G1x 730 at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gman

Re: G1x v new mirrorless v G series

Not at any price!
I picked up one of these recently while on holiday and immediately discounted it as a replacement for my G11, it's too heavy and is not pocketable whilst my little G11 fits in my bum bag.

As to the announcement of a possible mirror-less on the 23rd of July I guess that's not going to suit my needs either as most comments make note of the fact that the only way to keep it small will be to use a pancake prime like with the Olympus OM-D EM5. If Canon do bring out a mirror-less camera I do hope they solve the problem of the ugly EVF hump which is a badly designed piece of kit on the Oly! No retro please, just look at the new Cyber-shot RX100 for beautiful clean lines like a Leica.

Let's wait and see and if it is a lot bigger than the G series then I'll just stick with my G11 until the next iteration of the G series (hopefully) comes along.

Upvote 0
T

TheoBennett

kidnaper said:
Amazon currently has the G1x for sale for $730 shipped. I think that's a pretty good price,

How? Amazon persistently inflate their prices and give scattered arbitrary service on e-sales. "Free shipping" is not always a bargain. Especially with items like Canon cameras that must be imported from Asia in the first place.
Currently you can buy a G1X on the Net for around $600 in HK and Australia. Postal charges at about $50 and global warranty can make the purchase overseas of what is an overseas manufactured item more attractive than buying through the megalith Amazon.
As for size and convenience, you're right the G1X is a bit larger than the G12 . And if you don't want superior images, far better light capture with substantially less signal noise, but prefer small file email images and snapshot monitor viewing or small machine prints only, then the G12 is easier.
Even simpler, why not simply use your smart-phone 8MP camera?
On the other hand, if you want something closer to Leica quality in 'rangefinder' style size digiwhizz then the Fuji X100 beats the Canons hands down for just another couple hundred dollars. That's street price, NOT Amazon or inflated eBay price.
However, whatever gives you joy is the camera you should choose.
-tdb

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.