G7 Picture @ Dpreview.com - High iso quality?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
xps said:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/3041439/g7x-iso1600-img_0042?inalbum=canon-powershot-g7-x-photo-gallery

There are some shots @ higher Iso. IMO, the IQ @ 1600 Iso is a little bit weak. Or am I wrong? Do I expect to much from the G7?

I would like to buy an small camera one for my grandson
Hi xps!

IQ can't be bad, it's a Sony sensor ;)

But let's stay serious:
What do you expect from a 1" sensor, when people are already complaining about performance of an APS-C sensor above 800 or 1600 ISO (depending on the person complaining)?
Of course small cameras are always a compromise between size (sensor and therefore lens size) and IQ.

I think, the G7 X is delivering a really good IQ for that sensor and lens, as far as I can judge from the samples shared on internet.
I am considering it for myself, so I also did some research.

And always be aware which pictures might have been edited and which are direct RAW out of the camera.

By the way, although it's not my business:
How old is your grandson? And how much photography did he already?
I would see a G7 X as a camera for adults or teenagers at least. And someone should also have quite a bit photographical experience to handle the relatively big aperture and the small DOF of that camera.
Otherwise there might be complains like "The picture is always soft and OOF!"

Upvote 0
If you ever used the Sony RX100III, you know what it's going to be like...
But I never liked Sony's JPEG engine, too radical for my taste, let's see what Canon can do here ::)
If you want the best IQ from a compact (excluding the RX1(R)), you have to go for the Panasonic LX100.
Whether this is the right camera for your grandson or not depends, as Maximilian said, on his age and photographic experience.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
xps said:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/3041439/g7x-iso1600-img_0042?inalbum=canon-powershot-g7-x-photo-gallery

There are some shots @ higher Iso. IMO, the IQ @ 1600 Iso is a little bit weak. Or am I wrong? Do I expect to much from the G7?

There is a big diffgerence betwwen "pixel peeper" and viewing the picture on screen. I once shoot some picture in the restuarant with the EOS M at ISO 6400 just for the fun of it. The pictures look great when viewed on a 20 inch screen but I can call them junk when I look at them at pixel level. Do you really want to hand a $800 camera to a 13 years old boy???

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
xps said:
He is 13 years old and needs an low light capable compact cam. Shooting indoor @ discos,...
It should be compact, as he is want to take it with him when he goes flying and doing much sports.

I would not use anything but FF in light that low. A 1" sensor is going to be a big compromise. With people moving in a disco, you need reasonably high shutter speeds, so ISO levels of 6400, 12800 and higher might be needed. Of course, he can possibly get some sort of image if there is a spotlight on the subject, but to capture the colors in low light is just plain difficult.

Also be aware that any laser light show will ruin the camera if the beam hits while the shutter is open. Its a common issue for newbies who try to take video at a laser light show. Warranties don't cover things like that either.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
xps said:

There is a big diffgerence betwwen "pixel peeper" and viewing the picture on screen. I once shoot some picture in the restuarant with the EOS M at ISO 6400 just for the fun of it. The pictures look great when viewed on a 20 inch screen but I can call them junk when I look at them at pixel level. Do you really want to hand a $800 camera to a 13 years old boy???

Why not? In my opinion, it is better, my grandson whishes an g7 for himself, than he would like to have an expensive mobilephone or something else. He uses my 7D (as the 6D´s video is a shame) and 70D to film videos for shool. If something gets broken, it is an good reason to buy the successor ;D

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
xps said:
He is 13 years old and needs an low light capable compact cam. Shooting indoor @ discos,...
It should be compact, as he is want to take it with him when he goes flying and doing much sports.

I would not use anything but FF in light that low. A 1" sensor is going to be a big compromise. With people moving in a disco, you need reasonably high shutter speeds, so ISO levels of 6400, 12800 and higher might be needed. Of course, he can possibly get some sort of image if there is a spotlight on the subject, but to capture the colors in low light is just plain difficult.

Also be aware that any laser light show will ruin the camera if the beam hits while the shutter is open. Its a common issue for newbies who try to take video at a laser light show. Warranties don't cover things like that either.

Thanks. He knows this problem. I know, that an 6D would be better. But to carry this Cam with the 24-70 2.8 around, is to much risk. Better an small camera. Lesser risk.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
xps said:
xps said:

Thanks. He knows this problem. I know, that an 6D would be better. But to carry this Cam with the 24-70 2.8 around, is to much risk. Better an small camera. Lesser risk.
Hi xps and Mt Spokane!

The technical aspects that Mt Spokane described are correct. Especially the fact about laser light.

But I wouldn't give a 13 year old a FF system for that kind of purpose either, even if he was really responsible-minded.
In that case I would also try to take the compromise and with a G7 X he then has a tool that is giving him a lot of possibilities for the future. And for you a really good starting point for a great hobby shared with your grandson.
Sometimes it's not bad to ask the parents first ;)

PS: I did help my father lately with some similar decision for his granddaughter (my niece) and she was less into photo technique and more into picture art (and into fashion), so we ended up with a quite nice FUJIFILM XF1 (of course in red ;) ) and so we didn't have to strech out budget too much as well.
She was totally overwhelmed and happy :D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
xps said:
xps said:

I understand the desire to want small, but if he wants to use it in low light, plan on returning it.

I would suggest a wide aperture f/1.4, f/2, or a 40mm f/2.8 over the 24-70mm L. I bought a G1 X MK II as a compromise, its reasonably small, not tiny, has a large almost APS-C size sensor, can do ISO 3200 in a pinch, and has a fairly large aperture at the wide end of the zoom.

I've yet to try it for low light events, however, here is a theater shot of a stationary subject with my G1 X MK I at ISO 3200 1/25 sec f/5 (New model has faster lens) Its ok for prints 8 X 10, but at 1:1, detail is definitely lost.

This is a jpeg processed from a raw exposure. I went light on NR to retain detail.

Attachments

• Thu-4030.jpg
    Thu-4030.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
xps said:
xps said:

I understand the desire to want small, but if he wants to use it in low light, plan on returning it.

I would suggest a wide aperture f/1.4, f/2, or a 40mm f/2.8 over the 24-70mm L. I bought a G1 X MK II as a compromise, its reasonably small, not tiny, has a large almost APS-C size sensor, can do ISO 3200 in a pinch, and has a fairly large aperture at the wide end of the zoom.

I've yet to try it for low light events, however, here is a theater shot of a stationary subject with my G1 X MK I at ISO 3200 1/25 sec f/5 (New model has faster lens) Its ok for prints 8 X 10, but at 1:1, detail is definitely lost.

This is a jpeg processed from a raw exposure. I went light on NR to retain detail.

That's why I'm scared off by the G1X II, it just loses so much detail at high ISO's...
Still have to decide for myself between Canon G7X and Panasonic LX100... I'm tempted by the size and FL of the Canon, but the handling on the Panasonic is extremely attractive...

Upvote 0
I think, I will switch to the Alpha 5100. It seems to be sharper than the Canon...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_g7x&attr13_1=sony_dscrx100m3&attr13_2=sony_a5100&attr13_3=panasonic_dmclx100&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=125&attr16_1=125&attr16_2=100&attr16_3=100&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.8844455500963991&y=0.1832543697165091

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tayassu said:
That's why I'm scared off by the G1X II, it just loses so much detail at high ISO's...
Still have to decide for myself between Canon G7X and Panasonic LX100... I'm tempted by the size and FL of the Canon, but the handling on the Panasonic is extremely attractive...

At high ISO levels, a G1X II is light years ahead of the Sony and Canon 1 inch sensor cameras, the LX100 is closer. They all have their points, but the G1X II is almost the same as the 70D at high ISO.

If you are concerned about loss of detail at high ISO's, you will need FF to be appreciably better.

Upvote 0