until the fat lady sings'! :)

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Gman said:
powershot2012 said:

It all depends what you are looking for in a camera, so far the specs we have seen so far for the G15 have only been rumours, nothing concrete from the horses mouth as it were. We will only know tomorrow for certain what the camera will actually look like and what the specs will really be. Then it will be a matter of putting it to the test before making any comments on the relative merits of one against the other. We assume there will be an official announcement tomorrow because it will be the first day of Photokina but nothing is certain 'until the fat lady sings'! :)

Unless Canon plans to mess up with its line-up, I doubt the G15 will be better than the G1X.

And the RX100 - all in all - is a more attactive camera than the G1X imho. The Sony is smaller, more classy, features an excellent lens, and there's a lot more tech in it. Canon's biggest advantage - sensor size - is effectively countered by RX100's brighter lens.

Considering that the RX100 is also cheaper... easy win for Sony, as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Considering that the RX100 is also cheaper... easy win for Sony, as far as I am concerned.
but we are not comparing the G1X with anything here, we were discussing the G15 rumours. The G1X was an anomaly the X indicating it was an eXperiment. Now there's an EOS M the G1X has no place between the G15 (whatever it might eventually turn out to be) and the EOS M.

Sure the RX100 gets rave reviews but it has a short zoom and no vari angle screen apart from being pricey for what it is. If the new G15 doesn't have a vari-angled screen the Nikon P7700 might be a better bet once it's sensor and lens have been tested.

One more day of nail biting.

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Gman said:
but we are not comparing the G1X with anything here, we were discussing the G15 rumours. The G1X was an anomaly the X indicating it was an eXperiment. Now there's an EOS M the G1X has no place between the G15 (whatever it might eventually turn out to be) and the EOS M.

Sure the RX100 gets rave reviews but it has a short zoom and no vari angle screen apart from being pricey for what it is. If the new G15 doesn't have a vari-angled screen the Nikon P7700 might be a better bet once it's sensor and lens have been tested.

One more day of nail biting.

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php

What I meant is that Sony RX series is redefining the concept of compact camera, and in a much more successful way than Sigma DP2 Merrill did. I strongly doubt that the G15 will do the same. Canon looks extremely conservative nowadays, and as such I expect that the G15 will stay below the G1X.

The RX100 is pricey in absolute terms, but a real bargain in relative terms.

Upvote 0
>Albi86

Two steps forward, the sensor and the lens. One step back to the past, removing the swivel screen.

I am not dumping my G11 just yet but I am not happy with the G15 Canon dumped the flipping screen. Talk about a step backwards. I just had notification the G15 will sell in the US at 499$

The Nikon P7700 is not available yet and the lens is an unknown quantity anyhow the same goes for the ƒ1.8 lens on the G15.

I am going to Japan on the 8th of October so there's no way I will be able to get my hands on a P7700 anyway so it looks like the G11 will go on it's third trip to Japan. Be very silly to buy a P7700 in haste.

Canon made the G15 smaller but at what cost, it now has to compete with all the other 'pocketable' cameras and will definitely lose out against the RX100 as it has nothing else to offer against that bigger sensor. What a disaster.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.